• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia vs West Indies - Frank Worrell Trophy 2022

Sunil1z

International Regular
How will this bowling line up perform against WI at home ?
Jhye Richardson
Boland
Neser
Lyon
Green

surely you can rest your main quicks against WI at home ?

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
How will this bowling line up perform against WI at home ?
Jhye Richardson
Boland
Neser
Lyon
Green

surely you can rest your main quicks against WI at home ?
Agreed. The Aussie selectors actually ruined Starc by playing him only in tests and ODIs and him not playing even in franchise T20s. A limited overs ATG got lost there.

Now, they continue playing him in tests which is his worst format while someone like Boland could have been totally justified to play in his place.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Agreed. The Aussie selectors actually ruined Starc by playing him only in tests and ODIs and him not playing even in franchise T20s. A limited overs ATG got lost there.

Now, they continue playing him in tests which is his worst format while someone like Boland could have been totally justified to play in his place.
Starc is still an ODI goat, so does it really matter?

Gob

International Coach

Lol

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
As an England supporter I always want the Aussies to lose :laughing: but it's doubly so as they're playing the W Indies.

As someone who grew up watching the great W Indian sides of the 1980's, their demise as a force in test cricket is really sad.

Test cricket needs a strong W Indies side and hopefully they can compete in this series.

If they could also injure a few Aussie batsmen ahead of next years Ashes, that would be an added bonus :thumbup1:
So our test team has actually had a decentish year. We haven't lost a series yet. This has been on the strength of our seam bowling which has been generally excellent. This bowling lineup is a lot stronger than the one that last came to Australia, though the kookaburra ball is a challenge for sure.

As others have said though, our batting still remains very average, relying on a solid lower order to post respectable scores. That won't cut it in Australia against this attack. I expect similar things to our home series against South Africa, where our bowling got them in trouble every time before De Kock or someone else played a rescue innings. We were then bowled out for not a lot every time.

The Day Night test is going to be particularly tricky. I don't think that will be fun. I'm just hoping one or two batsmen have a good personal series, which gets some runs on the board and brings our seamers into the contest.

BazBall21

International Regular
Obviously a hopeless match-up and can see the commentators talking about the great Aus-WI battles of the past (90s in particular) as much as they talk about the actual games.
I think Jayden Seales having a positive tour is probably the best WI can hope for. Holder desperately needs a good tour of SA, not expecting much in Aus, where they generally demolish poorly-equipped attacks which is everyone except South Africa and India. The batting? Kraigg Brathwaite will get destroyed, very technically unsuited to fast pitches. No coincidence his best performance came in UAE, where conditions require you to grind. Needless to say the others don't have much chance either. Kyle Mayers has the back-foot stroke game but don't see him surviving against quality pace, he never has done before in Tests. Personally think Blackwood is probably their best bat of a very bad bunch but got to think his hands position will be an issue in Australia given he's 5ft2.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Australia squad: Pat Cummins (c), Scott Boland, Alex Carey, Cameron Green, Marcus Harris, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Steve Smith, Mitchell Starc, David Warner
No Jhye? Obviously Boland took his chance but I'd have thought Richardson would be the one pushing for a regular Test spot (when/if fit).

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No Jhye? Obviously Boland took his chance but I'd have thought Richardson would be the one pushing for a regular Test spot (when/if fit).
Well he's just injured his heel, but their 'easing' of his workload has reached comical proportions, especially when we keep picking bowlers worse than him across all formats. He'll be losing match fitness and skills practice at this rate.

Beamer

Obviously a hopeless match-up and can see the commentators talking about the great Aus-WI battles of the past (90s in particular) as much as they talk about the actual games.
I think Jayden Seales having a positive tour is probably the best WI can hope for. Holder desperately needs a good tour of SA, not expecting much in Aus, where they generally demolish poorly-equipped attacks which is everyone except South Africa and India. The batting? Kraigg Brathwaite will get destroyed, very technically unsuited to fast pitches. No coincidence his best performance came in UAE, where conditions require you to grind. Needless to say the others don't have much chance either. Kyle Mayers has the back-foot stroke game but don't see him surviving against quality pace, he never has done before in Tests. Personally think Blackwood is probably their best bat of a very bad bunch but got to think his hands position will be an issue in Australia given he's 5ft2.
Kraigg is a weird one, he actually batted pretty well on the last tour of Australia, scoring uncharacteristically quickly. Jason Holder the batsman is probably the most technically equipped to deal with Aussie conditions if he can stop being a happy hooker. Joshua Da Silva has an excellent technique, I'm looking forward to seeing how he goes, even though it is hard to do anything when you're bizarrely left to bat at 8. The rest will likely be a struggle, though maybe Tage will at least stick around for a bit.

BazBall21

International Regular
Kraigg is a weird one, he actually batted pretty well on the last tour of Australia, scoring uncharacteristically quickly. Jason Holder the batsman is probably the most technically equipped to deal with Aussie conditions if he can stop being a happy hooker. Joshua Da Silva has an excellent technique, I'm looking forward to seeing how he goes, even though it is hard to do anything when you're bizarrely left to bat at 8. The rest will likely be a struggle, though maybe Tage will at least stick around for a bit.
Big fan of JDS. Very good basic technique, the best in the team. Should definitely be trusted to bat higher up, don’t think he’s suited to Australia though. Bonner isn’t either. Hope the new Chanderpaul goes well. Agree on Holder fundamentally but I have minimal hopes for him this winter with the bat, has really fallen off since his glorious double hundred against us.

Beamer

Big fan of JDS. Very good basic technique, the best in the team. Should definitely be trusted to bat higher up, don’t think he’s suited to Australia though. Bonner isn’t either. Hope the new Chanderpaul goes well. Agree on Holder fundamentally but I have minimal hopes for him this winter with the bat, has really fallen off since his glorious double hundred against us.
Bonner is the one I'm worried about. He plays with very low hands and has so far struggled against real pace bowling whilst filling his boots against spin and medium pace. I expect him to really struggle.

BazBall21

International Regular
Bonner is the one I'm worried about. He plays with very low hands and has so far struggled against real pace bowling whilst filling his boots against spin and medium pace. I expect him to really struggle.
Agree totally. Has the patience to grind it out against mediocre bowling on slow pitches but on fast pitches against proper bowling think he’s out of his depth. Not a big fan of him. Think Blackwood is better despite being an idiot.

BazBall21

International Regular
Bonner is another WI front foot player that can’t play against extra bounce. Can say the same for Brathwaite, Chase, Hope and Dowrich.

Beamer

Horrible against the extra bounce = (All Windies batsmen)
It's no accident. This is the generation that grew up on terrible pitches where the ball kept very low. Some decent work has gone into our pitches so hopefully the next generation will benefit. This lot are beyond hope, we just have to hope they adjust and manage to score some runs.

BazBall21

International Regular
Jeez, things have sure changed since WI were all back foot players who couldn't handle the soft low pitches in the land of the long white clouds.
Yes. I’ve said for ages WI being uniquely useless against pace and bounce and far closer to being competent on slow pitches (both turning and soft) shows how much times have changed.