• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa 2013/14

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
If that happens, fair play to South Africa. They are a better team than England. We all know that.

Generally though, if any team bats 150 overs first up they're going to be in a good position. South Africa are more likely to do it than England, yes. But what exactly do you propose Australia do about that? Not pick their best bowlers?

Blocky

Banned
@MorgieB

Pattinson - I'd agree with that, although he's just coming back from an injury. Cummin's is no where near selection and I don't see the fuss with Coulter-Nile to be honest.

@Hendrix

South Africa have a great track record in recent years against all comers of being able to bat lots and lots of overs, the only time they haven't is when Steyn or Philander blow the oopposition out.

Harris should definitely be selected, but the chances of him getting through three tests strongly align to whether or not South Africa make it a grind when batting. All form would indicate they'll do exactly that.

sphynx

U19 Debutant
Predicting risk is exactly what most cricket sides need to do with their players, it's exactly why the rotation system exists and exactly why workload management exists. I can almost guarantee if South Africa bat 150 overs in their first innings of this series, Harris will be either injured or rested during the second test.

As for Lyon, so his hope is that his seamers tear the opposition apart and he comes on to mop up the tail? So what happens when the pace bowlers don't do it and he's expected to bowl 30-40 overs in a day against top order players? That's what we'll see in South Africa.
This is Australia's golden generation of quicks

Bird and Pattinson are back.

The likes of Coulter-Nile, Faulkner, Hazlewood and Bollinger (a guy that averages mid 20's in tests).

Pat Cummins is playing his first game back on friday, and Starc is still injured.

Australia have quality quicks coming out of their ears.

They can cover Harris, only 6 months ago Pattinson was viewed as Aus's #1 bowler heading into the English summer, one of the best young quicks in the world might not get a game in SAF.

sphynx

U19 Debutant
Oh, and I think this has all been proclaimed before.

Prior to the English Ashes, every man and there dog was saying Harris would only play 1 or 2 games of each series.

He was probably the best bowler on average across the two series and played nearly every game.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
are Bird and Pattinson in the squad? Either of them would do nicely and would certainly cushion the blow of losing Harris.

Coulter-Nile, Faulkner, Hazlewood and Bollinger coming in would make it a bigger loss IMO.

But really, isn't it a 2 test series or something? Again, if SA can bat 150 overs against this attack (which they might well be able to do, they're a very good team) then fair play to them. They're the better team.

Blocky

Banned
Bollinger...? Cmon. Let's be serious here.

Australia have seven superb quicks in the country, one of them in Nannes only plays T20 Cricket.

Cummins, Starc and Pattinson are all unlikely to be selected in the South African squad simply due to injury layoff. Pattinson and Cummin won't have enough time to get match fit for test cricket, although Pattinson seems like he's still bowling great heat.

Which leaves Harris, Johnson, Siddle and Watson (superb on his day, while fit)

Coulter-Nile didn't look that great against India in the ODI series, granted different match conditions, Faulkner and Hazlewood are unproven, not a great idea to put them in against an inform South African team in South African conditions, although I guess it didn't hurt Cummins much.

sphynx

U19 Debutant
Bollinger...? Cmon. Let's be serious here.

Australia have seven superb quicks in the country, one of them in Nannes only plays T20 Cricket.

Cummins, Starc and Pattinson are all unlikely to be selected in the South African squad simply due to injury layoff. Pattinson and Cummin won't have enough time to get match fit for test cricket, although Pattinson seems like he's still bowling great heat.

Which leaves Harris, Johnson, Siddle and Watson (superb on his day, while fit)

Coulter-Nile didn't look that great against India in the ODI series, granted different match conditions, Faulkner and Hazlewood are unproven, not a great idea to put them in against an inform South African team in South African conditions, although I guess it didn't hurt Cummins much.
You have Nannes as a supurb quick, and not Bird who's a proven test quality bowler?

Pattinson has 4 weeks of ODI's, of which he's been selected for, to get some overs in.

He will be going to SAF.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
You need to look at Dale Steyn's twitter account to see the kinda stuff these guys put up with. Bit of knee fluid? She'll be right.

If not, play Pattinson. All good.

Blocky

Banned
@Sphynx

Nannes is tongue in cheek, the guy is an amazing bowler in T20 and probably would've been amazing in other forms if he played them.

Bird isn't really proven, he had a couple good matches against Sri Lanka, granted. He's one that can do a job for Australia, sure - but he's not really in the league of a Harris.

Blocky

Banned
You need to look at Dale Steyn's twitter account to see the kinda stuff these guys put up with. Bit of knee fluid? She'll be right.

If not, play Pattinson. All good.
Having played 10 years representitive cricket and 20 years total as a pace bowler, I know full well what bowlers put up with and how much pain you can play through, but nine tests on the trot with a bunch of ailments that are progressively getting worse and a history of injury? He's a walking risk every time he goes out there for Aussie.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Having played 10 years representitive cricket and 20 years total as a pace bowler, I know full well what bowlers put up with and how much pain you can play through, but nine tests on the trot with a bunch of ailments that are progressively getting worse and a history of injury? He's a walking risk every time he goes out there for Aussie.
Every quick bowler is. Any of them could break down in the first over they bowl in a test.

Harris is well worth the gamble. He plays as long as his knee holds up.

Blocky

Banned
Every quick bowler is. Any of them could break down in the first over they bowl in a test.

Harris is well worth the gamble. He plays as long as his knee holds up.
Absolutely not denying this, there is no chance I'd leave Harris out - hell you even see me compare him against McGrath favorably. However go back to the post in which I indicated the events I'm expecting to happen, I fully expect Harris to play and do well in Test 1. I don't expect him to be there in all three tests. He will either be rested or injured by Test 2. That's my prediction.

brockley

International Captain
Wonder what the side will look like in the warm up,5/6 players for the T20 side,will have to have some fly ins,Prime Minsters xl will have extra light on it on performances.

Spark

Global Moderator
But how many of those runs came at #4 without a consistent pair of opening batsmen, a world class #3, #4 and #6 being in the team beside him?
The majority of those runs came in 3/30 - 3/50 type situations tbh,

Spark

Global Moderator
Smith is a bit odd - when he's actually scored runs in both Ashes series he's actually looked very astute against the moving ball. Really makes sure he covers off stump and leaves well.

Then, other times, he decides to flay his bat at one a foot wide of off.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Looking forward to see how Duminy does as first choice spinner

We've just sent Swann into retirement so god knows how we'll treat a guy that makes Clarke look like Bishen Bedi

sreeku7

School Boy/Girl Captain
@Sphynx

Bird isn't really proven, he had a couple good matches against Sri Lanka, granted. He's one that can do a job for Australia, sure - but he's not really in the league of a Harris.
from what we saw of him in England he is just medium fast and looked like the weakest link of the Australian attack in the 4th Test

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
But really, isn't it a 2 test series or something? Again, if SA can bat 150 overs against this attack (which they might well be able to do, they're a very good team) then fair play to them. They're the better team.
3 test series.