• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Australia in India***

pup11

International Coach
Obviously I'm in a minority here, but I am quite excited by the squad that the Aussies have selected. Realistically, I think McGain is the best spinner in the country by a reasonable margin, and Casson, although performing admirably, pretty much fell into the Test side in the West Indies once MacGill packed it in mid-tour - it would have been very damaging for Casson's confidence to be overlooked for that match despite him being on the tour as a 'development' type player. He did a reasonable job all things considered, but it was hard to imagine him not getting absolutely murdered by Sehwag, Laxman and co. on small grounds, especially considering he is a bowler who doesn't get a great deal of bounce.

This, I'd say, is why Krejza got the start. He gives the ball a real rip - differant kind to Casson. Casson is more side spin, not an awful lot of bounce or overspin, but Krejza bowls with a large amount of overspin, which gets the ball to really drop and bounce, which is the danger of these conditions. People get carried away with the idea of the wickets being raging turners, but its not that fact that makes them difficult to bat on - its the fact that certain types of bowlers can get the ball to really 'spit' off these types of surfaces - which is what I believe put Krejza ahead of Casson for this tour. In effect, it was Casson vs McGain for the wrist spinners spot, and McGain is far more suitable as he is very capable of typing up an end whilst the others attack around him, I don't think that Casson is at that stage just yet. Plus, Krejza has impressed Ponting and co. when he's been invited to bowl to the Australians in the nets. His numbers are decieving because of the flat decks he plays on, but he is capable of taking big wickets.

As for Siddle vs. Noffke, I'm happy with the Siddle selection, he looks like one of those bowlers who has something about him. Noffke is the steady as she goes type, but realistically, with Clark (and to a certain extent these days Lee) doing that job, as well as Watsob being there, there isn't alot of need for him. Siddle offers much more penetration, and I believe we would be more likely to get 20 wickets to win a match with Siddle in the side than Noffke - we need striking ability more than a steady type, especially baring in mind we don't have the luxury of our leg-spinners being genuine strike bowlers as well. And, besides, its almost a given that a bowler who performs well in a sheild final gets an Aussie tour spot shortly afterwards - I remember the same good fortune being given to a certain Ashley Noffke in 2001...

The batting pretty much picks itself, I don't think Watson will play unless both McGain and Krejza get a start. As silly as he may have sounded, Shipperd was fair enough to suggest that Cam White may have been worth a gamble as his brand of spin would be reasonably useful, and his batting isn't far off the mark. That said, it's quite correct he has been left out.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents, bring on the series...

I really don't buy into this one wrist spinner and one finger spinner deal, as far i am concerned one should pick their best side, and just picking Krejza because he is a finger-spinner is dire, yeah if your finger-spinner is effective then its always good to have one in sub-continental conditions, but otherwise its just dire to have finger-spinner in the squad for just the sake of having one, which is pretty much the case with Krejza' selection.

As i said before White is all hype no substance so far at international level, we all know he can play aggressively but in Odi cricket we haven't seen him do anything substantial neither with the bat or ball, and his domestic form last season wasn't great either, so all in all to even mention White' name as a possible member of the test squad is dire, if Shippherd really had to take a Victorian name as possible replacement to Symonds then he could have named David Hussey, that would still have been a bit more easier to digest.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
In fairness to White's domestic season last year, he was injured for a while. He rolled his ankle and those can be arseholes of injuries to get over. He probably came back a bit too early on it as well, was extremely ginger on it when batting and it probably affected his confidence a little. Don't blame him for coming back too early though, he was trying to force back into the ODI side.

Andre

International Regular
I really don't buy into this one wrist spinner and one finger spinner deal, as far i am concerned one should pick their best side, and just picking Krejza because he is a finger-spinner is dire, yeah if your finger-spinner is effective then its always good to have one in sub-continental conditions, but otherwise its just dire to have finger-spinner in the squad for just the sake of having one, which is pretty much the case with Krejza' selection.

As i said before White is all hype no substance so far at international level, we all know he can play aggressively but in Odi cricket we haven't seen him do anything substantial neither with the bat or ball, and his domestic form last season wasn't great either, so all in all to even mention White' name as a possible member of the test squad is dire, if Shippherd really had to take a Victorian name as possible replacement to Symonds then he could have named David Hussey, that would still have been a bit more easier to digest.
Not so much a best wrist spinner/finger spinner arguement, its more to do with the best possible attack to take 20 wickets in Indian conditions, and its a fair arguement to suggest that Krejza is more likely to take wickets in Indian conditions than Casson - and to be fair, if we were selecting a squad based purely on the 'best side' theory then neither Casson or Krejza would realisitically be anywhere near the squad. But in terms of picking a balanced squad that is likely to succeed in Indian conditions, then Krejza sneaks in ahead of Casson. Someone highlighted Shaun Udal before, Gavin Robertson had success for us in those conditions, Nathan Hauritz even did well there - doesn't matter if they get smashed all over the park everywhere else in the world, if Krejza can do the best job in these conditions then you pick him.

Certainly wasn't advocating White's selection btw, just think its fair enough he came into discussion.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
India 2-1 after a sporting declaration from Ponting and a few controversial decisions go the way of the Indians, who go on to claim that if the ICC weren't ****s it would have been 4-0

pup11

International Coach
Not so much a best wrist spinner/finger spinner arguement, its more to do with the best possible attack to take 20 wickets in Indian conditions, and its a fair arguement to suggest that Krejza is more likely to take wickets in Indian conditions than Casson - and to be fair, if we were selecting a squad based purely on the 'best side' theory then neither Casson or Krejza would realisitically be anywhere near the squad. But in terms of picking a balanced squad that is likely to succeed in Indian conditions, then Krejza sneaks in ahead of Casson. Someone highlighted Shaun Udal before, Gavin Robertson had success for us in those conditions, Nathan Hauritz even did well there - doesn't matter if they get smashed all over the park everywhere else in the world, if Krejza can do the best job in these conditions then you pick him.

Certainly wasn't advocating White's selection btw, just think its fair enough he came into discussion.
Well fair enough then, lets hope Krejza can do well if given a chance, but nothing in his bowling suggests to me that he would be able to trouble the best players of spin in the world.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
In fairness to White's domestic season last year, he was injured for a while. He rolled his ankle and those can be arseholes of injuries to get over. He probably came back a bit too early on it as well, was extremely ginger on it when batting and it probably affected his confidence a little. Don't blame him for coming back too early though, he was trying to force back into the ODI side.
Also for the Twenty20 Final, too.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Noffke hasn't helped himself, shall we say, "politically"; did himself no favours in the WI and this is the result.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Well fair enough then, lets hope Krejza can do well if given a chance, but nothing in his bowling suggests to me that he would be able to trouble the best players of spin in the world.
Have you seen him bowl, or just basicing your opinon on stats?

The guy spins the bowl a mile and have improved his accuracy and consistency a fair bit. Bowls less four balls then Casson atleast and on pitches that spins would be more effective. His not great, but a better option then Casson on these type of tracks.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Ooo, I love insider info. Related to not getting a Test in the WI?
"Alledgedly..."

Missed out on a game that he thought that he should have played (not sure whether it was Test, ODI or tour game), and was especially unhappy about it as one more game would have resulted in an upgrade in contract and extra $$$. Took Nielsen to task about it, got on his bad side and now we find ourselves in this situation.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!

The guy spins the bowl a mile and have improved his accuracy and consistency a fair bit. Bowls less four balls then Casson atleast and on pitches that spins would be more effective. His not great, but a better option then Casson on these type of tracks.
I've seen him bowl and he definitely did not turn the ball a mile, far less than Dan Cullen for example. I've heard from many other sources that he does, though. Is this a recent development in his game?

Anyway, if there's been one consistency in Indian pitches for a few years now, it's that a bloke turning the ball miles means little because the pitches haven't really turned all that much for ages. All of the successful spinners, probably for 10 years now, have been guys who get bounce. Harbhajan took 33 wickets in 2001 mostly with deliveries that popped and with his quick straight ones and we all know how successful Kumble has been for years. If Andre is right, Krezja seems to logical pick but on the occasions I've seen him bowl, he seemed more of a side-spin variety.

pup11

International Coach

Yeah i have seen him bowl and i know he can give the ball a good rip, but he hardly has the variations to worry the Indian batsmen, and we are talking as if a dust-bowl of track is awaiting the Aussies at all the venues, because that won't be the case as evident from the last few series in India now, and even if the wicket turns it would be a slow turner, so in those sort of conditions variations and accuracy play a big part, Casson may not posses great accuracy atm but he has decent variations, all he needs to do is bowl slightly quicker through the air to be effective on slower tracks, so if were an Aussie selector i would have kept Casson in the squad ahead of Krejza.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Krezja's always looked a bit slower and loopier than most offies going around when I've seen him, and gets really good drop. Lots of overspin.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I've seen him bowl and he definitely did not turn the ball a mile, far less than Dan Cullen for example. I've heard from many other sources that he does, though. Is this a recent development in his game?

Anyway, if there's been one consistency in Indian pitches for a few years now, it's that a bloke turning the ball miles means little because the pitches haven't really turned all that much for ages. All of the successful spinners, probably for 10 years now, have been guys who get bounce. Harbhajan took 33 wickets in 2001 mostly with deliveries that popped and with his quick straight ones and we all know how successful Kumble has been for years. If Andre is right, Krezja seems to logical pick but on the occasions I've seen him bowl, he seemed more of a side-spin variety.
He turned the bowl a lot more when he played for NSW, then Tasmania. But that has a lot to do with the lack of any turn from the Hobart pitch. The occasionally game he got on pitches that turned he showed he still has that in his game.

Though back when he played for NSW he basically just relied on turn. Since moving to Tasmania he develop more slight variations and control, and therefore has reiled less on turn.

Even though pitches in India haven't turned as much as well 5-10 years ago or even 20 years ago. There is still is significant amount of extra turn on Indian pitches then Australian pitches. Which are basically dead for spinners outside the 5th day of test matches, and ocassionally the last couple sessions of a 4 day match. Having someone who is capable of making the most of that extra turn is quite handy.

bryce

International Regular
Michael Clarke bowls alright in India doesn't he:p
I was reading an article and found this quote from the Victoria coach quite hard to come to grips with "We in Victoria find it difficult to understand, particularly on a tour of India, that Shane Watson has filled the allrounder's spot". IMO White still bowls a heap of crap and definately needs to work on bowling tighter so he can maintain pressure on batsmen which means bowling alot less four-balls. My response to Greg Shipperd would be that the Australian players/coaching staff would have more confidence in Michael Clarke's bowling than White's, and Shane Watson cannot only bowl quality seam, but also ****s on him with the bat

pup11

International Coach
Michael Clarke bowls alright in India doesn't he:p
I was reading an article and found this quote from the Victoria coach quite hard to come to grips with "We in Victoria find it difficult to understand, particularly on a tour of India, that Shane Watson has filled the allrounder's spot". IMO White still bowls a heap of crap and definately needs to work on bowling tighter so he can maintain pressure on batsmen which means bowling alot less four-balls. My response to Greg Shipperd would be that the Australian players/coaching staff would have more confidence in Michael Clarke's bowling than White's, and Shane Watson cannot only bowl quality seam, but also ****s on him with the bat
AWTA.

Jakester1288

International Regular
India are happy Symonds is missing test series

Virender Sehwag says India are relieved Andrew Symonds will not be involved in next month's Test series due to his explosive batting power. Symonds was not included in the squad after being sent home before the one-day series against Bangladesh, and his absence has been welcomed by Sehwag.

"We are happy he is not coming because he can change the course of a match any time," Sehwag told Reuters. "He bats at No. 5 and can bowl too, so it will be to our advantage.

"He is a very good player and you need such players to lift the competition. It is a loss for cricket, but we're happy."

Symonds was a central figure in the race row that surrounded Harbhajan Singh when the teams met in Australia in January and he was also a victim of crowd abuse during the previous one-day tour of India. Sehwag did not believe there would be lingering tensions because of the history between the sides.

"Whatever happened last time ended there," Sehwag said. "We will try to play tough cricket, not through words but with the ball." The opening match of the four-Test series starts in Bangalore on October 9.

But seriously, I am happy as well, it is best to keep Symonds and Harbhajan away from each other as much as possible.

And btw, I agree with Andre's post earlier, when you think about it, Australia's squad is not that bad after all.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
‘Oz have learnt to live sans stars’

This is what John Buchanan has to say about this series.
I almost stopped reading after:

John Buchanan was the mastermind behind Australia conquering their Last Frontier in 2004

His "plan" was to have McGrath and Gillespie bowl line and length i.e. precisely the same thing that they did for their > 10 years careers

It was obviously very easy to be declared a mastermind in those days

Anyway, glad I didnt stop reading because it was really enlightening to hear how well we'd do considering he admitted that:

a. None of the bowlers have played there before

b. We have no spinners

c. He assuming Hayden and Ponting are declared fit, which they havent been as yet

He also goes on to declare that the conditions might be "lively" for the quicks - yeah right