• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australian Domestic Thread 2014/15

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Not in any competitive sense that I'm aware of. I quite like the idea of two day games but over two weekends just seems really odd to me.
It's how most of the club cricket is played here, in my area at least. Two day games over two Saturdays. I can see why it'd seem odd but it works really well. We have one dayers too but they're usually played either side of the Christmas break when players are less likely to be available two weeks in a row.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I think the difference in two day and one day games is probably because, and as a result of, the fact club cricket isn't really a road to professional cricket in England like it is in Australia. From a purely personal point of view as a player though, I really wouldn't like the idea of having to commit a whole Saturday to playing only to not actually get to do my preferred discipline every second week.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think the difference in two day and one day games is probably because, and as a result of, the fact club cricket isn't really a road to professional cricket in England like it is in Australia. From a purely personal point of view as a player though, I really wouldn't like the idea of having to commit a whole Saturday to playing only to not actually get to do my preferred discipline every second week.
Team usually do both on the same day.. but it's often a 90/10 split or something like that I suppose. Sometimes teams actually win outright in two weeks.

Riggins

International Captain
It's even stranger when you get a state game or something on over one of the weekends but not the other. You get guys sliding between grades so you could easily field 3 or 4 saturdays in a row.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
It's even stranger when you get a state game or something on over one of the weekends but not the other. You get guys sliding between grades so you could easily field 3 or 4 saturdays in a row.
Wait so can you make team changes for the different days?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Wait so can you make team changes for the different days?

Depends on the competition rules. At lower levels you can usually make a couple of changes based on availability as long as you nominate them before the toss. At higher levels, changes are usually only allowed if players get called up for higher honours.. but that obviously has a flow on effect all the way down the chain as players keep getting called up to cover for others who were called up.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A cricket nuff in Victoria has put every 1st XI district game EVER on Cricket Archive. Amazing.

For example, here's the famous grand final where Bill Lawry told the opposition they shouldn't have declared, then went into his own rooms, told Northcote he'll get half of them and you blokes get the rest.

The Home of CricketArchive
Tragic isn't a strong enough word to describe that sort of dedication

Obviously not on display in Sydney as I searched my name and the only reference it came up with for Sydney grade was some totally random fixture of no particular significance

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Depends on the competition rules. At lower levels you can usually make a couple of changes based on availability as long as you nominate them before the toss. At higher levels, changes are usually only allowed if players get called up for higher honours.. but that obviously has a flow on effect all the way down the chain as players keep getting called up to cover for others who were called up.
Yeah, in our park stuff we can nominate a 12th man to substitute in during the second week (they're a full player, provided the guy they're replacing hasn't batted or bowled in that innings). In junior cricket here you can usually name 13, of which any 11 can bat and any 11 can bowl, so players aren't sitting off the whole game.

Then, obviously, if guys get called up for Grade cricket you can replace them. Led to some problems in our club's U/16A side this year -- about 5 of them were pushing for Grade selection at various points, and there weren't many replacements without leaving other sides short. So for the last hour of the game each Saturday, they were usually playing with 9 guys.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Things have actually changed quite a lot

When I first started playing grade, there were no one-dayers

Furthermore, when initially introduced, there was no maximum number of overs for one-day games so it was possible for the team batting first to bat all day (and some did :laugh:)

They then introduced 2 day matches played across one weekend but quite a few players objected to them at first

Now there is also a T20 comp

Bottom line is that "the bad old days" where you might not get a bat for a few weeks (or longer if weather intervened) is not such an issue

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Tragic isn't a strong enough word to describe that sort of dedication

Obviously not on display in Sydney as I searched my name and the only reference it came up with for Sydney grade was some totally random fixture of no particular significance
To be fair, the guy responsible did a big book on district cricket for its 100th year and I believe is paid by Cricket Victoria.