• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australian Domestic Season Thread

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Bowls high 120's-130's and bats 5-6 whats wrong with that?
I think he will always be somewhat of a bits and pieces player. He hardly gets it above 130, and bats a lot at 7 and 8. If he ever played international cricket i think he will be found out pretty quick. Looks like a handy FC cricketer, at best really.

brockley

International Captain
Charminda NSW have played well in the games they won and crap in the ones we lost.
I still think we will take out the title myself with katich back we have a much better batting line up,i think tassie's batting is quite fragile,apart from diva and deighton.
NSW and qld have had to carry the weight of international players lost + injuries and look where they ended up.QLD missed a state final by 2 points.
I would say the only state that looks unhealthy is south australia which is full of the aged and amateurs.
I consider the gap between australia and south africa/england large,and nz i rate their competition as strong as grade cricket,our 2nd xl competition is stronger.
I think the fact the pura cup has been close the last 2 years proves the depth of competitive sides we have.
New south wales will always produce more international players because of its large population.
BYW did you read shane watson will move in with his gf in sydney,looks like he will be a blue next year.
Tassie has had a good run but they can't win every game i expect them to falter.
Butterworth at 6 means the tassie tail starts at 6.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I think the even nature of the competition is more to do with more players moving inter state, which means the side are a bit more evenly matched. But looking at a lot of sides most rely heavierly on 3 to 4 batsmen and 2 to 3 bowlers. The depth isn't really there anymore IMO. Most sides are looking very much like English and South African FC sides, five to six good players and rest mediocre.

mikeW

International Vice-Captain
This seasons pura cup certainly was even. Vics beat NSW twice, QLD beat Vics twice but couldnt beat NSW. Still think Vics should've made it. Tas will win it imo, Dighton and Di Venuto are in some serious form and there bowling is probably the strongest in Australia.

brockley

International Captain
Charminda the aussie competition hasn't been strong for years in that regard since the days internationals regularly played domestic cricket.
I think the real farce is you have players like mathew elliot still playing he hasn't had a good shiled season in 3 years,jamie cox hung on for years with mediocre form.
Still we are still producing international players and having close contests thats all we can ask.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Still we are still producing international players and having close contests thats all we can ask.
Close contests don't automatically mean the quality is good.

As for these International players that are being produced - who exactly is there who has come in to the Australian side as a recent product of the domestic game and done well?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Not yet really still very much unproven, especially if you consider his preformances in NZ. One could argue the later if you just look at that.

brockley

International Captain
Vic would you be willing to have matt elliot in the victorian side with a batting average of 17 this season from 8 games.
BTW heard vics are chasing mathew wade and xavier doherty,sorry jack you will just have to wait in line.

mikeW

International Vice-Captain
Vic would you be willing to have matt elliot in the victorian side with a batting average of 17 this season from 8 games.
BTW heard vics are chasing mathew wade and xavier doherty,sorry jack you will just have to wait in line.
You got this from another forum didnt you?

brockley

International Captain
The part about matt elliot no.
The rumour yes,i didn't make it up.
Anyway the mathew wade rumour came out in the newspapers yesterday.
Whoever posted it,posted it before the newspapers got hold of it.
As to matt elliot 100,000 a season,i bet they wish they could offload him or cut his contract in half because he won't play pura cup next year.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Not yet really still very much unproven, especially if you consider his preformances in NZ. One could argue the later if you just look at that.
Well, considering Marc said "recently" I doubt one could be expected to name a proven player with 50 tests under his belt...

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
Coming from a state that took a long time to win its first shield, I'm telling the Tassies the first one is the sweetest. Just lay down a strip of concrete, win the toss, bat for 5 days and make 1500. No one really remembers HOW you win, just that you did. Now that Queensland can't win I hope Tasmania gets its first. Go the tigers.

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
I actually think we are better off producing a pitch with a bit in it for the bowlers. NSW's entire pace bowling attack is in the West Indies and with Hilfenhaus, Wright and Griffith (A bit of a risk if he is included, I don't think he has played post Christmas because of injury) we certainly have the advantage in that department. If we produce a road, NSW win the toss, Katich and Jaques get stuck in and then our batting line up, which can be brittle - Butterworth at 6!!!, has to face MacGill on the 5th day then we could be in big trouble. I think we need to win outright to collect the shield. Fingers crossed anyway.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Man got to feel sorry for Mark Cameron, bowled quite well since his re-call and he gets dropped. Nathan Hauritz did come in for Beau Casson, but really they should have picked the extra seamer. Casson is also unlucky played hard all season and then gets dropped for the final.

Janice

Cricket Spectator
Janice Looking for Cricketer Chris Rogers

By any chance are you the Cricketer Chris Rogers that I met in a club in N.Y. on Fri, June 20, 2008. If so, i have been trying to find a way to email you but have not been having much luck. I don't know if you remember me or not but if you do i would love to chat with you. You can email me directly at jlinkjan@aol.com. Hope to hear from ya! Janice

Janice

Cricket Spectator
whats so funny???

why is that so funny. He was actually a lot of fun to hang out with and believe me im not mediocre looking! Hey, if you know him can you give him this message. I have been trying very hard to locate him.