• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa + South Africa in Australia 2016/17

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
Warner was in outstanding form all series - got out to a couple of loose dismissals in the opening couple of matches when he looked set for doing what he did today.

Reckon in the 2012-2015 period Warner coasted as a ODI player a bit - did OK but considering his talent probably should've got more runs than he did. But 2016 has seen him step it up a to new level.

artvandalay

State Vice-Captain
The Australian Sehwag, intuitively you think he ought to do as well if not better in ODIs than tests with his playing style but that doesn't seem to be the case. Slater was similar too wasn't he?

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The Australian Sehwag, intuitively you think he ought to do as well if not better in ODIs than tests with his playing style but that doesn't seem to be the case. Slater was similar too wasn't he?
Kinda. But Slater was always crap at ODIs, at least Sehwag and Warner turned it around later on in their careers.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
AB retired in 1994 mate...
No they were going to pull him out of the commentary box... but he said he would have to Captain and Smith did not like that...

Seriously though, Warner is the classiest player in the Aus side at the moment. I know people rate Smith ... I however do not. Compared to yesteryear most of the Aus test batting line-up is underwhelming. SA batting is not any better, particularly with de Villers injured (not AB!). Amla is it for us.. the rest have looked good at times, but the batting unit is young and so who knows what will happen. It comes down to the bowling for me, without Starc, Aus bowling is underwhelming, whereas (assuming they all play) Steyn, Philander, Rabada and Morkel are all potential match winners. With Abbott as a pretty good back-up. I will not say SA are favourites, you can never be against Aus in Aus... but I do think that we have a better chance than the last 2 tours and we won those....

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
South Africa are surely favourites for the tests given they are in Perth, Hobart, Adelaide. Perth will probably last 5 days as it's usually a road but the other two tests could be over within 3 days.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
South Africa are surely favourites for the tests given they are in Perth, Hobart, Adelaide. Perth will probably last 5 days as it's usually a road but the other two tests could be over within 3 days.
No matter how down, I respect Aus cricket to much to think we are favourites... and SA are still a relatively inexperienced team on the batting side.

Shady Slim

International Coach
aus has the only spinner in world cricket so far proven on aus pitches tbh and that's generally the difference

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
No they were going to pull him out of the commentary box... but he said he would have to Captain and Smith did not like that...

Seriously though, Warner is the classiest player in the Aus side at the moment. I know people rate Smith ... I however do not. Compared to yesteryear most of the Aus test batting line-up is underwhelming. SA batting is not any better, particularly with de Villers injured (not AB!). Amla is it for us.. the rest have looked good at times, but the batting unit is young and so who knows what will happen. It comes down to the bowling for me, without Starc, Aus bowling is underwhelming, whereas (assuming they all play) Steyn, Philander, Rabada and Morkel are all potential match winners. With Abbott as a pretty good back-up. I will not say SA are favourites, you can never be against Aus in Aus... but I do think that we have a better chance than the last 2 tours and we won those....
Wait is Starc ruled out of the SA tests? Can he play the SA tests, get injured and then get ruled out of the rest of the summer please?

Shady Slim

International Coach
I can't believe I'm saying this but it's an idea for ODIs. Only one series, though.
yeah you would expirement with it in a JAMODI series definitely for mine, never thought that i'd be saying it either

btw daemon of late studying at the gnske school of getting likes me from me, fast becoming a favourite of mine

Last edited:

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Wait is Starc ruled out of the SA tests? Can he play the SA tests, get injured and then get ruled out of the rest of the summer please?
He should be alright... but their is a question mark, he decided to gash his leg open while taking his sabbatical to not come to SA and got 30 stitches in the process....

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
aus has the only spinner in world cricket so far proven on aus pitches tbh and that's generally the difference
I think Shamsi will go all right if picked... however I see us playing a 4 man pace attack at least at 2 of the venues.

Has not been mentioned but Faf been a great captain during this period... better than de Villers.... pity he is not assured his place in the side in the long term

Marius

International Debutant
I think Shamsi will go all right if picked... however I see us playing a 4 man pace attack at least at 2 of the venues.

Has not been mentioned but Faf been a great captain during this period... better than de Villers.... pity he is not assured his place in the side in the long term
Lots of people have always said Faf is a better option that AB for skipper. He should probably have gotten the gig to be captain across all formats. If there weren't other issues weighing on selection I'd be very happy for Faf to be captain for all three sides.