• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in New Zealand

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Bracewell has believed that the way to beat Australia is to battle out of the first 15 overs and then graft out a good score with wickets in hand. I disagree. I think you've got to go at the bowlers straight away otherwise they'll just get on top of you and from there it's all downhill.

I don't really mind if we lose 3-0 as long as we're actually showing a willingness to have a go. We simply won't win by trying to slow the game down.

Natman20

International Debutant
We will have to see how our line-up goes without Flemming.

To be honest I don't care if the Aussies rip in to our bowling attack. It will make great entertainment thats why i am goin 2 the match on Saturday :D

Darrin

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Tim said:
Bracewell has believed that the way to beat Australia is to battle out of the first 15 overs and then graft out a good score with wickets in hand. I disagree. I think you've got to go at the bowlers straight away otherwise they'll just get on top of you and from there it's all downhill.

I don't really mind if we lose 3-0 as long as we're actually showing a willingness to have a go. We simply won't win by trying to slow the game down.
I agree Tim. We must go at them early on. Sholudn't that be the first 20 overs rather than 15? But thats another issue.

AndrewM

U19 12th Man
Linda said:
I, for one, will certainly be more than a little surprised if Haydos walks out onto Eden Park on Saturday.. :laughing:
Well thats a blunder. Fancy that, i just did it without actually thinking otherwise..

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I agree with Tim....there is only won way to play Australia and thats to come at them from ball 1. Even though it was test cricket, we saw England attack from the 2nd test on in the ashes and Australia were put off their normal game plan. If Bracewell thinks the patience-game will work against Aussie then he hasn't learn't much in his time of coaching.

ClownSymonds

U19 Vice-Captain
I hope this series will be at least a decent one. New Zealand are down in the dumps again after being walloped by South Africa, and Australia are back at their best. I fear it will be terribly onesided, but we'll see.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
ClownSymonds said:
I hope this series will be at least a decent one. New Zealand are down in the dumps again after being walloped by South Africa, and Australia are back at their best. I fear it will be terribly onesided, but we'll see.
In other words back to bashing weak attacks and being declared "greats"

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
nah, back to having the bowlers and Hayden in form ;) throw Hussey in to that and Australia are bound to be good :)

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
My Australian team for the 1st game:

Gilchrist
Katich
Ponting
Hodge
Symonds
Clarke
Hussey
White
Lee
Bracken
Lewis

Hogg - super-sub

for the life of me i hope Clark does not play. :dry:

cameeel

International Captain
I agree, but replace Bracken with Clark, I went to the 2nd ODI v WXI and Bracken was shocking

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
marc71178 said:
In other words back to bashing weak attacks and being declared "greats"
Or maybe, as the Eng - Pak series is suggesting, Eng are nowhere near as good as theyre made out to be and Aus simply had a poor series and were too slow to make the necessary changes.

Ming

State 12th Man
Darrin said:
I don't know about mccullum opening because i can't see him producing anything other than a quick 30-odd.

Anyone of your top-3 MUST have the ability to score a 100. Here-in lies the problem we don't really have another astle. We are really going to miss fleming and his opening with astle. Other players will have to pick up the slack a bit.
McCullum has shown he can play long innings if given the opportunity instead of coming in with 10 overs to go. In Tests he has shown the technqiue and application to craft out a big score, and it's time he opened again in ODIs because his talents are being wasted down the order.

We need to take advantage of the relatively inexperienced Australian opening bowlers. Lee is still erratic, and without McGrath at the other end, he will gift 4-ball opportunities.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
social said:
Or maybe, as the Eng - Pak series is suggesting, Eng are nowhere near as good as theyre made out to be and Aus simply had a poor series and were too slow to make the necessary changes.
England sans Jones are different, that's for sure (see the Oval for evidence of that)

However to see certain players who had weaknesses mentioned on here pre-series and then those weaknesses to be exposed does say something...

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
So how come it came unstuck in such circumstances as facing a good attack then?
simple because they dont face good attacks often enough, if more international sides had good attacks i would back australia to still be dominant, but thats a whole different argument.