• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Australia in India***

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Haven't bothered to read all of today's posts - but this match is reminding me a little of Adelaide in the last Ashes - Australia to win tomorrow :p

Demolition Man

State Vice-Captain
I think you meant to say there shouldn't be discussion about his position. Considering there is for a start mean he has perhaps not set the world alight. I am saying I don't think his position should be under severe threat at this stage.

Good luck with those standards, because there won't be another Gilchrist for a long time, if ever again. Keepers averaging close to 50 in test cricket are extremely rare at the moment.
Nobody expects a gilchrist, but if haddin cotinues to fail to reach 50+ he will come under enormous pressure, the aussie media/public don;t really care about cricket untill the test series starts down here, I assure you if he repeats the performances of his first 11 innings in the next 11 he will be under massive pressure.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Nobody expects a gilchrist, but if haddin cotinues to fail to reach 50+ he will come under enormous pressure, the aussie media/public don;t really care about cricket untill the test series starts down here, I assure you if he repeats the performances of his first 11 innings in the next 11 he will be under massive pressure.
Yeah, I think Haddin will be under pressure if he doesn't score a 50 in 22 innings, however I think he'll reach that milestone before then (he probably would've when the innings was declared on 45* in WI).

Also, should point out the keeping reserves are hardly spectacular at the moment:
Christ Hartley - 26 years old - career average 25.38 - currently averaging 14.20
Luke Ronchi - 27 years old - career average 35.11 - currently averaging 15.00
Tim Paine - 23 years old - career average 30.02 - currently averaging 28.50
Matthew Wade - 20 years old - career average 24.13 - currently averaging 9.00
Daniel Smith - 26 years old - career average 20.56 - currently averaging 19.33
Graham Manou - 29 years old - career average 22.48 - currently averaging 43.33

Given the alternatives there, unless they start putting in the numbers to warrant selection, it will remain Haddin's spot. And, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, have I mentioned keepers are picked firstly on their ability to keep and bat second?
If Haddin was playing every innings like the way he played today, and was averaging <25 I'd say he should be dropped, but hasn't and he shouldn't.

Demolition Man

State Vice-Captain
, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, have I mentioned keepers are picked firstly on their ability to keep and bat second?
That is not always the case and there are many examples of sides playing batsmen and hoping they could keep and more often than not it fails miserably as it puts too much pressure on their batting to make up for missed chances in the field.

I don;t disagree with the current lack of form of local keepers, but you have to keep in mind it is just the beginning of the season and again sometimes you need to take a chance on a player at international level that does not have the domestic record to back it up.

Haddin gets the nod but more for lack of any other option than great form.

ODI's on the other hand, I see as being haddins position, his brain explosions are less costly in the ODI's.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lee's batting has really gone down the shute

Even though that was a poor decision, he used to be a top hitter and he didnt do himself any favours by forgetting all about attack

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lee's batting has really gone down the shute

Even though that was a poor decision, he used to be a top hitter and he didnt do himself any favours by forgetting all about attack
Yet his bowling has gone through the roof. Personally, I'd rather he do what he's in the side for.

pup11

International Coach
Good innings that from Clarke, would be nice now if the last wicket can string together a partnership worth 20-30 runs in quick time and then have a real crack at the Indian batsmen.

99*

International Debutant
Only an complete moron would abuse someone for questioning someone who was not performing. I have made it quite clear he is the best choice on paper BUT that does not mean that there should be discussion about his position. I have not demanded be dropped!!!!!

I understand it must be frustrating for you being a kiwi, a player like haddin would be revered in NZ, unfortunately we have different standards over here.
8-) Yes because Brendon McCullum is not a world class player in his own right.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Good response from Aus, particularly after last test's pitiful showing

On a side note, Mishra is the new Nehra of Indian fielding - he is absolutely terrible