• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia tour of New Zealand Feb-Mar 2024

Flem274*

123/5
Specifically, losing 3rd innings wickets cheaply and then failing to defend is historically really common for us (although I acknowledge it's probably also just a meme that's stuck in my head and not as common as it seems). I brought it up in England in 2022 but most of my points of reference were 15-20 years old and I knew I was being ridiculous - and then it went and happened 3 tests in a row.

It would be ridiculous, really, to have an opposition 30/4 and fail to defend 280, but my expectations are nil.
Haha yeah I'm literally off to temper my hopes for today by looking at those scorecards.

Ah yes, England were 141 all out then 4/69, 539 (in response to 550) then 4/93 (chasing 300), 6/55 (scored 360) then 2/51 (cruised to 300 3 down).

All 12 months after our B team dealt with them.

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
Don't forget Hobart 2011. Not too many players leftover from that game, but still a nice memory. The only Test match we've beaten them on either side of the Tasman for 30+ years isn't it.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Don't forget Hobart 2011. Not too many players leftover from that game, but still a nice memory. The only Test match we've beaten them on either side of the Tasman for 30+ years isn't it.

That young bowling allrounder had a good day. It sure is a shame he's not better than the SP or he would have been handy...ohhh

thierry henry

International Coach
There's also sort of a parallel with Hobart in that, just like right now, we weren't really at a particularly high point nor did we have really good reasons to expect success.

While it looks different in hindsight cos of what Soult became, Hobart was also a really cobbled together bowling attack with debutant Boult, not-good-yet Southee, ancient Martin and of course never-quite-made-it Bracewell about to have the best moment of his career. They were 21, 22, 23 and 37 years old so we had no-one anywhere near their prime.

It would make about as much sense for us to finally beat Australia just after losing Wagner, Boult, KJ, and a useful version of Southee, and relying on debutant Sears, perennial back-up Henry and part-time spin.

So yeah all that to say I guess there's one precedent for us fluking a win which makes no real sense in context.

Hungry Llama

Cricket Spectator
Weather forcast says the suns shining. Its sick. Maybe they should look out
the window instead of using a cp prog.

But surely Oz have got a good chance still? NZ have only got 1 serious bowler,
and he cant bowl all the time.

Shady Slim

International Coach
There's also sort of a parallel with Hobart in that, just like right now, we weren't really at a particularly high point nor did we have really good reasons to expect success.

While it looks different in hindsight cos of what Soult became, Hobart was also a really cobbled together bowling attack with debutant Boult, not-good-yet Southee, ancient Martin and of course never-quite-made-it Bracewell about to have the best moment of his career. They were 21, 22, 23 and 37 years old so we had no-one anywhere near their prime.

It would make about as much sense for us to finally beat Australia just after losing Wagner, Boult, KJ, and a useful version of Southee, and relying on debutant Sears, perennial back-up Henry and part-time spin.

So yeah all that to say I guess there's one precedent for us fluking a win which makes no real sense in context.
i mean our bowling attack's at full strength but our batting is horrendously suspect - we lost a test to the windies but more pertinently if pak could catch we would probably have lost one or more tests to them too. mitch marsh is in good touch but head, carey, smith, marnus and even uzzie apparently are all in dreadful form at the moment. green finally had a belter innings up the order but before that he'd be a question mark as well (and honestly still should be); we're not an impregnable force and the only thing that would suggest we are is the lil bro mentality that puts the kiwu in this very position of doubt to begin with

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Haha yeah I'm literally off to temper my hopes for today by looking at those scorecards.

Ah yes, England were 141 all out then 4/69, 539 (in response to 550) then 4/93 (chasing 300), 6/55 (scored 360) then 2/51 (cruised to 300 3 down).

All 12 months after our B team dealt with them.
Worth remembering that the tests in that series were played with a batch of junk dukes that offered nothing after the first 15 overs. England chased down 370 v Bumrah and Co ffs.

Does anyone know if lunch is still scheduled for 1pm? Would suit NZ perfectly if so. Have Henry and Sears bowl for an hour. Go off and rest for 45 minutes and then have them come back for another 4 or 5 over burst after the break.