• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Australia were the better side over the course of the first two Tests, but didn't do enough to deserve to win one. SA actually started off well in Brisbane with Amla and Kallis making hundreds and took 3-4 wickets early in the Aus innings.
I think that series more than any other really showed what a huge asset it is to have a god-tier allrounder like Kallis in the side.

The pitches were absolutely brutally unforgiving to the pace bowlers and without Kallis bowling a good number of overs at a pretty high quality, (he had stretches where he was their best bowler) I think SA's bowlers could've broken down completely by the time of the third test. Australia had no one like him and their entire bowling lineup was basically half-dead by the time they got to Perth.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
The loss of Morris/ Parnell could be big as a fifth bowling option, may allow Maharaj into the team at 7 resulting in QDK opening.... but I think that our front line seamer's will back themselves to bowl Aus out. Enough quality there to do it. Elgar and Duminy as back-up if desperately needed. Mitch Marsh batting at 6 with Neville/Wade at 7 gives a relatively long tail for Aus as well. Couple of early wickets from Steyn, Rabada or Philander and Aus under huge pressure.

Howe_zat

Audio File
sans De Villiers this is not a great SA batting lineup and it isn't close to the 2012 side.

the series just gone means very little, SA will find it damn hard going against Australia's actual attack.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
sans De Villiers this is not a great SA batting lineup and it isn't close to the 2012 side.

the series just gone means very little, SA will find it damn hard going against Australia's actual attack.
This batting side is nothing close to the 2012 side.... having said that all the youngsters (new players) have stood up when asked recently Cook, Bavuma and QDK. Stiaan was the only disappointment and he is gone. Faf and Duminy like playing against Aus and Amla is just class. Aus batting, aside from Warner, are also still finding their feet. I don`t rate Smith as highly as some.

As for the bowling except for Starc none of the other Aus bowlers worry me... I think that the Steyn/Philander/Rabada/Morkel is much better than what Aus can offer up right now.

Bahseph

State Captain
Is Keshav good enough to be batting at 7 in a Test team? 7 seems a little high for Philander at times.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
This batting side is nothing close to the 2012 side.... having said that all the youngsters (new players) have stood up when asked recently Cook, Bavuma and QDK. Stiaan was the only disappointment and he is gone. Faf and Duminy like playing against Aus and Amla is just class. Aus batting, aside from Warner, are also still finding their feet. I don`t rate Smith as highly as some.

As for the bowling except for Starc none of the other Aus bowlers worry me... I think that the Steyn/Philander/Rabada/Morkel is much better than what Aus can offer up right now.
I understand that but Smith is averaging 58 in test cricket. I don't enjoy watching him bat either but I think writing him off is a mistake. Also, the rest of the guys - Vogues, Burns, Khawaja, while not great batsmen by any means are perfectly capable of toning up on their home roads

morgieb

Siddle not fit? Hadn't heard.
Just came back today ftr. For a while we weren't sure.

An attack of Siddle, Hazlewood and Bird seems really samey to me, though in fairness Hastings is in the same mould as those guys too.

SeamUp

International Coach
Is Keshav good enough to be batting at 7 in a Test team? 7 seems a little high for Philander at times.
I would say 8/9 is his spot although his batting has improved remarkably- I would say he is quite an aggressive batsman. Philander definitely has the technique to bat 7 though but like you say - you probably questioning yourself is that 1 to high for him so for me Maharaj cannot bat 7.

Easy team selection for me.

Elgar (vc)
Cook
Amla
Faf (c)
Bavuma
Duminy
QDK
Philander (NO WACA)/Shamsi/Maharaj
Rabada
Steyn
Morkel (WACA)/Abbott/Shamsi/Maharaj

I just hope guys like Elgar/Cook + Rossouw/Miller keep contributing and making a mockery of this new selection criteria for when AB gets back.

I would consider not playing The Vern at the WACA. Under lights at Adelaide : Yes Please & English Over-head Hobart : Yes Please

Last edited:

morgieb

If the Adelaide deck is anything like last year Philander could clean up there.
Fair point.

Not related to this tour obviously but I'd be interested to see the deck Brisbane put up for their D/N Test. Could well be chaos.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I'll be amazed if the Adelaide track is anything like as potent this year.

Last year was a bit of an unknown quantity for the ground staff and I'm sure they'd admit that in hindesite they went too far with leaving grass on the wicket in order to prolong the life of the pink ball. They will not be wanting a 3 day test again so I'd expect to see a lot dryer wicket this time around.

Having said that though I guess we still don't really know if the pink ball will start hooping once the lights go on so I'm not saying it will be a typical Adelaide roady mcroad either.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Australia's first Test squad will be:

Smith c, Warner vc, Bird, Cummins*, Hazlewood, Khawaja, Lyon, MMarsh, SMarsh, Nevill, Siddle, Starc*, Voges.

*pending fitness. I mean everyone is pending fitness but particularly these 2. If Starc is available I doubt Cummins makes the final XI but if Starc is unavailable and Cummins fit, he will leapfrog Bird or Siddle (surely Bird, due to Sids experience, heart, test hattrick, twin 50s and ball of the matador) in the Test XI.