• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in Pakistan 2022

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Honestly only look at cricinfo these days for player stats. Never for any coverage of matches in progress. They’re ****ing awful

ashley bach

International Captain
Holy smoke, just seen scorecard for first time today.
How's the pitch been playing, it's still the same one right?
Can only imagine a combination of Australia have been superb, and Pakistan very poor?

Burgey

Such a nothing short from Warner there.

surprised Marnus didn’t ask for a nightwatchman

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haha I think most people just end up disappointed because it creates a really boring and pointless part of the game for a while. It might be tactically slightly more likely to produce a favourable result, but we basically don't need to watch the game for two sessions now. It's understandably annoying for those watching it.
Eh, I'd say Pakistan choosing to go full silly defensive just 50 overs into the match probably had a bigger impact on the spectacle.

morgieb

It might be tactically slightly more likely to produce a favourable result
I'm not even sure this would've been the case. To save the Test Pakistan would've had to bat 200 overs if they followed on. Now it's more like 160. True you should bowl out a side in 160+ overs, but it's not quite as easy. And you aren't losing from a 400 run lead. Even I'm not gonna claim that lmao

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm not even sure this would've been the case. To save the Test Pakistan would've had to bat 200 overs if they followed on.
I mean probably not because if they batted that long they'd probably score at >2rpo unless they went full Faf/ABdV immediately, which they probably wouldn't on Day 3. At some point they'd either get bowled out or take a lead. Australia obviously aren't going to lose but it's probably easier to make the quick runs that might theoretically be needed in a 1/1000 shot that Pakistan make 400+ now than on Day 5.

srbhkshk

International Captain
I mean probably not because if they batted that long they'd probably score at >2rpo unless they went full Faf/ABdV immediately, which they probably wouldn't on Day 3. At some point they'd either get bowled out or take a lead. Australia obviously aren't going to lose but it's probably easier to make the quick runs that might theoretically be needed in a 1/1000 shot that Pakistan make 400+ now than on Day 5.
True, also while 50 overs is not a lot, 50 + 120 overs (which is very much possible on this pitch still) on the trot is a very heavy workload for no reason.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Is it overly simplistic to expect professional cricketers to not worry about external matters which they can't control (i.e the pitch)? I see no benefit of altering your gameplan (i.e bowl two feet outside leg stump for prolonged periods) to try and neutralise the opposition's strengths

Yes, undoubtedly the pitch is very docile. But imo there is absolutely no excuse for a professional cricket team to theoretically wave the white flag so early into a test match

Suck it up Pakistan

paranoidandroid

Cricket Spectator
Yeah just trying to think it through. If Pakistan were made to follow on, they'd need to either (A) survive 200 odd overs or (B) score 409 to make Australia bat again. (B) is probably going to happen first unless Pakistan bat extremely slowly (i.e. they'll reach 409 before 200 overs batted). Ergo, Australia would have to bat twice, and so it makes sense to do that batting now so that you (i) grind Pakistan into the dust a bit more, (b) give your bowlers a rest and (c) bat during better conditions and bowl your overs once the pitch has deteriorated more.

There's now 180 overs left in the match and Australia are 489 ahead. To win from here, Pakistan need to score at 2.7ish (still doable). So I reckon Australia has a swing for 15 overs tomorrow morning, leaving Pakistan 165 overs to chase 550ish. That's 3.3 an over which is too much on a day 4/5 wicket.