• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in New Zealand

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
I guessed as much. Can't see him being regarded as genuine all-rounder or bettering Fred's numbers with the bat. Put me down in the 'he'll average < 25 with the occasional slogging ton' camp.
Really? I think he looks allot more convincing at the crease then what Flintoff does/ever did. The way he treated Dale Steyn's bowling is something not to be easily overlooked and he completely punked out the great Jacques Kallis the last time we played South Africa. If anything is stopping him it is the fact that he'll probably never bat higher then 8, not because he isn't good enough but because of the strength of our batting.

pasag

RTDAS
Johnson is the best batsmen in the world. But, I have grave doubts about whether he can score runs if he has the responsibility to. Hopefully after the World Cup we can put him up the order in a few meaningless ODIs to find out.

oh, and BOLLY!!!

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Really? I think he looks allot more convincing at the crease then what Flintoff does/ever did. The way he treated Dale Steyn's bowling is something not to be easily overlooked and he completely punked out the great Jacques Kallis the last time we played South Africa. If anything is stopping him it is the fact that he'll probably never bat higher then 8, not because he isn't good enough but because of the strength of our batting.
Completely DWTA. Flintoff the far all-conditions better bat for mine.

99*

International Debutant
Hmmm..so for all our gnashing of teeth over our batting and bowling, who would we have in the side if everyone were fit?
Ryder in for Ingram makes the side look so much better. Maybe Mills/Franklin for someobdy.

Flem274*

123/5
Ryder in for Ingram makes the side look so much better. Maybe Mills/Franklin for someobdy.
Ryder at number three?

Hmm, maybe. I like him at five. No moving ball (well, unless the top order do their thing) just lots of bullying for him to do.

I wouldn't mind something like:

Watling
T Mac
Pinga (deserves a fair go, McIntosh got one and is starting to look a lot better)
Taylor
Ryder
Williamson/Broom/Stewart
Vettori
McCullum

Will never, ever happen though because McCullums ego and overhypedness will never see him bat at eight again.

I don't want to see Franklin back in his current incarnation. Nor Fulton.

Vincent in a while (get some FC games under his belt) might be worth a spot, maybe at number six.

Howsie

International Captain
Hmmm..so for all our gnashing of teeth over our batting and bowling, who would we have in the side if everyone were fit? I still think a lot of these guys, barring injured players, are the best we have.

Williamson would make this side if we picked on merit only, which is heartening. Is 18 FC matches enough?

I think this winter is very important for the A side. We need to get the right guys in there and rather than looking for "individual success" as Turner put it, I personally think getting them winning (and they win a lot of games tbf) is just as important.

Another question: should we do what Australia did in the late 80s/early 90s and pick young quality that was succeeding domestically and stick with them through thick and thin (Steve Waugh for example).?

Re: Athlai: Woodcock, given enough of a chance, probably could do a job down at number six. We have better number six candidates though. :p
New Zealand cricket cancelled this years A tour FTR, unless we were suppose to go on two?

Regarding Williamson, yeah I reckon 18 matches is enough because he's the best batsmen in domestic cricket, everyone in the know is saying it so why not pick him.

99*

International Debutant
Ryder at number three?
It's the best option we have atm, apart from Taylor at 3 (which I'm beginning to like, more and more).

I'd run somthing like this:

Watling
McIntosh
Ryder
Taylor
Guptill
Broom
McCullum
Vettori

Pray Watling and McIn play like they did today, every test. And we're set.

Riggins

International Captain
Bollinger to McIntosh, FOUR, short and straight and pulled strongly in the air in front of square to the fence

He's...he's even playing the pull shot strongly now? WAG. I'm getting a bit emotional here.
I think he generally bangs the short ball. understandably puts the shot away early so doesn't play it compulsively but still

cbuts

International Debutant
Haven't won a match I've been to in Wellington.
Basin - Eng, Ind
Cake Tin - Ind (ODI) Australia (T20)

Crap there goes any hope.[/QUOUTE]

hmmm it was a no result against India at the cake tin. NZ won 7 or 8 straight ODI's in Wellington now

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Your luck sounds a bit like mine - they haven't won an ODI I've been to at Eden Park since they beat Zimbabwe in early 1998.

At least Hamilton has given me some wins.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Misty and drizzly as all hell in Petone today. Let's hope it lingers around the Basin - I'd happily take a dishonourable draw. :cool:

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
I'm a 15 minute walk from the Basin, and it's drizzling here too. Looks like one of those ****house all day days in Wellington, I doubt there will be any play today.