• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia vs New Zealand ODIs 2016/17

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Little too easy for the batsmen right now? Just as Southee was starting to get some sort of a plan for Smith going.

EDIT: 2 misfields from Guptill sums things up at the moment

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Speaking of Bmac, I grabbed his book yesterday. Not the worst read early-doors, but lacking some insights into characters in the game I was hoping for. That said, I still have the infamous captaincy/Ross chapter to go.

Blocky

Banned
Speaking of Bmac, I grabbed his book yesterday. Not the worst read early-doors, but lacking some insights into characters in the game I was hoping for. That said, I still have the infamous captaincy/Ross chapter to go.
For me, he spent too much time on people like Mark Reason and Chris Cairns and not enough time on his own story, it was interesting to get the insights as in the absence of a Vettori biography, he's the only guy that has bridged those two eras who has had enough of a career to justify a biography.

There weren't too many surprises in the book, but just clarification around what was obvious in cricketing circles both in the Vettori/Greatbatch/Wright era and also the Hesson/Taylor/McCullum one.

I do like the revisionist history now though that indicates BMac never did anything useful for NZ and simply inherited the team at a peak time; I think it's obvious to anyone except one eyed Taylor/Williamson/Vettori friends that McCullum alone imbued the team with a winning culture and changed the way we played the sport.

Sadly it seems we've regressed a bit in his absence.

Blocky

Banned
Henry is the perfect bowler for Steve Smith; a combination of the right length to be pulled easily and the inability to keep that line wider than 5th stump often enough. You couldn't actually think of a better style of bowling for him.

TheJediBrah

I can't help but wonder if the ratio of posting from each nation in this thread is indicative of the respective interest each country's fans have for this series

Blocky

Banned
The Bangladesh test series is more interesting to the NZ fans than this series is. I'd much rather this series be thrown in the bin to accomodate another proper tour.

Zinzan

I do like the revisionist history now though that indicates BMac never did anything useful for NZ and simply inherited the team at a peak time; I think it's obvious to anyone except one eyed Taylor/Williamson/Vettori friends that McCullum alone imbued the team with a winning culture and changed the way we played the sport.
True, although in fairness to CW, even his biggest critics of the regular NZ posters here wouldn't argue against that point.

Moss

Well Henry's bowling utter filth. But his role as a strike bowler is being compromised with this field.

Blocky

Banned
Australia score-sweep fellas? Open until the end of the 23rd

Zinzan 333
I'm going to say 348. We've got nothing in our trick bag and these guys are finding ways to score at five an over without really taxing themselves. We already know their finishing ability.

Blocky

Banned
True, although in fairness to CW, even his biggest critics of the regular NZ posters here wouldn't argue against that point.
What I find more surprising is that reasonably knowledgeable followers make blanket statements around how he batted for himself, and didn't do it frequently enough for the team, without taking a moment to remember he's the guy that batted every single position in the order and constantly took the problem position on when no one else could bat there.

As a pure batsman once he gave the gloves away, he ranks as one of our best ever and I think that's lost on people who remember him as the impetuous #7 who came out to try and dominate and often got out doing it.

Zinzan

I can't help but wonder if the ratio of posting from each nation in this thread is indicative of the respective interest each country's fans have for this series
True, you blokes outnumbered SA posters by miles, in spite of the fact they were giving you a hiding. Perhaps more African's will turn get that ratio up in the NZ Test series.

TheJediBrah

True, you blokes outnumbered SA posters by miles, in spite of the fact they were giving you a hiding. Perhaps more African's will turn get that ratio up in the NZ Test series.
That was more just because there are many more Aus posters here in general than South Africans, there was a far higher proportion of SA posters "per capita", so to speak. The pure quantity of South African posters and posts that came out of the woodwork during that series compared to general CW traffic was overwhelming.

Haha way too late, I said 23rd over. I'd be closer to 350 after the last 5-6 overs.
They won't get much over 300 imo

Blocky

Banned
Santner needs to bowl at the stumps more against Smith, no point throwing it wide if you're bowling spin at him.

Moss

Can maybe put it down to the extremely short turnaround from the Pakistan series, but I don't think I've seen a NZ side this listless in the field since a couple of Vettori-era games in the subcontinent. TBF Australia are just coming off a test series too.

Blocky

Banned
Can maybe put it down to the extremely short turnaround from the Pakistan series, but I don't think I've seen a NZ side this listless in the field since a couple of Vettori-era games in the subcontinent. TBF Australia are just coming off a test series too.
Agree; it's actually the reason why I suspect there isn't a great culture in the team at the moment, nor much alignment between Williamson and Hesson.