• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia vs New Zealand ODIs 2016/17

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Didn't watch it.

Would have been keen for some televised tv cricket yesterday though - on a rainy public holiday with a sick child.

The series served its purpose, 2 good crowds = $s.

JAMODIs aren't my thing.

Way early in thread when talk about how NZ won at home last year - so ignore our away humping as a form guide, and I have zero memory of CH last year at all. Then remembered I boycotted it last year out of principle because 'low hanging fruit David White' cut out a test match to fit it in.

This year; no principle involved. Just day games when I'm busy.

Spark

Global Moderator
Reasons why Aussies didn't care as much about the underarm/wanker trophy:

1) It was not on FTA
2) Everyone was back at work
3) It was missing our top 2 bats
4) The first game was on ridiculously early
5) The second game was a disgrace
This sums it up really well. Warner and Smith being pulled is usually a good signal to the Aus public that this series isn't really worth paying attention to, given that the two of them together often comprise most of what passes for a batting lineup for us.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
I'm not poo-pooing day games either.

Vital part of getting kids to the games and ensuring the next generation of fans.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Another point to defend the slightly lesser interest from Kiwis fans this tour, is that to most NZ fans, South Africa is the far and away the marquee tour this year, & the one most are excited about.

We already beat Australia in the home ODI series last year & we were always going to beat them without Warner & Smith tbf, and I'm positive it would have been 3-0 if not for the diabolical ground issues in Napier. Even if we did almost throw two games away when we had it in the bag.

The prospect of playing SA through.... mouth watering.

thierry henry

International Coach
tbh I'm probably more excited for JAMODIs that I can actually watch now than I was when I was younger. Being older and busier plus having a missus who can't stand cricket means that any cricket I can sit down and watch for a concerted period of time is a rare treat.

Also I don't get the whole "JAMODI" thing at all really because didn't ODI meaninglessness and over-saturation peak like 15-20 years ago? If anything the amount of ODI cricket has declined, right? It seems contradictory to me that the somewhat snobby (I mean that in the nicest possible way) CW crowd have allowed (presumably) the existence of T20 to diminish their appreciation of ODIs for ODIs sake, cos ODIs are just better cricket, surely? I can't really think of any reason why I would be LESS interested in an ODI now than I was in 1998, if anything I'm more appreciative that it isn't T20 and feels more like real cricket, the stuff I grew up on.

Bilateral ODI series didn't need to have all of this "context" to mean something in the 90s so why can't we care about them now? IT'S STILL REAL TO ME DAMMIT.

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
A cross Tasman tri-series would begun. The only problem with the VB tri-Series in Aus going back a few is that the neutral games were always poorly attended. Having South Africa play in both NZ and Aus, whilst Aus visits us for a game and we visit them for a game, would be totally gun.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A cross Tasman tri-series would begun. The only problem with the VB tri-Series in Aus going back a few is that the neutral games were always poorly attended. Having South Africa play in both NZ and Aus, whilst Aus visits us for a game and we visit them for a game, would be totally gun.
That's actually a ridiculously good idea. Aus / NZ could always play each other and the third team could join in too. 3 home games vs the other Tasman team and 3 home games vs the third side. Finals series would be MCG + a NZ venue. All NZ games would be D/N games and all televised on FTA. 12 matches + 2-3 finals. It's not like NZ air fares are expensive either.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This is going to happen next year in a T20 tournament, but yeah, it's a missed opportunity in ODIs.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
tbh I'm probably more excited for JAMODIs that I can actually watch now than I was when I was younger. Being older and busier plus having a missus who can't stand cricket means that any cricket I can sit down and watch for a concerted period of time is a rare treat.

Also I don't get the whole "JAMODI" thing at all really because didn't ODI meaninglessness and over-saturation peak like 15-20 years ago? If anything the amount of ODI cricket has declined, right? It seems contradictory to me that the somewhat snobby (I mean that in the nicest possible way) CW crowd have allowed (presumably) the existence of T20 to diminish their appreciation of ODIs for ODIs sake, cos ODIs are just better cricket, surely? I can't really think of any reason why I would be LESS interested in an ODI now than I was in 1998, if anything I'm more appreciative that it isn't T20 and feels more like real cricket, the stuff I grew up on.

Bilateral ODI series didn't need to have all of this "context" to mean something in the 90s so why can't we care about them now? IT'S STILL REAL TO ME DAMMIT.
I struggle to get past the fact that selectors don't take them very seriously anymore. This is obviously exaggerated the more cricket a side plays overall so I still love "JAMODIs" between Bangladesh and Zimbabwe for example, but it's hard for me to get past the fact that Australia in particular often have several players not playing due to resting or long-term planning, and random players being given international auditions all the time. If the selectors don't really seem to care who wins then I struggle to as well. I still watch the games because I love cricket and I appreciate the little narratives within them, but I struggle to really get invested in the contest when the selectors aren't treating the games seriously.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
That's actually a ridiculously good idea. Aus / NZ could always play each other and the third team could join in too. 3 home games vs the other Tasman team and 3 home games vs the third side. Finals series would be MCG + a NZ venue. All NZ games would be D/N games and all televised on FTA. 12 matches + 2-3 finals. It's not like NZ air fares are expensive either.
Apart from the Ashes tour, Australia and NZ both generally host 2 teams per summer, with few overlaps (though I guess this year is an exception with us both hosting South Africa and pakistan). Theoretically you could have a quadrangular tournament - although then you'd have the problem of the two touring teams playing each other at neutral venues - though I've always thought that'd be the best times for 'lesser' grounds to get to host a game i.e. Manuka, Queenstown, Nelson and Hobart. The main problem is the Boxing Day and new Years tests are always locks for Australia, when we generally host L/O stuff at the time. ideally, both nations would host Tests over that period, with a L/O tournament in January/February, followed by more tests in NZ in Feb/march as is the custom. Australia generally starts their Test series earlier than we do, so it could potentially be staggered, but tricky.

Mike5181

International Captain
Not accusing you of crying at all, more that the relative lack of posts from our Kiwi contingent combined with a theme of posts during both the series in Australia and the series in NZ regarding Aussie care-factor, was in itself a form of "crying" imo. Almost like because the Aussies didn't care and weren't in here posting, that we had to feign an air of cool detachment from proceedings. I've seen more Kiwi enthusiasm/actual game analysis and interest in the result for T20s against Bangladesh. We shoulda been in here getting pumped up cos we were beating the dirty cheating bastard Australians, whether or not they cared about it. CMON BOIS FIRE UP etc

But anyway, I've already made too many posts about posting and am becoming part of the problem now.
This series was played on public holidays/the weekend, though. A lot of people were in a group setting around friends or family. Playing with your laptop or phone all day is a dick move. If it was on at, say, 9pm or something because it's being played overseas, that'd be different. Being alone in your room/lounge at night is always going to be more conducive to posting on an Internet forum.

I personally really enjoyed both ODIs anyway. I'm trying to repress that second one, but the series was better than the vast majority I've seen, regardless of what the Australians think. Stoinis is a stone cold boss.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
I'm not disappointed that Bangladesh couldn't win a match in New Zealand.
tui billboard right here
Straw man has a point, the NZ contingent is getting a little longer in the tooth these days, and most who were enthusiast bubbly young 20 something year olds a decade ago, are now somewhat less bubbly & more cynical 30 something year olds.
even albi has a job now. i think both me and athlai were in high school when we first joined cw.

Flem274*

123/5
I struggle to get past the fact that selectors don't take them very seriously anymore.
this

NZ sent about 16 allrounders and a leg spinner known for his FC exploits to the Australian leg of this series. they didn't care beyond finding out if any of them could bat against mitchell starc. australia responded in kind by sending heazlett and resting their batsmen

Days of Grace

International Captain
Posters like Blocky and CM Punk (where was he once we won the two games btw?) turned me off posting for a while. Just about made every NZ match thread poisonous.

Now that they are gone (well CM Flunk until we are 2/2 in the next match) I'll try to post a bit more.

Fenil

Cricket Web Staff Member
Huh?? Where do you get that from?? They just beat Pakistan 4-1 in their last series and beat the Kiwis 3 zip series before that.
My apologies for incomplete information. That was indeed the seventh consecutive ODI match loss for Australia away.