• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Bangladesh in New Zealand 2016/2017

veganbob

U19 Captain
Errr because he keeps it tight, takes wickets when conditions suit, and contributes in the lower order. He's exactly what nz realistically can hope to get out of a finger spinner.
He doesnt contribute much with bat or ball. He is a number 8 batsman that is an ok bowler when conditions suit. Could be a decent odi player ( not convinced still) but he is an absolute waste of space in our test team. Better to pick a batsman or bowler in his spot. Jeets or Todd astle if we want a spinner.

Last edited:

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oh my. I was expecting nothing but a New Zealand victory but was at least hoping Bangladesh might take the game into the last day.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
He doesnt contribute much with bat or ball. He is a number 8 batsman that is an ok bowler when conditions suit. Could be a decent odi player ( not convinced still) but he is an absolute waste of space in our test team. Better to pick a batsman or bowler in his spot. Jeets or Todd astle if we want a spinner.
Jeets is not a more effective spinner than santa

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Hard to believe how badly NZ have fielded this series. It's a pity it's only Bangladesh so the coaching and cricketing failures will go unpunished.

Nz marks out of 10

Raval 2 committed the cardinal sin of making me actually miss Guptill in whites (albeit only his fielding).
Latham 8 solid series though still found irritating ways to get out and dropped a couple he should've taken.
KW 7 little to boast about besides his downhill hundred at the Basin. But that was a pretty delicious innings all the same.
Taylor 6 looked in sparkling touch but kept finding dumb ways to get out. Also dropped a real sitter.
Nicholls 6 looked truly awful but somehow made runs
de Grandhomme 4 probably bowled better than his figures show, but it's hard to see how he can hang on to his place.
Watling 6 quiet series with the bat, not a bad series with the gloves.
Santner 7 bowled tightly but mostly uneffectively. Handy knock at Wellington.
Southee 5 bowled real dreck at Welly. Improved showing at Chch, but was still gifted a lot of wickets.
Wagner 7 does what he does, and does it well. If the chances that he created were taken, NZ would've won the 1st test by an innings.
Boult 6 looking more of a threat these days with the old ball than the new. Badly needs to work on his seam release.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Raval 2 committed the cardinal sin of making me actually miss Guptill in whites (albeit only his fielding)
I think Guptill would've scored runs against this attack at home as well. Not to say he should necessarily be in the team ahead of someone who is less likely to score against Bangladesh at home but might be able to make a good score against good bowling and/or in adverse conditions bowling sometimes, but there are definitely pros and cons when it comes to Guptill v Raval.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hard to believe how badly NZ have fielded this series. It's a pity it's only Bangladesh so the coaching and cricketing failures will go unpunished.

Nz marks out of 10

Raval 2 committed the cardinal sin of making me actually miss Guptill in whites (albeit only his fielding).
Latham 8 solid series though still found irritating ways to get out and dropped a couple he should've taken.
KW 7 little to boast about besides his downhill hundred at the Basin. But that was a pretty delicious innings all the same.
Taylor 6 looked in sparkling touch but kept finding dumb ways to get out. Also dropped a real sitter.
de Grandhomme 4 probably bowled better than his figures show, but it's hard to see how he can hang on to his place.
Southee 5 bowled real dreck at Welly. Improved showing at Chch, but was still gifted a lot of wickets.
Wagner 7 does what he does, and does it well.
Boult 6 looking more of a threat these days with the old ball than the new. Badly needs to work on his seam release.
A little harsh on Raval, probably a 3 tbf. Even this innings of 33 was handy when chasing 111 to win the game, and mitigating the unlikely chance of a collapse.

Zinzan

I think Guptill would've scored runs against this attack at home as well. Not to say he should necessarily be in the team ahead of someone who is less likely to score against Bangladesh at home but might be able to make a good score against good bowling and/or in adverse conditions bowling sometimes, but there are definitely pros and cons when it comes to Guptill v Raval.
I think the fact Raval scored runs against a better attack that this is worth considering along with that thought. The prospect of Guptill vs. Amir with a new red cherry isn't so assuring.

Burgey

Well done NZ. After a mostly tight first test match they comprehensively blew Bangladesh away here. Credit to them, they can only play what's put in front of them and they've had a good home summer when you look back at the Pakistan series as well. Still a few holes to fill, but most sides have those these days, some more than others.

Dunno what to say about Bangladesh. They're having a go I suppose. Can't fault them for that. Just hope they don't end up being like SL in 30 years' time, where they really haven't improved away at all since they were minnows and get beaten up all over the place despite producing the odd very good/ great player from time to time. You'd hope that doesn't happen to them.

Zinzan

Well done NZ. After a mostly tight first test match they comprehensively blew Bangladesh away here. Credit to them, they can only play what's put in front of them and they've had a good home summer when you look back at the Pakistan series as well. Still a few holes to fill, but most sides have those these days, some more than others.

Dunno what to say about Bangladesh. They're having a go I suppose. Can't fault them for that. Just hope they don't end up being like SL in 30 years' time, where they really haven't improved away at all since they were minnows and get beaten up all over the place despite producing the odd very good/ great player from time to time. You'd hope that doesn't happen to them.
Mate, I'd say they'll do well to get anywhere near what SL were achieving after 20 years of Test cricket. The Lankans are doing it rough away from home atm, but they were competitive for most of the 2000s, saying nothing about their away series victory against NZ in 1995 (Horrible memory still), just 12 years after their entry into Tests.

veganbob

U19 Captain

Srilanka?? They have a better cricket record than NZ in last 20 years so I dont think we can take swipes at lanka

veganbob

U19 Captain

Nz marks out of 10

Wagner 7 does what he does, and does it well. If the chances that he created were taken, NZ would've won the 1st test by an innings.
Watling should be no more than 3, had a horror series with bat and dropped a catch.

Southee should be 7 or 8 nicholls 7. Wagner bowled well but was awful vs the tail today, dont know how you can rate him ahead of southee for this series apart from personal bias. I consider wagner a better bowler than southee these days but southee should be rated higher this series

vcs

Sri Lanka over most of the 2000s were at least as good as India/England and definitely better than Pakistan, NZ etc.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Watling should be no more than 3, had a horror series with bat and dropped a catch.

Southee should be 7 or 8 nicholls 7. Wagner bowled well but was awful vs the tail today, dont know how you can rate him ahead of southee for this series apart from personal bias. I consider wagner a better bowler than southee these days but southee should be rated higher this series
Southee was terrible at the Basin Reserve. He bowled better in this test (albeit still not great), but took, what 3/180 at the Basin and those figures flattered him. Wagner was by far the more consistent bowler, and finished with a better average despite being the primary victim of the slips rubbing in cooking oil onto their palms every session before heading out to field..

Last edited: