• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Bangladesh vs Australia Series

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Just because Bangar plays a digging in style, he's not automatically due such criticism.
When he can't even play any nice shots, then I can call him boring if I like. Actually I could call him anything I like because this is a free country!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
luckyeddie said:
I sometimes wonder what Rik would have made of Geoff Boycott, Brian Close, Trevor Bailey and one or two others I could care to mention.
Selfish, Brave and Determined...in that order.

Even though a Test match is 5 days, I don't see how a strike rate of 30 runs per 100 balls is likely to help your team win. That is my problem with Bangar. "Creepy" at least plays nice shots, Bangar looks like he's trying to block everything, weather it be good or ball ball.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
What about Damien Martyn?

Didn't he once take around 2 hours to score 5?

Or Mudassar Nazar? Or Rameez Raja? Or The Noob (Pataudi)?

Eclipse

International Debutant
Brendon Nash of Queensland took somthing like 110 balls to make 1 run last seasson I beleve.

I must say I got really board with Crawley in the Ashes and the reason he ended up getting droped was because he was scoring to slow. He actualy had a good avrage but 21 runs off over 200 balls was just rediculas.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I remember one innings in particular (in a game where England beat India) - Leeds, 1967. He was absolutely wonderful to watch. Still one of my all-time great players.

Despite the fact that Boyks hit a double hundred (undefeated) in the same game, England dropped him for 'slow scoring' - and Rik moans about Crawley!.

Rich2001

International Captain
LE - Shame about your guess last night, however if you add the Bangladesh and Australia innings togeter then you was just about spot on!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yup. I went to bed at 35-2 and the wheels fell off in a collapse of Zimbabwe-***-South-Africa-esque proportions.

Rich2001

International Captain
Yep I went to bed pretty much stright after you left, and they were looking quite good and a P/ship was building, wake up to find them all out for 97 :(

However did a fine job of keeping Australia to only 2.2 an over, I don't care what anyone says about Australia having so much time left, Australia by nature are very attacking whoever they play and I can't see them changing their ways now....

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
luckyeddie said:
my mistake.
Fair enough!

BTW you seen Cricinfo's comment on Bangar? Made me chuckle when I saw it.

Profile:
Wisden overview
A feisty allrounder who opens both the batting and the bowling for Railways in India's Ranji Trophy, Sanjay Bangar is an exciting prospect - and something of a lucky mascot for India, who won five and drew one of his first six Tests, including three rare overseas victories. Bangar bowls wicket-to-wicket at a lively pace, and can move the ball both ways. As a batsman, he has been a steady accumulator of runs at domestic level, but also has an impressive fourth gear: his lusty hitting at No. 6 helped the Board President's XI to a victory in the 1998 Wills Trophy. An untimely injury kept him out of cricket for a while, but he returned in style, with a fine hundred against Zimbabwe in only his second Test, batting at No. 7, before moving to the top of the order to play a crucial role in India?s historic innings victory over England at Headingley in 2002.(Amit Varma)
Fiesty? :yawn:

What was even funnier was when Cricinfo had their own (non-Wisden) profile and they called him a "Geniune All-Rounder" hmmmmm

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Hows about we go back to talking about Bangladesh v Australia.

Who reckons it will be over today? I say no. Even if Australia do declare early, (say 350) the ground is really slow and making that should take most of the day. The only way i see Australia winning today is by declaring at 250 and bowling them out for another sub-100 score.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Most impressed with Bangladesh and disappointed with Ponting and Hayden for getting out.

Give Davenell a few years and he'll have them fighting much more closely.

Craig

World Traveller
Lehmann is 94* at lunch.

If you want slow, try Alec Bannerman - he took 3 days to score 96

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Gilchrist batted well, shame about playing on, same with hayden though...

Congrats to Lehmann and Waugh on their centuries, top stuff

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Craig said:
Lehmann is 94* at lunch.

If you want slow, try Alec Bannerman - he took 3 days to score 96
Marlon Samuels took a day and 23 minutes to score 8 against Sri Lanka this year. However, the day was rained out. :D