• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Bangladesh in the West Indies 2018

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
not while playing in Guyana
What, are you suggesting that ODI cricket is played on different pitches and in different conditions? I though it was all done by numbers nowadays?
LO conditions all around the world are pretty much the same now (give or take) plus the approach and batting style all over carries on even on slightly different conditions. That's why you see 300+ scores regularly whether it's England, Australia, India or South Africa

Pakistan scored 308 and lost in Guyana last year and for that Pakistan team, to even score 308 was a herculean task to begin with.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I thought you were above falling into this oversimplification of cricket pitches, can see how others have done so as they seem to lack the basic intelligence to grasp the concept of varying conditions (as shown by their blinkered views) but never expected it of you.

Energetic

U19 Cricketer
Pitch wasn't simple to bat on. I thought Tamim and Shakib both batted well. This was Tamim's 10th ODI 100 in case you didn't know. Someone such as him should be scoring a lot more 100s than that. He's definitely an underachiever of this game. Star performer was actually Mashrafe Mortaza who was terrific with the ball yet again. I hope he achieves 250 ODI wickets before he quits. Someone like him could've quite easily achieved over 300 ODI wickets had his career not been hampered by several injuries. Underrated player. This is clearly their favourite format. They were horrible in the test series. Didn't look like they were interested in it at all.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Another kid takes more than them combined.

His name is Gudakesh Motie Kanhai.
Decided to have a look for some footage, looks a decent young bowler to me. Good accuracy, varies his pace nicely, got a couple to really rip off the pitch. Still pretty young too, do you think he might be good enough to play for the Windies in the future?

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I thought you were above falling into this oversimplification of cricket pitches, can see how others have done so as they seem to lack the basic intelligence to grasp the concept of varying conditions (as shown by their blinkered views) but never expected it of you.
For Test cricket yes the conditions vary greatly. Not for LOI. Ok explain this. How did an Australian team that got thrashed 0-3 in Sri Lanka in Tests on rank turners manage to beat Sri Lanka 4-1 in the ODIs?
If your argument is that Australia is a better ODI team, then before the Test series, people had said that in relation to their Test team too

cnerd123

likes this
That's not evidence

Just because one ODI series was played on pitches flatter than the Test ones in another country almost a year ago doesn't mean that all ODIs are played in homogeneous conditions.

You can't assert this was a flat pitch just by going off last scores either. You have to actually watch the cricket to make a conclusion.

People who've watched the game said this wicket wasn't that good to bat on. They claim that Tamim's innings was good in the circumstances, and this is also evident by the fact that they won heavily. I don't know why you're arguing

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's right that ODI conditions do tend to be much more homogeneous than in Tests. But that's not really relevant when we're talking about one specific match.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
That's not evidence

Just because one ODI series was played on pitches flatter than the Test ones in another country almost a year ago doesn't mean that all ODIs are played in homogeneous conditions.

You can't assert this was a flat pitch just by going off last scores either. You have to actually watch the cricket to make a conclusion.

People who've watched the game said this wicket wasn't that good to bat on. They claim that Tamim's innings was good in the circumstances, and this is also evident by the fact that they won heavily. I don't know why you're arguing
If you actually read my posts, you would see that I have repeatedly said that I fully understand their approach and I did not even criticize Tamim. You read everything as an argument and that explains your confrontational posts. Funny thing is that you and others have been calling Tamim's knock the worst ODI century ever in the previous pages :laugh:

We were having a perfectly civil discussion about LO pitches and conditions around the world. Guyana also sees high scores, maybe not as much as England or India but there is an overall attempt to have standard ODI pitches all around the world that are good for batting and see high totals.

This does not in any way argue that conditions around the world vary because that's absolutely true for Test cricket

The LO pitches in England and the Test pitches in England are a great example. The LO pitches in England, India, Australia, South Africa, Sri Lanka are a lot closer to each other than the respective Test pitches in those parts.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Is this one of the worst century from TAMIM
Wasn't me

If you've batted the entire innings and still finished with a strike rate of 81, that is going to come under severe fire in today's LO cricket. That being said, given the last few months that Bangladesh have had in cricket, losing to Afghanistan and then 43 all out, these things do effect your confidence as a team and makes you more cautious and risk averse in your approach.
Even on slower tracks, you would expect a batsman who has played over 30 overs to at least manage 100 SR in today's ODI cricket. But as I said, I understand the approach given the past few months they've had.

Hope Bangladesh win this series. They really are a better ODI side than West Indies and Sri Lanka ( should have won the tournament earlier in the year)
You didn't say that BD's approach was fine for the pitch. You said it was fine because they were probably scared of getting bowled out cheaply due to recent form. Two different things. You still haven't agreed that this wicket wasn't a flat pitch. You then tried to argue that this pitch must have been flat because the previous game in Guyana was worth 300 runs, and because Aus beat SL 4-0 in ODIs in SL a year ago

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Having watched most of the innings I honestly think it was a bit of both. While Guyana isn't always a low-scoring venue, the pitch was not just slow and hard to score freely on but also taking a quit of turn at random intervals, so I really do think Bangladesh made an above par score (even if only marginally).

In saying that, they were 208/1 for 6 overs to go, and only lost their fourth wicket in the last over. They really should've tried to launch a fair bit earlier after the good early platform Tamim and Shakib had given them, but were (perhaps rightly) concerned about a collapse having been in such low spirits as a batting unit recently.

If Tamim had made 130*(160) and they finished eight down that would have been fine on that wicket, but I don't think it's completely out of bounds to suggest being gun shy cost them a few extra runs that could've seen them lose to a better side, given how few wickets they actually lost.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
BD would have scored 250 nine out of ten times from that position. Tamim/Shakib needed to take the initiative a bit earlier.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
What we need is someone like Saifuddin who can hit big and at the same time not a hack in late order but hes been overlooked. I think he is more of a batting all rounder than bowling all rounder as cited by many in the country. Not used properly.