• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Bangladesh vs Australia Series

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bearing in mind what the likes of David Hookes said beforehand about 'Australia winning in a day', did Bangladesh come out of the game with any credit?

Dav Whatmore seems to think that there were periods within the game when Bangladesh made Australia fight - and the scorebook seems to reflect that.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I think we are all forgetting a certain Mr Brian Lara who's record is even more impressive than Ponting's of late!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It is considering that Lara plays for the West Indies whereas Ponting plays for a slighly better team in Australia. Lara has been on an amazing run of form. IMO, he's near the best form of his career right now, but alot of people just don't seem willing to give him credit for it.:rolleyes:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr. Ponting said:
is it? i wasn't aware of that
Yes, in fact he's top of the rankings...

Also did you manage to miss him batting against Australia? He couldn't stop scoring...

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
The BAnglas fought hard with what they had. The bowling performance was quite good. Mortaza looked handy and the leg spinner wasn't too bad either. The captain however should not bowl himself too much. He bowls at about my pace with about the same quality. Overall they tried to restrict the Aussies and succeeded most of the time keeping them at 2.5 per over for a lot of the match.

The batting looked very frail. Bashar was sound but the rest weren't great.

The Aussies put on a professional performance and will be happy to get a couple of days fishing in at the top end. Love will be looking for a big score next test otherwise I suspect he will be out of the side for good.

Craig

World Traveller
Be fair to Love though, it was a very good ball. It could of happened to anybody, Love was unlucky to get it.

Mr. P

International Vice-Captain
Rik said:
Yes, in fact he's top of the rankings...

Also did you manage to miss him batting against Australia? He couldn't stop scoring...
yes, i did see him, but did you manage to miss PONTING batting against the west indies. i'm led to believe he scored 3 centuries in 3 tests. (including 1 double)

Eclipse

International Debutant
Ponting won the man of the series despite missing one match and he throughly deserved it.

He still has a weeknes on slow pitches IMO you see him cought in the covers, mid off and Cought & Bowled alot when the ball is holding up. He is a great driver of the ball on the up but it's also a weeknes.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr. Ponting said:
yes, i did see him, but did you manage to miss PONTING batting against the west indies. i'm led to believe he scored 3 centuries in 3 tests. (including 1 double)
No I didn't miss it, but in my opinion Lara out did him. More runs against a superior attack...you can't argue with that :)

Ponting had to face a still very weak West Indies attack, Lara had Gillespie, MacGill, McGrath and Lee to face...a bit of a different proposition, except in Lee's case ;)

Eclipse

International Debutant
Rik said:
No I didn't miss it, but in my opinion Lara out did him. More runs against a superior attack...you can't argue with that :)

Ponting had to face a still very weak West Indies attack, Lara had Gillespie, MacGill, McGrath and Lee to face...a bit of a different proposition, except in Lee's case ;)

hmm.. I doubt it Lara avraged about 65-70 and only just passed Ponting for runs yest Ponting played 1 Less match.

Ponting could not have done better week attack or not there is absoultly nothing that can discredit his performance.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Eclipse said:
hmm.. I doubt it Lara avraged about 65-70 and only just passed Ponting for runs yest Ponting played 1 Less match.

Ponting could not have done better week attack or not there is absoultly nothing that can discredit his performance.
I don't doubt it, I feel Lara performed better and that's not going to change. Just look at the differences in the attacks and you will see my reason. The West Indies' was in dissaray bringing in youngster after youngster only to see them and their senior bowls belted around, it was sub-standard and constantly swapped around. Australia had their 1st choice attack minus Warne, with MacGill who is a very decent Leggie who has destroyed the WIndies several times before.

Last edited:

Eclipse

International Debutant
Rik said:
I don't doubt it, I feel Lara performed better and that's not going to change. Just look at the differences in the attacks and you will see my reason. The West Indies' was in dissaray bringing in youngster after youngster only to see them and their senior bowls belted around, Australia had their 1st choice attack minus Warne, with MacGill who is a very decent Leggie who has destroyed the WIndies several times before.
So what would Ponting have to do to win the MOTS award in your opinion. basicly you are saying it would be imposible for him to win it he could not have done any better. He avraged almost 150!!

Any way those that ajudged the MOTS award gave it to Ponting and they are supposedly better judges than us.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Eclipse said:
So what would Ponting have to do to win the MOTS award in your opinion. basicly you are saying it would be imposible for him to win it he could not have done any better. He avraged almost 150!!

Any way those that ajudged the MOTS award gave it to Ponting and they are supposedly better judges than us.
I feel Lara batted better, that opinion is not going to change. Anyway when you realise that it's often ex players like David Hookes and Dennis Lillee who pick the MOS award it doesn't fill you with confidence in their judgement. Then you are also forgetting it is basically impossible for the MOS to be on the loosing side. My opinion is not going to change, so stop bothering to try and change it.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Rik said:
I feel Lara batted better, that opinion is not going to change. Anyway when you realise that it's often ex players like David Hookes and Dennis Lillee who pick the MOS award it doesn't fill you with confidence in their judgement. Then you are also forgetting it is basically impossible for the MOS to be on the loosing side. My opinion is not going to change, so stop bothering to try and change it.
I am not trying to change your opinion I know better :D

It's not true about the MOS awards usualy going to players from the team that wins ether infact it's statisticly been slightly the oposite all bit it very marginal over the last 2 years.

The selectors of the MOS awards were not aussies as I beleve anyway.

Wether he really did deserve it or not (i beleve he did) statisticly he had to get it.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Eclipse said:
In all fairness, MOS awards mean nothing. I remember when Lara won it in the ODI series last time we were in Australia. He had a good series, but it certainly wasn't better than Mark Waugh.
It's not true about the MOS awards usualy going to players from the team that wins ether infact it's statisticly been slightly the oposite all bit it very marginal over the last 2 years.
That's a ridiculous comment. Unless you have researched all MOS awards over the last 2 years (which would mean you don't have a life), how can you say it's statistically so?

I think the MOS award was adjudged by fan voting as well as MOM awards.

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Eclipse said:
Keep in mind the supporting cast which Ponting has as compared to Lara. Lara is surrounded by young players who are still establishing themselves and Ponting is surrounded by clear cut World-class batsmen. Who do you figure was under more pressure?