• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Bangladesh in England

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You can already tell that Hughes is going to be about as controversial as Matthew Hayden is on here, but I have little doubt that he will score as many runs.

TumTum

Banned
You've obviously not seen many pitches if that's the greenest one you've ever seen. Had a bit of live grass on it, but it wasn't exceptionally green. He was dropped first ball, flashing at one outside off-stump, wasn't a particularly difficult chance either. Sami targetted him early with back of a length bowling aimed towards his body, and he looked as unconvincing there as he did in the Ashes. Followed that up by flashing at another one outside off, was then tucked up again, before ultimately driving loosely to another fairly wide delivery. It was not a pretty innings at all, looked very unconvincing against one of the worst bowlers currently playing Test cricket. The pitch really didn't play a part in that 0.
Did you watch the match live? When the 1st ball was being bowled to Watson, the pitch had the exact same color with the outfield :laugh:

greeeeeeeeeen.jpg

One of the worst bowling attacks? Asif on a green pitch is the deadliest bowler ATM.

So what if Hughes was flashing at wide deliveries, that's how he plays and scores his runs, you don't get an average of 60 at FC level with 13 centuries being a fluky player and relying on luck.

King Pietersen

International Captain
I was watching extended highlights of the 1st day when I made that post. The pitch had a bit of grass on it, but that had no impact on Hughes' innings, as it wasn't the pitch that led to his downfall. It was an inability to play the short ball, and flashing wildly outside the off-stump against a swinging ball bowled at over 85mph. He wasn't undone by a ball moved inches off the seam after hitting the deck.

I mentioned nothing about the 'bowling attack', but more the bowler that had Hughes in so much trouble, Sami.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha, I remember Warne came out before the series and said he would fail aswell.
Yep those are mind games...not the first time I have seen Australians play mind games and get on top of a player..It is the ultimate test of a player's strength of character I guess..
Those who are relatively stronger are able to get back on top within a match or two.
For example before the Australia-South Africa semi final in 2007 WC,
Ponting was asked about South Africa's best batsman Kallis and how Australia planned to attack him.
He replied he was hardly concerned about Kallis as his strike rate is so low, him batting for long is actually a bonus for Australia as that would ensure South Africa score at a lesser run rate.

The result?
McGrath bowling to Kallis.
Kallis comes down the track first ball ( I have never seen him do this ever)
Second ball.
Kallis comes down the track
Third ball
Kallis comes down the track
fuller length
bowled.

South Africa were skitlled out for 150 or something in that match.

andyc

Not sure why people don't rate Hughes. Find me another 21 year old who averages near 60 in the toughest FC competition in the world, over 50 in Tests, and has made twin tons against the (then) best team in the world. It's not as if the English were the first bowlers to see him for the tiny bloke with an unconvential technique that he is and decide that a short ball might be a good idea. He only played the three innings in England, one of which was a strangle down the leg side FFS, and before that he was averaging 100+ in the contry.

He's not the finished package, but AFAIK no one's saying he is. Happy to say he'll end up with a 50+ average though.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Ok here is my take on Hughes.
So far what I have seen of him, he is not great. I remember a particular instance in the Ashes 2009 when Flintoff basically toyed with him for one over and got him out the next.
However, he did score heavily against a pretty decent bowling attack at their very own den. That cannot be ignored.
As has been mentioned, he does have a very healthy average in Australian FC cricket which is perhaps the best in the world. He is backed by Ian Chappell..
He might aswell end with an average of 50.. When Hayden started, he was pretty ordinary too..and then he had a rebirth in 2001.
So you never know. Although it might be a while before he makes it to the team with Watson and Katich both on song.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I guess if he fails it will tell us that he is certainly not ready for test cricket at this point but I am not really sure what him doing well will teach us.
Same thing could be said if he goes back to Middlesex and piles on the runs as well though.

By doing well against Bangladesh he will at least answer some questions about whether he's got the mentality to succeed at Test level.

edit: There's only 2 County Championship games anyway until the start of the domestic T20 Cup, both of which clash with the Bangladesh Tests. There's a further Championship game at the end of June, which clashes with the 3rd and 4th ODIs against Australia, so in terms of experience, sending Morgan back to County Cricket doesn't actually do a whole lot for him. The next County game which doesn't clash with international commitments is on July 21st, which is the only First Class match Morgan can play which doesn't clash with international fixtures, assuming he stays in the Test side throughout the summer.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's not the finished package, but AFAIK no one's saying he is. Happy to say he'll end up with a 50+ average though.
The thing is the way you Aussies were hyping him up he was going to score a bucketfull of runs and then the other hyped up duo of Johnson and Siddle would destroy us ala Lillee and Thommo,neither happened and we won with Hughes and co going home tail between their legs.They may do for us next winter,who knows but the fact is they haven't lived up to the ridiculous hype you Aussies gave them so why have a go at us for pointing out your errors?

One thing you can say,Hughes can't be that great if he is an opener who can't displace two makeshift ones in the test side.

Last edited:

Pothas

Why are we discussing Australia's openers in an England-Bangladesh tour thread?
Because people seem to have developed a pathological hatred for Phillip Hughes.

Anyway in an unsubtle atempt to bring this back on topic what do you think happens if Trott fails and Morgan does well? Would it be an automatic replacement? With Bell going back to 3 yet again :mellow:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anyway in an unsubtle atempt to bring this back on topic what do you think happens if Trott fails and Morgan does well? Would it be an automatic replacement? With Bell going back to 3 yet again :mellow:
Hope not.Not convinced about Trott anyway but moving Bell back to 3 would be a mistake.I'd like to see us push KP up to 3 now but that won't happen anyway.

If Morgan does well he may take Bell's place in the winter as Bell doesn't have a good record against the Aussies and they will no doubt try to play on that.Morgan seems unflappable but we don't know about test cricket and his technique yet.Interesting things for our selectors to ponder,glad it isn't my decision.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Bell's record against Australia is overplayed. Since the 2005 series he's scored 6 50s in 8 Tests vs Australia. While his record against Australia isn't anything special, it's not dreadful either if you remove 2005.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Pietersen upto 3 surely? Best player, has the technique to take on the new ball bowlers and if Trott fails KP should step up, as Bell just hasn't been good enough at 3.

Bell has to bat at either 5 or 6. His record there is brilliant, he was superb in South Africa, and his place should be secure for a decent length of time.

Last edited:

Pothas

Pietersen upto 3 surely? Best player, has the technique to take on the new ball bowlers and if Trott fails KP should step up, as Bell just hasn't been good enough at 3.

Bell has to bat at either 5 or 6. His record there is brilliant, he was superb in South Africa, and his place should be secure for a decent length of time.
Yeah I agree, am a big fan of Bell at 5 or 6, just think them moving Bell would be the most likely outcome.

This is all a bit premature anyway, I actually think Trott will do enough to go into the Ashes at number 3, if he finishes them is another matter of course.

King Pietersen

International Captain
I personally don't think they'd risk moving him up to 3 again. I'm sure even the England management have realised he's not a number 3. Bring back Bopara TBH. A proper Number 3. :ph34r: