• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia vs New Zealand ODIs 2016/17

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
tbh I'm probably more excited for JAMODIs that I can actually watch now than I was when I was younger. Being older and busier plus having a missus who can't stand cricket means that any cricket I can sit down and watch for a concerted period of time is a rare treat.

Also I don't get the whole "JAMODI" thing at all really because didn't ODI meaninglessness and over-saturation peak like 15-20 years ago? If anything the amount of ODI cricket has declined, right? It seems contradictory to me that the somewhat snobby (I mean that in the nicest possible way) CW crowd have allowed (presumably) the existence of T20 to diminish their appreciation of ODIs for ODIs sake, cos ODIs are just better cricket, surely? I can't really think of any reason why I would be LESS interested in an ODI now than I was in 1998, if anything I'm more appreciative that it isn't T20 and feels more like real cricket, the stuff I grew up on.

Bilateral ODI series didn't need to have all of this "context" to mean something in the 90s so why can't we care about them now? IT'S STILL REAL TO ME DAMMIT.
This is not true. Every tri-series and ODI bilateral series felt like life and death in the late 90s and early 2000s, and teams always played their best teams. There was no resting, there was no rotation. Winning a tri-series in Australia was a huge deal.

Now best players are often rested in ODI bilateral series. See Ashwin vs. England and Smith and Warner vs. Australia as two very recent examples.

The fans didn't just overnight say "I do not care about random ODIs anymore". The whole cricket world did.

Spark

Global Moderator
I mean it's vanishingly rare you could point to team picked in an ODI and say "if this match happened to be a WC final, this is exactly the 11 that would be picked given the players available". Just happens so rarely these days—and it's not like you can blame the selectors that much, I was fully in favour of Starc and Hazlewood being given a rest for all these ODIs for example.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And if one side is resting players, the other side might as well too. So it's a negative feedback loop.

I think the break is more important for players' mental health than their physical health though.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I struggle to get past the fact that selectors don't take them very seriously anymore. This is obviously exaggerated the more cricket a side plays overall so I still love "JAMODIs" between Bangladesh and Zimbabwe for example, but it's hard for me to get past the fact that Australia in particular often have several players not playing due to resting or long-term planning, and random players being given international auditions all the time. If the selectors don't really seem to care who wins then I struggle to as well. I still watch the games because I love cricket and I appreciate the little narratives within them, but I struggle to really get invested in the contest when the selectors aren't treating the games seriously.
Yeah I couldn't tell you a thing about what happened in the 5 match SA v Aus series (except I know we lost) because the Aus bowling attack that series was genuinely weaker than half the Domestic attacks that were playing in the Matador Cup at the same time. They literally had guys playing for Australia that wouldn't even be in the best XI for their State.

Zinzan

Yeah I couldn't tell you a thing about what happened in the 5 match SA v Aus series (except I know we lost) because the Aus bowling attack that series was genuinely weaker than half the Domestic attacks that were playing in the Matador Cup at the same time. They literally had guys playing for Australia that wouldn't even be in the best XI for their State.
Good thing you can't say that about Starc, Hazel, Cummins, Zampa & Faulkner..arguably your best ODI attack. Even if Guptill, Warner & Smith weren't available.

I've felt NZ have been far too reliant on Guptill in ODIs for a few years now, so it was good to see NZ could still win without him. Nothing worse relying solely on 1-2 players, given injuries are part of ODI cricket. The depth of the wider squad is important. .

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah there was nothing wrong with our bowling attack over there. We're not as strong as we used to be but that's mainly due to our weaker batting. We're too reliant on Smith and Warner and are too collapse-prone in testing conditions.

We're still number one in the world and rightly so but the margin is shrinking.

TheJediBrah

Good thing you can't say that about Starc, Hazel, Cummins, Zampa & Faulkner..arguably your best ODI attack. Even if Guptill, Warner & Smith weren't available.

I've felt NZ have been far too reliant on Guptill in ODIs for a few years now, so it was good to see NZ could still win without him. Nothing worse relying solely on 1-2 players, given injuries are part of ODI cricket. The depth of the wider squad is important. .
ok?

Smith and Warner missing is just as bad as a whole 1st choice bowling attack being rested imo

point is we haven't been fielding anything near our best side in away series lately, which is not surprising given that home series' have a much bigger viewership and money-making potential

Zinzan

Yeah there was nothing wrong with our bowling attack over there. We're not as strong as we used to be but that's mainly due to our weaker batting.
Agree, it was about the best bowling attack Aust can get on the park these days. MMarsh is an erratic ODI bowler and batsman, I guess it runs in the Marsh family & I think you've found a much better ODI cricketer in Stoinis actually, this lad looks in a short period to provide more steel and backbone than Marsh.

NZ will be a lot better for it in getting McClenaghan & Milne back on the park. Some of our 4th and 5th bowling options were horrendous in that short series, and I doubt we'd get away with it against a side like South Africa. You need your best line up against them.

Zinzan

ok?

Smith and Warner missing is just as bad as a whole 1st choice bowling attack being rested imo

point is we haven't been fielding anything near our best side in away series lately, which is not surprising given that home series' have a much bigger viewership and money-making potential
Similar to New Zealand, hopefully at some stage injuries permitting we can get our top side on the park, I guess it's a challenge for most modern sides huh. sign of the times.

I suppose Australia at least had their very top bowling attack and were only missing 2 batters. Looking fwd to NZ getting their top bowling line-up together and fit at some stage, I don't think Milne and McClenaghan will be ready for SA though.

Daemon

Come on Zinzan, losing Smith and Warner in the sort of form they're in is quite clearly a lot worse than losing Guptill and a bunch of nobodies.

Zinzan

Come on Zinzan, losing Smith and Warner in the sort of form they're in is quite clearly a lot worse than losing Guptill and a bunch of nobodies.
I rate Milne highly in ODIs, but the **** keeps getting injured, so we're kind of used to it now.

Also, Guptill is basically NZ's ODI Warner.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Jesus have we not covered this topic enough?

Australia were missing Smith and Warner. NZ were without all of Anderson, Mitchell McClenaghan, Kieren Noema Barnett, Chris Harris, Va'aiga Tuigamala and Phar Lap.

Call it even.

TheJediBrah

Jesus have we not covered this topic enough?

Australia were missing Smith and Warner. NZ were without all of Anderson, Mitchell McClenaghan, Kieren Noema Barnett, Chris Harris, Va'aiga Tuigamala and Phar Lap.

Call it even.
Way to ruin it guys

I was trying to see how many times I could get him to repeat the same drivel in one thread. It was going well.

Zinzan

Way to ruin it guys

I was trying to see how many times I could get him to repeat the same drivel in one thread. It was going well.
You mean when I keep responding to your same old tired point about Aust missing 2 batsmen lol

You quit whining about that - (it happens in cricket) - and i'll stop responding in kind.

TheJediBrah

You mean when I keep responding to your same old tired point about Aust missing 2 batsmen lol

You quit whining about that - (it happens in cricket) - and i'll stop responding in kind.
There's your problem, it's not whining. It's a thoughtful discussion about cricket selection and the factors it's based on. You're the only one trying to turn it in to some nationalistic pissing contest. No one else cares.

Zinzan

There's your problem, it's not whining. It's a thoughtful discussion about cricket selection and the factors it's based on. You're the only one trying to turn it in to some nationalistic pissing contest. No one else cares.
Lol like a broken record, you've mentioned their 'weak' side about 50 times now in various forms across various thread. It's hilarious that you call that thoughtful discussion. I probably should behave & not respond, just you're so easy.

I'll behave now :p

TheJediBrah

Lol like a broken record, you've mentioned their 'weak' side about 50 times now in various forms across various thread. It's hilarious that you call that thoughtful discussion. I probably should behave & not respond, just you're so easy.

I'll behave now :p
You really do live in your own reality