• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia vs West Indies - Frank Worrell Trophy 2022

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
I really hope that West Indies go for the lower order formula that worked against England .

6.Mayers
7.Holder
8.Da Silva (WK)

I feel this batting order really made the Windies greater than the sum of their parts against quality seamers
It has certainly been a feature of our test side that the lower order sticks around for the most part. We have Alzarri at 9 as well who is surprisingly good with the bat and Roach at 10 who is very solid. It does seem a criminal waste of Joshua Da Silva's talents to have him at 8 though.

Gob

International Coach
So are the likely sides...

Warner, Khawaja, Labuschagne, Smith, Head, Green, Carey (wk), Cummins, Hazelwood, Starc, Lyon

vs

Braithwaite, Chanderpaul, Bonner, Mayers, Blackwood, Holder, Da Silva (wk), Chase, Joseph, Roach, Seales

Lord have mercy, I will be watching us bat from behind the sofa. Note the fact Chase is there is an absolute travesty but now he is they will definitely play him.
This is probably the first time since I cant recall when (probably since the summer of 07/08) that Australia are starting a summer with the team that I think the best they've got. I can't tell if this was the best Aust team since that time but there were always odd individual I didn't want there (looking at you Hogg, Siddle, North, Bailey, Harris etc)

I meant Marcus obvs not Ryan

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
As an England supporter I always want the Aussies to lose :laughing: but it's doubly so as they're playing the W Indies.

As someone who grew up watching the great W Indian sides of the 1980's, their demise as a force in test cricket is really sad.

Test cricket needs a strong W Indies side and hopefully they can compete in this series.

If they could also injure a few Aussie batsmen ahead of next years Ashes, that would be an added bonus :thumbup1:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
The biggest problem is that for the Windies, apart from the obvious batting issues, is that they’re just pretty average with the kookaburra

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
2 Tests what are we NZ now
He and Cameron Green are the only real weak links (at least potentially) I see though tbh. Everyone else is decent to brilliant. It's going to be a long old tour for us even though it's so short :laugh:
Imagine having a team where Cameron Green is the weak link, sign me up

Gob

International Coach
Handscomb would actually be the ideal bloke to bat at five in India

Now that I think about it

TheJediBrah

Aus will be a lot better off if Peter uses his Hands to bat and Travis uses his Head to calculate cordial dilutions

Daemon

It's weird how this series feels like it's played too often when in reality it was last played in 2015/16 and it only feels fresh in the memory because of the intensity of the pummelling WI received.

3 batsmen from Australia averaged over 100. The best bowler from WI was Warrican who took 5 wickets at 76 apiece.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Honestly I think how this series goes for the West Indies depends a lot on now the pitches are. Typically flat Australian Test decks and I expect a real struggle, can't see the WI bowling doing that much while the batting does slightly better than expected but still lot great, however if there are more lively pitch conditions like last summer I fully expect Roach to roll the Aus batting lineup in at least one innings, however the batting will likely look even more dire

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Would be great to help Scotty B maintain that average!
Honestly, against this WI batting lineup, that is very much plausible

While if the regular bowing attack are all fit I wouldn't have Boland in my first test starting XI, he has shown that he will not let Australia down if called upon. Well and truly usurped Michael Neser as the reliable and experienced Shield stalwart within this Australian Test setup

TheJediBrah

Honestly, against this WI batting lineup, that is very much plausible

While if the regular bowing attack are all fit I wouldn't have Boland in my first test starting XI, he has shown that he will not let Australia down if called upon. Well and truly usurped Michael Neser as the reliable and experienced Shield stalwart within this Australian Test setup
Depends on conditions for me. If it's looking flat I would go with Starc, but if there's life in the deck or it's looking like a bit of seam movement you have to go with Boland

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Depends on conditions for me. If it's looking flat I would go with Starc, but if there's life in the deck or it's looking like a bit of seam movement you have to go with Boland
As much as you rate Starc a fair bit lower than he perhaps should be rated imo, I honestly don't mind that idea at all