• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Bangladesh vs Australia Series

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
that innings of brendan Nash you mentioned Eclipse..... he was 1* at lunch in that game and qld were 0/17 at lunch too i think. So maher wasnt exactly setting the world on fire.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
You'd never have guessed it but good old Steve has got his average back over 50, due to a fine century and a cunning declaration just after he reached it...ahhh well an average of over 50 from 161 matches...you can't say he doesn't deserve it!

Eclipse

International Debutant
Funny how Mark Waugh always looked 10 times more talented than Steven yet Steven is going to go down as One of the worlds greatest ever batsman.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Eclipse said:
Funny how Mark Waugh always looked 10 times more talented than Steven yet Steven is going to go down as One of the worlds greatest ever batsman.
Steve cut down his weaknesses, Mark had some very noticeable flaws that got picked up on. Both superb players but Steve has that "something else" about him.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
yeah, he'd probably rate as the best OD opener ever. or second, i dunno, but he'd get in a team of OD superstars

Mr Mxyzptlk

I think that Mark Waugh is one of the most talented players of all time and far more naturally gifted than Steven. However, Steve seemed to have that fighting instinct that Mark seemed to lack. He valued his wicket and he put so much work and pride into every innings whereas Mark sometimes seemed a bit carefree. Note: I'm not criticizing Mark's commitment to his team. It may just have been his disposition.

Craig

World Traveller
I dont know about being the greatest ever ODI opening batsman, I'm sure Mr Tendulkar, Saeed Anwar, Mr Ganguly would have something to say about that. Also Jayasuryia is pretty good.

Mr Mxyzptlk

1/ Jayasuriya is a good batsman, but he's nowhere near the quality of Mark Waugh IMO.
2/ I would rate Mark Waugh on par with Ganguly at the very least.
3/ Tendulkar and Saeed Anwar may well be a notch above Mark though.

Mr Mxyzptlk

It's all over now. It's amazing how quickly it ended (well maybe not that amazing considering the teams involved). I checked the score earlier and saw it at a respectable 112/2, so I went off to research my article for Cricket Web and I check back a little while later and it's 122/6...pure shock:O (well maybe not that shocking considering the teams involved)...

Eclipse

International Debutant
Mark Waugh could hit the most effortless sixes I have ever seen to any were on the ground.

It was amazing how hard the ball came of his bat when he would hardly seem to hit it.

I think an Indication of how Mark Waugh never quite played to his potential at International level could be seen by looking at his FC record his avrage is about 54-56 with is even better than Steven's.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
yep, Mark was/is a more talented batsman than Steve

and yes, i regard ponting as the best overall batsman in the world atm, and i would say that hes alot better than Waugh overall

Craig

World Traveller
Ponting is in probably the form of his life, I am not taking it away from him though, I do agree that he is probably best in the world.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
My opinion is that, in his current form, ricky ponting is the best player in the world. he is hitting the ball supoibly.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr. Ponting said:
My opinion is that, in his current form, ricky ponting is the best player in the world. he is hitting the ball supoibly.
Tapash Baisya must be a wonderful bowler, then;)