• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa 2013/14

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Great looking scoreboard to wake up to this morning. Would love Harris to clean up this innings.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
It amazes me that despite the fact that Faf, AB and Kallis deadbatted their way to a draw in Adelaide, commentators continue to state that these players need to play shots. And it's Saffer commentators too. And they say it despite mentioning the Adelaide draw.

Crazy.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It amazes me that despite the fact that Faf, AB and Kallis deadbatted their way to a draw in Adelaide, commentators continue to state that these players need to play shots. And it's Saffer commentators too. And they say it despite mentioning the Adelaide draw.

Crazy.
I know, they don't just mention they talk about it every other ball but still seem to think that it should not have worked.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Its just such a cricket myth that is perpetuated constantly to the point where its just accepted as fact. You have to score runs and put the bowlers off their length or upset them etc. Otherwise you are not playing your natural game and will go out. :dry:

Apparently just tiring the mofos is doesn't work. Oh wait, Faf, BJ Watling etc.

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't think it's perpetuated just so they can nod heads though, they have a pretty logical cricketing reason behind it.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Of course there is logic to it, it'd be beyond ridiculous if the whole cricketing world believed something that was not only overestimated in its importance, but flat out illogical.

But a lot of myths or overestimated factors in sport are logical but ultimately wrong or misleading. Hell, half of Moneyball was theories that made sense to people who had been in baseball for years and years. But there were results which showed the contrary to what they believed.

It is absolute parody though where people are talking about the same players that did it. I mean people are talking about AB not being able to change the way he plays when he bloody well did it only a year and a bit ago against the same opposition in the exact same circumstance..

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator

Crazy.
Funniest thing was the NZ commentators saying it during India's fourth innings a few weeks ago. Old cliches die hard.

Absolutely love it when players like Bell and de Villiers block the utter **** out of it. Crushes the stereotype so much.

Last edited:

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Having now seen the highlights it looks like Boof wasn't happy with Dools approach. Guys playing for his spot and the team wanted quick runs. Tough situation.

And that reverse from Rogers. :)

Watson33

U19 12th Man
Only managed to see drips-and-drabs of todays play, but Mitchell Johnson's ball that got Elgar was an absolute nut!