• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa 2013/14

Marius

International Debutant
I reckon SA's top six is better than Australia's, the pace attacks are even, and Nathan Lyon is better than Tahir or Peterson.

This is going to be an absolute cracker of a series.

Energetic

U19 Cricketer
South Africa will be mentally refreshed for that series coming up. Australians will just feel fatigued I'm afraid with the amount of Cricket they have right now.

Blocky

Banned
South Africa will be mentally refreshed for that series coming up. Australians will just feel fatigued I'm afraid with the amount of Cricket they have right now.
Australia hasn't had to work hard for anything in this series, they'll all believe Cricket is a very easy game and that they're back to where they were when they had six all time greats playing for them. As soon as South Africa make it hard, they'll wilt.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Heard Steyn and AB are recovering from injuries? Should be okay for test series but preparation isn't ideal.

howardj

International Coach
Hope they don't pitchfork D00lan into number 3

Let him come in at five or six

He'll get burned like Hughes, Usman, Quiney etc

Watson is fine where he is

howardj

International Coach
I reckon SA's top six is better than Australia's, the pace attacks are even, and Nathan Lyon is better than Tahir or Peterson.

This is going to be an absolute cracker of a series.
It will indeed.

I think SA have the edge though - their pace attack is superior, as is their batting.

subshakerz

International Coach
Traditionally, SA have not played to their best against Australia in their own country though they do better in Australia. Having said that, I think this SA team seems a bit more hungry for success than past teams.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I still think SA has the edge - they're experienced and have been consistently good for ages, but it's the best time for Australia to play them in a while. The balance of their side must be effected by Kallis going, to the point it will either effect their batting if they play an extra bowler, or increase the work load of the quicks if they play a batsman.

Then again, they may have pick an all rounder who helps with both. Not like their remaining players are spuds.

The SA mindset may lend itself to playing a batsman. They'd back themselves to roll us with the quicks they have, and if they fear any part of Australia's game it would have to be the bowling.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm an unabashed Graeme Smith fan, love the bloke. Ugly as sin to watch bat but is such a smart batsman that he has trolled every single bowling attack in work cricket into bowling into his zones.

Having said that, I think we will see something significant in this series. If Australia continue on their trend of being very diligent with their bowling plans and some how have prolonged success against Smith in a similar way throughout the series this may be the final test series the skipper plays.

Big call but I can see it being possible.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Traditionally, SA have not played to their best against Australia in their own country though they do better in Australia. Having said that, I think this SA team seems a bit more hungry for success than past teams.
You did watch the first test against India right...

howardj

International Coach
He fulfils that much needed "quick fire 35 then out due to poor footwork" position that Australia crave.
345 runs for the series, with 1 century and two half centuries, on the back of his century at The Oval

defintely perferable to popping Phil Hughes, Usman or Quiney back in there...or a Test debutant against the best pace attack in the world

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Hope they don't pitchfork D00lan into number 3

Let him come in at five or six

He'll get burned like Hughes, Usman, Quiney etc

Watson is fine where he is
Not a big fan of Watson but sliding in the new guy at 6 causes the least disruption and puts them under the least pressure. With Bailey getting 5 games at 6 they should be giving the new guy a similar chance.

alvarez

First Class Debutant
The only change I can see to the Australian squad is Doolan in for Bailey. I also expect Doolan to bat at 3 and Watson moved down the order to 6. I have no problem with Doolan at 3 as it's his preferred postion in first class, and let's not forget the guy did score 161 not out against South Africa in a tour match not so long ago (although he did bat at 6 on this occasion)

I'd probably take a back up keeper, and a bit of a long shot, but I'd take Chris Hartley. I quite simply don't rate any other keepers in Australia. Paine does nothing at FC level to justify selection. Whiteman is starting to look good. Wade should just focus on playing as a batsman. Nevill's game has dropped off in the last two seasons also.

I'd probably have Faulkner and Bird as back up bowlers. Not sure on a 2nd spinner though.

Last edited: