• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Commonwealth Bank Tri-Series 2007-08

Laurrz

International Debutant
wd India, very entertaining summer indeed...sad that its over
they are a team on the rise defo

as for Australia.. their will definately be many many critics and ppl predicting slides and such..just gotta role with the punches as they usually do...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It feels so good to stick it to that idiot. I hope Hayden is regretting those comments now.
Not sure if he is the sort who does, though. :)

What a win!!!!!! About 300 guys in my office juz went nuts once we saw the result on the web... Amazing feeling. Sachin is proving that he is INDEED the God of ODI batting... And with young talent like the Sharmas, Chawla, Praveen coming through and guys like Pathan, Yuvraj, Gambhir starting to take up the responsibility, things look exciting for us. But the thing is, we have to keep our heads and the players have to keep looking to improve wherever they can and avoid letting things getting to their head. Let us see if this dawn at least lasts for us.... :)

And Australia have to think through a few things, and soon..... Get the feeling that the brand of cricket they used to play may not be right for them anymore. Interesting to see how they bounce back, but given the way they go about things, I will be surprised if they don't bounce back.

Laurrz

International Debutant
Not sure if he is the sort who does, though. :)

And Australia have to think through a few things, and soon..... Get the feeling that the brand of cricket they used to play may not be right for them anymore. Interesting to see how they bounce back, but given the way they go about things, I will be surprised if they don't bounce back.
yea i dont feel they needa change anything at all..just got beaten by a better team...
the batsmen being terribly out of form doesnt help either.. and of course the good bowling that made sure it stayed that awy

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
**** yeah.... great series win by India.
What was that Hayden... can't win a game? :D
HAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHA

the win feels so awesome... been a great series overall... very competitive and close one.
OH YEAHHH HAHAHAHHAHA OH ****ING YEAHH!!! BABY!!!

Take that Hayden, take that in your face big boy in your face!

INDIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! So damn happy atm.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Well with Gilly & Hogg retired it sort of changes the dynamics of the ODI XI for the near future a fair bit IMO. Question marks will be asked on who should open the batting or whether a spinner is required. This would be my best XI with Australia building now for the Champions trophy later this year.

Hayden/Jaques
Watson
Ponting
Clarke
Symonds
Hussey
Haddin
Hopes
Lee
Johnson/Tait
Bracken

Other squad players: Noffke, D Hussey, White, Hodge, Clark, Hauritz/Cullen.

Hayden/Jaques - well even though i feel he is still hungry to keep playing for Australia i'm not sure how long he is willing to prolong his ODI career for so if he decided to retire in the coming months i would give Jaques a go in the ODI team.

Johnson/Tait - well if Tait recovers in time i'd pick him over Johnson since Tait is more of an impact bowler & ability to take wickets in the final overs is a huge asset.

Hauritz/Cullen - i'd presume the selectors would want to have some varitey within the attack & these two seem like the best option in Australian domestic cricket, but for Australians who have been seeing them playing for their respective states you could probably tell me whether they are good enough to be considered in the near future.

Ohh... well played to India, best all-round balanced Indian ODI set-up i think i've ever seen in my time of watching cricket. Keep building & thats a world-class ODI unit in the making.
Noffke's a four/five day bowler in my eyes, for much the same reasons as Stuart Clark, limited varierty and adaptability, but great fundamentals in the longer form.

I dont think Johnson is or should be under pressure, he's had a bad last three games after that little break, but he was really superb throughout the preliminary rounds of this series, looked Australia's most dangerous bowler to me.

Bryce McGain is probably a better OD spinner than any of Hauritz, Doherty, Cullen, Simpson, Heal, etc.
But at his age he wont be brought into ODI calculations and rightly so.
My preference would be Hauritz, if not then Heal, if not then Doherty, if not then Cullen, if not then bugger it.

I dont know if Jaques is in the selectors good books atm after the way he played in Perth and everytime I look at a NSW scorecard lately he seems to have done bugger-all, still he should come into the picture. Hope Hodge isnt picked, had his chance in India, failed miserably and others have demanded selection more than him throughout this summer (ie D Hussey).

The batting looks jaded with players seemingly unsure of their roles, hopefully the selectors take the oppurtunity to reshuffle things a little..
I like the idea of Hopes at 8 (dosent play spin well enough to be top 7 for me), and Watson opening to give them 5 bowlers.

my squad would be-
Hayden
Watson
Ponting
Clarke
Symonds
Hussey.M
Haddin
Hopes
Lee
Johnson
Bracken
Hussey.D
Hauritz
a seamer (probably Hilfenhaus as Clark/Noffke arent great OD bowlers and no other seamer set the FR cup alight)
Jaques

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
yea i dont feel they needa change anything at all..just got beaten by a better team...
the batsmen being terribly out of form doesnt help either.. and of course the good bowling that made sure it stayed that awy
The thing is, I don't think there is too much wrong with the side... I juz think they need to start playing in a different way. Juz coming out all guns blazing all the time is not going to work against sides who have ppl who can keep bowling good balls and esp. not in conditions which are not the usual flat featherbed batting tracks... Maybe that is the part they need to work out.. They still have a ridiculously high quality batting and bowling side, and they still are the best fielding side in the world, for me....

masterblaster

International Captain
Can't believe Gilchrist won't be a part of this Australian lineup. That's quite possibly the biggest blow a team could ever face. No matter how good Haddin or Ronchi are, they just cannot replace Gilchrist.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Probably be blasted for this. But Gilly, out of form, was one of the biggest loose cannons for us and especially harmful when others were out of form. Nevertheless, he cannot be replaced and will always remain our greatest ODI player.

Anyway. Well done to India.

Poker tournament was even stopped in the pub to watch the final few overs.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
SO GOOD!

Hayden looks like such an idiot now.

Kumar was excellent, and Harbhajan's over after Kumar had been belted was one of the best pieces of bowling you'll ever see by a spin bowler at the death.

Absolutely awesome.

Australia 0-4 in their last four CB series finals. 2-5 in their last 7 :ph34r:

Laurrz

International Debutant
Probably be blasted for this. But Gilly, out of form, was one of the biggest loose cannons for us and especially harmful when others were out of form. Nevertheless, he cannot be replaced and will always remain our greatest ODI player.
i dunno about biggest loose cannons but imo he was too hit and miss really recently... will be good to have Hopes at the top actually....
and Haddin

will be really exciting wtaching a new spinner too... exciting times :)

my team btw

Hayden
Hopes
Punter
Pup
Symo
Huss
Haddin
Lee
Johnson
Bracken
McGain

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
Meh, might get slated for this but it's fairly ordinary to see lack of grace of some people more interested in sticking it to certain players, fans more interested in booing at the presentation ceremony when the player of their choice of MOTS doesn't get the award and people scrounging through I told you so posts (mb banter aside) the second the series is over. Leaves a bad taste and comes across as a touch vindictive. Whatever, expected better, I'm out.

sideshowtim

Banned
Can't believe Gilchrist won't be a part of this Australian lineup. That's quite possibly the biggest blow a team could ever face. No matter how good Haddin or Ronchi are, they just cannot replace Gilchrist.
Nah, I reckon the blow won't be that much...Gilly had been pretty inconsistent for a couple of years and as a result I think Haddin might actually be a bonus. He will be a more consistent performer.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
i dunno about biggest loose cannons but imo he was too hit and miss really recently... will be good to have Hopes at the top actually....
and Haddin
It'd be nice to have a bit of stability for once though. Ponting must feel like a 3rd opener at times.

yaju

State Vice-Captain
LOL @ Hayden and Symonds!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And Ponting as well, he wrote in a column two days ago that India will lose 2-0.

Way to go, Chak De India!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
LOL @ Hayden and Symonds!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And Ponting as well, he wrote in a column two days ago that India will lose 2-0.

Way to go, Chak De India!
Nothing wrong with Ponting saying Australia will win 2-0, he had confidence in his team... he was just wrong.

Hayden though obviously has deserved every bit of criticism he has gotten.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Loved being at the game. Was so happy that the result wasn't decided until the last over.

Love Hopes, such a gun player. Shame he couldn't get us over the line.

Loved the atmosphere.