• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Commonwealth Bank Tri-Series

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Good to see Jimmy and Mal, my boys from Lancs, doing well. As for Freddie...meh. He aint right physically at all right now.

Oh and btw, Mal Loye is top class - he'll show you, you'll see! :)
Mahmood was great, too. The best he can hope for at the moment is to not have a negative input into the match, and this is best utilised when he isn't playing. I think England have found the perfect role for him. :P

JPLCCC

Cricket Spectator
Mahmood happens to be a very young inexperienced wildman. Needs a few more years county experience. I think he was fast-tracked when perhaps he shouldn't have been, tbph.

Next one to watch from Lancashire? One Tom Smith. Trust me, I'm a matchgoer. ;)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, his ball that he got White with was one of the balls of the summer I reckon. Not much comment on the Hussey non-dismisal from you Aussies I've noticed. England probably would have won that game if Hussey was given out or walked when he nicked one on 19. He would have known he had hit it so could have walked but chose not to. I guess he would have known they would lose if he walked so I don't really blame him. I blame administrators for not allowing umpires the use of technology like Snicko and Heat-seeker.
Well I don't really think snicko was all that conclusive, but assuming he did hit it, and his reaction suggested that he probably did, he's obviously not obliged to walk. I'd say 90% of batsmen in world cricket would have stayed at the crease, so I don't see it as a huge issue.

Fiery

Banned
Well I don't really think snicko was all that conclusive, but assuming he did hit it, and his reaction suggested that he probably did, he's obviously not obliged to walk. I'd say 90% of batsmen in world cricket would have stayed at the crease, so I don't see it as a huge issue.
Snicko was completely conclusive. If you read my post again, I'm not blaming Hussey. It's a big issue to England fans I'm sure as it was a bad decision in a critical stage of the match. I'm blaming the fish-head bureaucrats for dragging the chain in getting more technology available for umpires to get it right

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Snicko was completely conclusive. If you read my post again, I'm not blaming Hussey at all.
Yeah I get that. I was just giving my view about why people hadn't discussed it much. Personally, I don't really expect a batsman to walk if they edge a ball behind. The odd player will do so, and it'd certainly be a talking point of Gilchrist didn't, but Hussey's never really pased himself off as a walker, and really seems to place a pretty high price on his wicket. You wouldn't have seen Steve Waugh or Bevan walking, and I doubt you'll see Hussey doing it either.

Regarding snicko, I don't think it said anything more than that he was probably out. The noise could possibly have come from the bat flicking his pad, IMO. Just indicated there was some sort of thin noise at about the same time as the ball passed the bat. And really, I think we already knew that just from watching it live.

Fiery

Banned
Yeah I get that. I was just giving my view about why people hadn't discussed it much. Personally, I don't really expect a batsman to walk if they edge a ball behind. The odd player will do so, and it'd certainly be a talking point of Gilchrist didn't, but Hussey's never really pased himself off as a walker, and really seems to place a pretty high price on his wicket. You wouldn't have seen Steve Waugh or Bevan walking, and I doubt you'll see Hussey doing it either.

Regarding snicko, I don't think it said anything more than that he was probably out. The noise could possibly have come from the bat flicking his pad, IMO. Just indicated there was some sort of thin noise at about the same time as the ball passed the bat. And really, I think we already knew that just from watching it live.
Fair enough. I've edited my previous post which might explain my point of view a bit better. The bat was away from the bat at the time the snicko line deviated from what I saw. And these Aussies should probably be walking anyway. They win often enough that it wouldn't make much difference to their results and would set a good standard for cricketers in general. What has happened to the standards in our game? Having all the technology available to catch non-walkers out would discourage dishonesty.

Last edited:

McKanga

School Boy/Girl Captain
...Not much comment on the Hussey non-dismisal from you Aussies I've noticed.....
What's to discuss? Virtually no game takes place where a doubtful or even outright wrong decision doesn't get made.
This was an ODI where we had plenty of overs still to face, not too many runs to get, and a few batsmen left (3 then?).
I completely accept that losing Hussey at that point would have made it much harder for us. But it wasn't as if it decided the Ashes or an ODI final or anything else.
For me the real discussion point of last night was that England looked a lot more formidable, much closer to getting their team mix right.

Last edited:

Fiery

Banned
What's to discuss? Virtually no game takes place where a doubtful or even outright wrong decision doesn't get made.
This was an ODI where we had plenty of overs still to face, not too many runs to get, and a few batsmen left (3 then?).
I completely accept that losing Hussey at that point would have made it much harder for us. But it wasn't as if it decided the Ashes or an ODI final or anything else.
For me the real discussion point of last night was that England looked a lot more formidable, much closer to getting their team mix right.
You should have been a politician McKanga. Downplay the issue at hand and then change the topic. :dry: Nicely done :)

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Hussey snicked it, didnt walk, given not out, bad decision, end of story.

It could have made a big difference to the game but bad decisions are part of the game and as unfortunate as it was its just 1 of those things.

I would never expect a batsman to walk and its just how it goes sometimes.

Fiery

Banned
Hussey snicked it, didnt walk, given not out, bad decision, end of story.

It could have made a big difference to the game but bad decisions are part of the game and as unfortunate as it was its just 1 of those things.

I would never expect a batsman to walk and its just how it goes sometimes.
People seem to be missing my point. I'm not blaming Hussey at all. We need to reduce the number of bad decisions by using the technology that's already available and being wasted. It's not only being wasted it just makes the umpires look foolish and can so easily be avoided. Why do we have to wait so long for the inevitable to happen...umpires having full access to Snicko, Heat-Seeker and Hawkeye. It's bull**** that the public can see it but the umpires can't and the most frustrating thing about cricket for mine

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
People seem to be missing my point. I'm not blaming Hussey at all. We need to reduce the number of bad decisions by using the technology that's already available and being wasted. It's not only being wasted it just makes the umpires look foolish and can so easily be avoided. Why do we have to what so long for the inevitable to happen and umpires having full access to Snicko, Heat-Seeker and Hawkeye. It's bull**** that the public can see it but the umpires can't and the most frustrating thing about cricket for mine
Lets just give the Umpires little Tv's so they can see the replays.

Fiery

Banned
Or why not give each team one and one only chance to appeal a not-out given by an umpire?
I would give them 3 chances just to be sure there are no wrong decisions in an innings (you don't usually get more than 3 bad ones)

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Like they have in tennis, except they can not be enough at times, the players feel they dont want to waste them.

Bad decisions are a part of cricket. Realisticly the ump's do a pretty good job and get the vast majority of decisions right.

The technology is not always conclusive, a snick that small could have been anything, even a tiny edge would usually give a better snick on snicko. I would hazard a guess that the hotspot probably picked nothing up either, its not always conclusive either.

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
Is it safe to say that the Kiwis really need to win tomorrows game to stay in the running?

Australia do have some weaknesses but I guess the Kiwis have to have the players to exploit them. Oram returning is good for them though. And Bind not being badly injured as well!!