• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Australia in India Thread

Linda

International Vice-Captain
broncoman said:
apparently its a similar injury to the one Marto got in the world cup, and he was out for ages....
Yes, but didnt he.. er continue to break it during the final?
Perhaps if Ponting doesnt play, he wont be out as long.. (Im clutching at straws here)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Neil Pickup said:
I thought Craig White wasn't substandard, though?
Oh, in the end his performances were sadly so - doesn't change the fact that he could have done much, much better if you ask me.
Injuries didn't help, of course, he's barely bowled these last 2 seasons.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
Lehmann is expected to be back for the first Test.
So was Jacques Kallis for The First Test in 2003.
It turned-out he was back for The Third.
Never underestimate the effect family illness can have on someone. If it's bad, cricket fades into total insignificance.

Craig

World Traveller
Which in that case two new Baggy Green's will be presented, want to take a guess on presenting them (since there will be at least one handed for the first Test).

If Lehmann doesn't make it, this must surely be a big boost for India that Ponting, and possibily Lehmann don't play in the first Test (or how ever long is their absentence).

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Ponting seems like he has a chance of being back for the 2nd test now. If it comes down to Hodge and Clarke I would choose Clarke (I don't want Hodge in my national team!).

I think that Watson should be considered to fill in for Ponting. If they're looking for a batsman, then Watson has an excellent FC record to back him up. He looks like he's only going to get better, and if he can be a supporting-seamer on top of his batting then Australia also have an extra pace bowling option.

But I suppose that the argument for his bowling comes down to whether you want an extra paceman or a spinner. Primarily Australia are looking for someone to fill in as a batsman, so that limits them to Watson and Clarke. Spin might be more effective in India, but I think Watson is by far the better bowler.

Hodge shouldn't even come into the equation.

Waughney

International Debutant
Craig said:
Which in that case two new Baggy Green's will be presented, want to take a guess on presenting them (since there will be at least one handed for the first Test).
Are you asking who will be presenting the Baggy Greens or who is being presented with them?
If Lehmann doesn't make it, this must surely be a big boost for India that Ponting, and possibily Lehmann don't play in the first Test (or how ever long is their absentence).
Are you trying to say that if Lehman and Ponting are both out (for however long that may be), then it will be a big boost for the Indian team?

Craig

World Traveller
Waughney said:
Are you asking who will be presenting the Baggy Greens or who is being presented with them?
Who will be presenting them.

Waughney said:
Are you trying to say that if Lehman and Ponting are both out (for however long that may be), then it will be a big boost for the Indian team?
Yes.

I mean Australia will be without their skipper and one of their premier batsmen, and Lehmann could be out, and a great player of spin and a fine batsman, and again would probably have played well over 50 Tests if he played for somebody else other then Australia, and him out, coupled with his experience would be a loss.

Take them out and put in two green horns (with regards to international experience), I'm sure that it is in India's favour that they are gone.

Waughney

International Debutant
Craig said:
Who will be presenting them.
Ah, I see, probably an Aussie commentator that would be over there already.

Craig said:
Yes.

I mean Australia will be without their skipper and one of their premier batsmen, and Lehmann could be out, and a great player of spin and a fine batsman, and again would probably have played well over 50 Tests if he played for somebody else other then Australia, and him out, coupled with his experience would be a loss.

Take them out and put in two green horns (with regards to international experience), I'm sure that it is in India's favour that they are gone.
Yep, for sure. Lehman is an amazing player of spin and if he is out, then he would be sorely missed. And well the loss of Ponting is very disappointing too.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Mr Casson said:
I think that Watson should be considered to fill in for Ponting. If they're looking for a batsman, then Watson has an excellent FC record to back him up. He looks like he's only going to get better, and if he can be a supporting-seamer on top of his batting then Australia also have an extra pace bowling option.
In India his seam bowling isn't really so crucial though (unless they pick only 2 front-line seamers)

Eclipse

International Debutant
If Watson plays he should do so as a Batsman at this stage.. I still think he can become quite a good bowler but right now I am afraid he would get masacared by the Indians..

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
marc71178 said:
In India his seam bowling isn't really so crucial though (unless they pick only 2 front-line seamers)
That's why he mentioned Clarke and his spin bowling to be the other argument.

Disappointing that possibly 3 great batsmen are going to be out for the first test, very unlucky.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Personally I'd say Watson is a far better batsman than Clarke and that outweighs any possible advantage of Clarke's bowling.
Don't think it'll be that effective, myself. We've seen plenty of part-timers (Wavell Hinds, to name a prominent recent example) be sporadially effective in ODIs and almost never in Tests.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Waughney said:
Err, no, he's saying that the loss of the opposition's two best batsmen will cause far more problems for India than it will solve! :blink: :D
Anyone facing Australia without Lehmann and Ponting will thank their lucky stars.
Still, it won't make dismissing Hayden, Katich, Langer and Martyn any easier.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Richard said:
Personally I'd say Watson is a far better batsman than Clarke and that outweighs any possible advantage of Clarke's bowling.
Don't think it'll be that effective, myself. We've seen plenty of part-timers (Wavell Hinds, to name a prominent recent example) be sporadially effective in ODIs and almost never in Tests.
The bowling is only to be used as a tie-breaker; the Aussies need a batsman, remember.

Clarke's biggest problem with his batting at the moment is getting out between 30 and 60. He's shown that he can consistently get a decent score, but it won't be enough to hold a spot in the test team, yet.

Watson on the other hand seems capable of much bigger scores. I'm not sure how his technique against spin compares to Clarke's, but I distinctly remember him giving Shane Warne himself a hard time once last season. Can't be the worst.

Craig

World Traveller
Jono said:
Disappointing that possibly 3 great batsmen are going to be out for the first test, very unlucky.
The flip side, it could make it even closer, therefore more exciting IMO.

I am disappionted to see Ricky Ponting is out, as he has a few records to fix, because he averages 12.47 IIRC overall in Tests in India. He can score runs there; just look at ODIs he has played in India, and he has a few hundreds to his name.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
age_master said:
no doubt based on extensive viewing of both players.
He's right to an extent. Watson seems to have a much simpler technique (and it's still pretty solid), whereas Clarke's technique is very much suited to the one-day game, where he can move around the crease and steal runs.

I don't know if Clarke will change his approach much when he gets the chance to play test cricket, but I think he'd tone down the amount of moving around the crease he does.

A lot of people say that Watson's game is too reliant on boundaries, but I haven't noticed that yet, to be honest. As long as he makes runs, which he has been doing, I don't see a problem.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
In the First-Class-game you can be as boundary-reliant as you want.
In the one-day game it won't work very well except in extreme cases (eg Hayden).
Still not certain about Watson the one-day batsman myself.