• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Commonwealth Bank Tri-Series 2007-08

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Loved it, ONCE AGAIN, was jumping around the house at 4 in the morning.

Hayden should've kept his mouth shut. Now look what he did, sealed a series loss for his team :).

jeevan

International 12th Man
After tonight, I am loathe to make predictions....but what the heck...

Australia will crush India on Tuesday and the lights won't get turned on. lol

I was hoping I could say, after Tuesday, that I saw Gilly's last game...but not to be.

Fantastic from India today though - see what happens when you don't lose early wickets against Australia? You actually give yourself a chance.

That's about the first full ODI I have watched this Summer, and heck it was awesome.
Yes, and the scorecard doesnt do justice to Uthappa's little cameo today. As it is, he went to a magnificient catch His shuffling across to every ball still makes me squirm but he certainly did his job today.

RhyZa

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I think Lee is a superb guy, but I also believe he has an inner ultra-competitive edge.

Somewhere along his subconscious there probably comes an aggressiveness bordering on recklessness which cannot be explained off by purely accidental, without entertaining the thought of it being strategical.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
hmm, well played India. This is the worst tri-series batting performance since 2001/02 & in the past i'd say well Australia can quickly get themselves out of such dilemma's but damn i really don't have the confidence. The post Warne/McGrath era is truly here..

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
hmm, well played India. This is the worst tri-series batting performance since 2001/02 & in the past i'd say well Australia can quickly get themselves out of such dilemma's but damn i really don't have the confidence. The post Warne/McGrath era is truly here..

Haha what?? The bowlers haven't been the problem in case you didn't notice, it's been the mediocrity of Australias batsmen that have let them down in all 3 games they've lost this series.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Loved it, ONCE AGAIN, was jumping around the house at 4 in the morning.

Hayden should've kept his mouth shut. Now look what he did, sealed a series loss for his team :).
By making a run-a-ball 80?

T'was good to see Tendulkar among the runs in Sydney again - he would surely want to play there every day!

I thought Australia erred in not playing Clark on the SCG surface. He's troubled Tendulkar this summer and I would have thought his lesser pace and seam movement may have been a better option than a Johnson for that game.

Unsure re. Brisbane attack - do they dump Hogg and run with Clark and Hopes, but leaving a very long tail, given the way th etop order is going, or will they retain status quo? As Clapo said, it's not really the bowlers who have been the problem this summer.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Haha what?? The bowlers haven't been the problem in case you didn't notice, it's been the mediocrity of Australias batsmen that have let them down in all 3 games they've lost this series.
I Know, thats why i said the worst tri-series batting performance since 2001/02.

Burgey

And Lee just happens to do it more than once in awhile. Yeah, it was a mistake, but he certainly does make that mistake a lot more than others. Although not so much in recent times.
That's so, though in this instance he certainly wasn't the only bowler letting waist high or above fullies go in the second innings - iirc Hopes bowled one, as did Johnson.

It actually looked on the replay like he was going for a short one, judging by his head position, and not even a fuller one. tbf to him he looked mortified the second he let it go. Still somethign he and the game can do without. First one he's bowled in about 2 years I think.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Seriously what are you talking about ??? 8-)
What I am saying is, you can see by the way Australia are playing, they haven't been allowed to play their natural game. With all this controversy they've gone on the defensive, it's quite obvious. To now come back and win this series, will be tough, especially the way Australia are playing. I'll be honest they don't look threatening at all, I am not one bit scared as an Indian fan atm. India should easily be able to seal this series if things remain as they are. Now if Hayden hadn't opened his mouth, there is little doubt in my mind that the result would've been different. Very honestly, all this controversy, has put Australia's game on the backfoot... they looked pretty ordinary last night. His comments have only made India a stronger unit and given them the fire needed to win this series. So all I have to say is, thank you and come again Mr. Hayden.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Hogswash.

Not only were the Australians incredible in the field and extremely focused, but Hayden himself scored a run-a-ball 80. IMO, credit should be given to Tendy and Sharma rather than suggesting that Hayden's comments caused the result.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Hogswash.

Not only were the Australians incredible in the field and extremely focused, but Hayden himself scored a run-a-ball 80. IMO, credit should be given to Tendy and Sharma rather than suggesting that Hayden's comments caused the result.
Hayden's run a ball 80 keeps being mentioned, but I am not commenting on Hayden's individual performance. I am talking about the Australians as a unit. And more than just "incredible" fielding and "extreme" focus (to which I disagree, but that's another matter) is needed to win. And even if I agree with you, just for the sake of it, about them being extremely focused, than why did India win? Because of only Tendy and Sharma? No. It was a collective effort on India's behalf. Superb team work, each individual played his part. Whether it was Sharma, Kumar, and Bhajji's good bowling, Uthappa's little cameo, etc etc. And what inspired this fire/collective effort? A lot of things, including Hayden's comments.

pasag

RTDAS
Hayden's run a ball 80 keeps being mentioned, but I am not commenting on Hayden's individual performance. I am talking about the Australians as a unit. And more than just "incredible" fielding and "extreme" focus (to which I disagree, but that's another matter) is needed to win. And even if I agree with you, just for the sake of it, about them being extremely focused, than why did India win? Because of only Tendy and Sharma? No. It was a collective effort on India's behalf. Superb team work, each individual played his part. Whether it was Sharma, Kumar, and Bhajji's good bowling, Uthappa's little cameo, etc etc. And what inspired this fire/collective effort? A lot of things, including Hayden's comments.
Well, you'd hope the chance of winning a final series would be enough to fire them up, tbh. I personally don't like the thought that it takes this stuff to get teams (and a good team, India, at that) going. They should be giving everything automatically, especially for important games like this.

Top_Cat

Well, you'd hope the chance of winning a final series would be enough to fire them up, tbh. I personally don't like the thought that it takes this stuff to get teams (and a good team, India, at that) going. They should be giving everything automatically, especially for important games like this.
Whilst this is true, your opposition giving you the wind-up does help a lot. It could be said that one reason the Aussies were always playing catch-up in Ashes 05 was because England's camp gave them nothing to unite against because they kept their mouths firmly shut throughout. A common enemy unites like little else.

Burgey

What I am saying is, you can see by the way Australia are playing, they haven't been allowed to play their natural game. With all this controversy they've gone on the defensive, it's quite obvious. To now come back and win this series, will be tough, especially the way Australia are playing. I'll be honest they don't look threatening at all, I am not one bit scared as an Indian fan atm. India should easily be able to seal this series if things remain as they are. Now if Hayden hadn't opened his mouth, there is little doubt in my mind that the result would've been different. Very honestly, all this controversy, has put Australia's game on the backfoot... they looked pretty ordinary last night. His comments have only made India a stronger unit and given them the fire needed to win this series. So all I have to say is, thank you and come again Mr. Hayden.
But, the first 2 wickets fell in the first 10 overs to cross-bat shots, followed by a run-a-ball 100 run partnership from a scoreline of 3/24.

I take your point that there has been a fair bit of pressure on the Australians this summer owing to the off-field issues, but if that was them batting in their shells, then their expansive mood would be something to behold.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
But, the first 2 wickets fell in the first 10 overs to cross-bat shots, followed by a run-a-ball 100 run partnership from a scoreline of 3/24.
I disagree about the cross bat shots. Gilly plays a lot of those shots and this time he mis-timed his shot. same is true for Ponting's dismissal. I thought early in the innings the ball wasn't coming onto bat really well and both Gilly and Ponting mis-read the speed of the ball and were a little too early in playing their shots.