• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official Australia in India***

Athlai

Not Terrible
We need runs to win or draw the match. No one is saying he needs to strike at 90, but still going at 15 after he's already been there for an entire session isn't good enough. Don't need to go crazy, just need to be positive and not drag yourself into a hole.
Still not getting out though.

irfan

State Captain
Hussey and Clarke are key wickets IMO. Nab them quickly and we may have a chance of scything through the order

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure if they're being sarcastic or really enjoying it on Cricinfo:
It has been lovely test match cricket. Great bowling and resilient batting in difficult conditions. If you can't appreciate this, try 20/20.

By the way, you know what Katich hasn't done? Got out. It's been a very good innings under the circumstances. Scoring is extremely difficult out there, obviously, and Australia's first priority was to avoid a collapse.

Really bugs me when people harp on about slow scoring under circumstances like this. There's no doubt Australia do need to push for the win, and they should look to up the scoring rate a bit in the final session today, but it's not panic stations on the run rate yet, so why have a go at the guy who kept his wicket intact when other people were getting out?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It has been lovely test match cricket. Great bowling and resilient batting in difficult conditions. If you can't appreciate this, try 20/20.

By the way, you know what Katich hasn't done? Got out. It's been a very good innings under the circumstances. Scoring is extremely difficult out there, obviously, and Australia's first priority was to avoid a collapse.

Really bugs me when people harp on about slow scoring under circumstances like this. There's no doubt Australia do need to push for the win, and they should look to up the scoring rate a bit in the final session today, but it's not panic stations on the run rate yet, so why have a go at the guy who kept his wicket intact when other people were getting out?
Yep, as there are 36 overs left in the day, there is plenty of time to up the ante OR to be bowled out

pup11

International Coach
Does anyone also think it would be worth promoting White in the batting order just to push the tempo of the innings, even if he falls quickly it won't be too big a blow.

Mister Wright

Haha. As if I was having a go at Katich. I've read on Cricinfo a few times and the guys doing the commentary can be very sarcastic. Was just making a comment. I am not currently watching the game so can't judge on whether the innings has been good or bad.

Try getting out of the other side of the bed tomorrow morning.

social

Does anyone also think it would be worth promoting White in the batting order just to push the tempo of the innings, even if he falls quickly it won't be too big a blow.
Not as it stands

If he fails, that is two quick wickets and momentum with India and, in any event, Clarke will score just as quickly playing his normal game

IMO, they should simply play normally for the next 20 overs and then reassess if necessary

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The only way Australia loses is a sudden collapse. I'd expect, if the lead gets past 200 with 7 or 8 in hand, some increase in the pace of scoring, bearing in mind all the blokes to come who are supposed to be able to bat have more ODI than test experience.

They'll probably (unless bowled out) leave 2 sessions plus say 30 minutes tomorrow, put men around the bat and keep reminding them of Sydney.

At least, that's what I'd be having a quiet word about in that situation.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Haha. As if I was having a go at Katich. I've read on Cricinfo a few times and the guys doing the commentary can be very sarcastic. Was just making a comment. I am not currently watching the game so can't judge on whether the innings has been good or bad.

Try getting out of the other side of the bed tomorrow morning.
Eh, it did read like you were having a go at Katich. As in, "this has been such ****ty cricket because his scoring rate is X, how can the commentators think it's good?".

Just a misunderstanding, I guess.

pasag

RTDAS

Bowling has been good and no one is saying he has to go for a tonk or sacrifice his wicket, but a run here or a run there wouldn't be too much to ask would it? Especially after he's spent plenty of time getting himself in.

Mister Wright

Eh, it did read like you were having a go at Katich. As in, "this has been such ****ty cricket because his scoring rate is X, how can the commentators think it's good?".

Just a misunderstanding, I guess.
Fair enough I'm not the biggest Katich fan, but I've disgusted you would think I would prefer 20/20 over test cricket. Can't stand 20/20 myself. Nowhere in that post did I give the impression that I thought it was ****ty cricket. Has been compelling listening.

Burgey

Bowling has been good and no one is saying he has to go for a tonk or sacrifice his wicket, but a run here or a run there wouldn't be too much to ask would it? Especially after he's spent plenty of time getting himself in.
Think it just shows even the good players can sometimes get themselves into a hole. Hopefully best thing for him is the tea break - can have a break, reassess and push on a little more.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Damn. That's a pretty huge blow.
I agree. Lee, Watson, Clarke and White can be expected to bowl a lot more overs, and that can't be good. Seeing as Lee is not at his best, Watson is dire at best, Clarke is only a part timer, and White is, well..terrible. Last time he bowled a lot of overs was in a Pura Cup final where he bowled 50 overs, no wickets for 139 runs. Not exactly what you need right now...It's sad to say that Johnson and Lee will have to get all the wickets. Johnson isn't even that good FFS!

Burgey

I agree. Lee, Watson, Clarke and White can be expected to bowl a lot more overs, and that can't be good. Seeing as Lee is not at his best, Watson is dire at best, Clarke is only a part timer, and White is, well..terrible. Last time he bowled a lot of overs was in a Pura Cup final where he bowled 50 overs, no wickets for 139 runs. Not exactly what you need right now...It's sad to say that Johnson and Lee will have to get all the wickets. Johnson isn't even that good FFS!
Watson got more bounce than anyone first dig, and White was at least better than Casson in terms of his control.

All I heard is he (Clark) has an elbow problem, nothing re its severity. It may be Ponting didn't want to waste him on the tail and risk an aggravation with 10 wickets to get in the 2nd dig. Guess we'lll find out soon enough.

pup11

International Coach
Tbf to Katto he is showing a lot more intent on scoring a bit quickly after tea, there is a bit more urgency to his game now, probably he might have seen Jaques in the dressing-room with an evil grin on his face during the tea-break.:p