• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia tour of New Zealand Feb-Mar 2024

King Kane

International Debutant
We should win from here but I'm still not confident with Marsh and Head still there.

It would help if the pitch breaks up tomorrow, the Hagley Oval ground staff need to put on the rugby boots when they work on the pitch overnight.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Close of play came at a good time for NZ. Didn’t really like the tactics for Marsh and Head, and the pressure was properly off once Henry/Sears came to the end of their spells.

An opportunity to work on the plans for tomorrow (particularly how the support cast will need to bowl). The odds are it won’t get to a second new ball if this partnership builds on.

That said, two very good if not completely flawless days of test cricket for NZ vs Aus, so small gains I suppose.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Southee being reluctant to bowl himself doesn't bode well for his future. We might see his final day of cricket tomorrow. :(
Southee is where Chris Martin was circa 2012-13 when a proper bowling transition was brewing for NZ. I remember the younger bowlers then crediting Martin’s presence in and around the group even as he stopped becoming an automatic pick (dropped for the 2nd tests of each of the Windies, India and South Africa series that year). Very tricky business this, though you can argue Henry at 32 should be leading the pack full stop (without having to rely too much on guidance).

Last edited:

RMBolton

U19 12th Man
Was going to look this up. The two-match series in NZ thing is infuriating. Would have thought a WTC win might change this nonsense.
Apparently NZC is working on 3-Test series at home vs AUS, ENG & IND in the next FTP.

Southee is where Chris Martin was circa 2012-13 when a proper bowling transition was brewing for NZ. I remember the younger bowlers then crediting Martin’s presence in and around the group even as he stopped becoming an automatic pick (dropped for the 2nd tests of each of the Windies, India and South Africa series that year). Very tricky business this, though you can argue Henry at 32 should be leading the pack full stop (without having to rely too much on guidance).
I really do wonder, because it would make sense for him to go out here, but then again, the next 6 Tests are all in Asia, & without him the most experienced bowler in Asian conditions is Ajaz. Henry can definitely lead the attack, but the realistic options to open with him will be Duffy (who averaged about 50 vs India A a couple of years back) & Smith (who's an unknown in Asian conditions). I'd back Duffy/Smith vs England at the end of the year, but I'm a bit iffy on Asia.
In any case, I expect an A tour roughly midyear, hopefully to somewhere in Asia, or at this rate even SA will do.