• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in New Zealand

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Tim said:
Yeah but can you honestly tell me you like seeing your team lose any series?
Honestly, it doesn't bother me all that much. I'd rather Australia won than lost, and I'll watch the games to have a look at Bond, Lewis etc, but it's not going to be a huge deal for me either way.

howardj

International Coach
Where's Phil Jacques? I really thought, as they did with guys like Clarke and the re-birth of Martyn etc, that they would try to get him playing some ODI games before he ascends to the Test team. In my view, with Martyn out, it was a good opportunity to do just that.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
howardj said:
Where's Phil Jacques? I really thought, as they did with guys like Clarke and the re-birth of Martyn etc, that they would try to get him playing some ODI games before he ascends to the Test team. In my view, with Martyn out, it was a good opportunity to do just that.
I agree. I cannot see the advantage of putting Hodge into the team in Martyn's place. Especially since Jaques has been brilliant of late in ODD.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Linda said:
I agree. I cannot see the advantage of putting Hodge into the team in Martyn's place. Especially since Jaques has been brilliant of late in ODD.
Its was always going to happen after Hodge scored that fifty in the Test. I guess Jaques has to wait a bit longer, good for NSW, as losing him would mean we would be without our three best batsmen and three seamers to go with that. I hope McGarth can play for NSW, as fast bowling stocks will be down to our bare bones with all four out.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
If Katich suffers a lean trot in ODIs any time in the near future, I'd expect Jaques to be drafted in for him. He's certainly the number one uncapped batting prospect in Australia right now, and it's only a matter of time.

Natman20

International Debutant
Damn I was looking forward to watching Mcgrath live for the first time.

Michael Lewis

Seems a reasonable player but I doubt if he would get a run in the series unless Australia win the first two matches

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
This explains Fleming's absence. A press release from NZ Cricket.

Stephen Fleming will not be available for the first two matches of the Chappell-Hadlee Trophy series, BLACKCAPS general manager Lindsay Crocker confirmed today.
“Stephen last week had a potentially cancerous tumour removed from his jaw-line in front of his left ear, and yesterday received the very good news that the tumour was benign.
“The size of the tumour caused nerve damage which was repaired with further surgery on Wednesday.
“Stephen will aim to play for Wellington in a State Championship match against Canterbury beginning in Christchurch on December 5 and will be considered for the final ODI against Australia on December 10.
“We are very pleased for Stephen who must have had a stressful time over the past week. When he was selected we did not know whether he would be available for the first match or whether he would be out for a longer period, but now hope that he will be fit to play on December 5.
“Daniel Vettori will captain the BLACKCAPS which will present him with a valuable opportunity to captain the team at home against the world champions.
“Nathan Astle will step in as the vice captain. With Stephen being ruled out of the first two matches, the squad is now 13 and no-one will be added to or released from the squad for the first match.”

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
chaminda_00 said:
Its was always going to happen after Hodge scored that fifty in the Test. I guess Jaques has to wait a bit longer, good for NSW, as losing him would mean we would be without our three best batsmen and three seamers to go with that. I hope McGarth can play for NSW, as fast bowling stocks will be down to our bare bones with all four out.
If he is being 'rested' for the series I doubt he will be allowed to play for N.S.W.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah good to hear he's come through that alright, look forward to having him back.

Bit offended really that they didn't bother selecting McGrath to play against us, does mean though that if we play to our best (a big if judging from the SA series) we actually have a chance of winning. We struggle against Brett Lee though.

I really love having a yearly series, but I can understand why Australians don't.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well they do have an important series against South Africa coming up.

I mean until we can become competitive, this series won't have much meaning. Just like for the first 70 years of the Bledisloe Cup, NZ were always winning it.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Hey, what?

Just goes to show how pointless this yearly ODI series is, when Australia don't even bother taking their best bowler.
yea that was expected, he has a lot to do for the remainder of the summer. I would have rested Gilchrist also...

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Tim said:
Australian squad
Ricky Ponting (capt), Adam Gilchrist (vice-capt, wk), Nathan Bracken, Stuart Clark, Michael Clarke, Brad Hodge, Brad Hogg, Mike Hussey, Simon Katich, Michael Lewis, Brett Lee, Andrew Symonds, Cameron White.

No McGrath. That'll certainly give NZ some hope for sure.
gosh why is Clark in the team :dry: , god i hope he gets clattered in NZ & he never plays again...

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't really have a problem with it. It's just like what the All Blacks are doing at the moment in the UK. If you can afford to rest good players and bring in guys who can do the job well, then thats ok.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
If Katich suffers a lean trot in ODIs any time in the near future, I'd expect Jaques to be drafted in for him. He's certainly the number one uncapped batting prospect in Australia right now, and it's only a matter of time.
yep thats true, he looks a great prospect for ODI's already..

Zinzan

FaaipDeOiad said:
Honestly, it doesn't bother me all that much. I'd rather Australia won than lost, and I'll watch the games to have a look at Bond, Lewis etc, but it's not going to be a huge deal for me either way.
Yeah...I suppose your enjoying this ultra competitive series against the west indies though.

Just for the record ...its not a big deal to us kiwi's either.

_Ed_

Last year's series had 2 great matches, especially Telstra Dome, amazing game. Hoping for more of the same this time.

Blaze

Banned
_Ed_ said:
Last year's series had 2 great matches, especially Telstra Dome, amazing game. Hoping for more of the same this time.

Yeah, I always look forward to us playing AUS. But mainly when we play them in australia for some reason.

Josh

International Regular
MICKY!! MICKY MY BOY!! Finally! The first Rosanna player to make it to the national team. The club will be going nuts. This is fantastic.

Well earned, Micky. You've done all the hard work mate now show 'em what you're made of.