• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Australia in India Thread

Linda

International Vice-Captain
PP, give the little guy another chance (even though he irritates the hell outta me).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Certainly it would be a little harsh were Patel to be axed from the Test-match scene at present, he hasn't done too badly in recent matches. Karthik's inclusion for ODIs baffles logic like many things about Indian selection, so I wouldn't be surprised if something else silly happens here.

tooextracool

International Coach
Richard said:
Karthik's inclusion for ODIs baffles logic like many things about Indian selection, so I wouldn't be surprised if something else silly happens here.
it makes perfect sense IMO to groom a young keeper in inconsequential ODI series. i would restrict the use of dravid as keeper to the big tournaments to keep him from getting injured.

Craig

World Traveller
Or rather say against 'weaker' sides in a tournament (ie Zimbabwe, Bangladesh etc) if they play against them, but give him the gloves for the big games?

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
After his 'display' vs England in that semi-final match, Brett Lee should not even be going to India.

And I know that ODIs are way different to Tests, but if Lee can't even get the ODI's right, he will be slaughtered in the Tests in India.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jnr. said:
After his 'display' vs England in that semi-final match, Brett Lee should not even be going to India.

And I know that ODIs are way different to Tests, but if Lee can't even get the ODI's right, he will be slaughtered in the Tests in India.
Is that a judgement based upon an over where he was taken apart for 4 boundaries?

If it is and the argument is justified, perhaps Glenn McGrath should consider retirement because he also was shredded in an over, and looked far more innocuous.

(note: this is NOT me saying that McGrath should go belly-up)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I think the simple fact is, Lee's going to have a harder time bowling on sub continent pitches, and we've seen how when conditions don't suit him, he can often go for a lot of runs.

Disregarding yesterday's performance, I feel he still shouldn't play ahead of the other 3 pacers in India.

FRAZ

International Captain
For India Kumble is going to come out big . And I dont know why but I like Kumble , He is wonderful .And Bhaji (Harbhajan) is extremely rediculous now a days against the top teams . Best of Luck India and keep home the glory . Atleast dont let Aussies the only trophy that they dont have in their bag . Any ways IMO Dravid and Kaif are gonna play a big role and I really dont like Sehwag's way of playing and he is going to make no deep impact on the result .
*Cheers*

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
Is that a judgement based upon an over where he was taken apart for 4 boundaries?
Not really, but I don't think he has anything when the conditions don't suit him, he'll be easily taken to pieces.

Not to mention that Brett is worse in Tests than ODIs.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
RTP and SRT out of The First Test - that would be a big blow. :(
My predicted Australian line-up changes to:
Langer
Hayden
Katich
Martyn
Lehmann
Clarke
Gilchrist
Warne
Kasprowicz
Gillespie
McGrath
I suppose there's a chance Watson might play instead of Clarke (and in all honesty I presently rate Watson the better batsman in the First-Class game).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
luckyeddie said:
No, I shouldn't think so, nor on a spell where he was taken apart for 65 off 9 overs.
Just on the fact that, since 2001, he's averaged all but 40.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richard said:
No, I shouldn't think so, nor on a spell where he was taken apart for 65 off 9 overs.
Just on the fact that, since 2001, he's averaged all but 40.
And averages mean diddly-squat, don't they? Or is that only when you WANT them to mean nothing?

telsor

U19 12th Man
Saw a report on TV today that the tour might be called off due to disputes regarding the TV rights/coverage.

The report was brief and I didn't understand the how/why, but the reporter is quite reputable ( Steve Quartermain ).

The broad scope seemed to be that TV rights were recently granted and the loser ( fox/murdoch ) is taking legal action about it. More particularly, this means that the tour wont be broadcast in Aus, and the ACB is threatening to pull out because of that.

What I don't understand is how the cause leads to this effect.

Murdoch/fox is not the major cricket broadcaster in Aus, although they have been advertising how they're carrying the IND/AUS series, so I can see how this might effect the broadcast in Aus, but not why the ACB cares...I can only assume that the ACB is getting the money from the Aus TV rights or something.

It also seems really late to be awarding contracts like this, although maybe it's been held up by legal/court issues.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Telsor...

It's all down to this:

No tv coverage, no cameras for third umpire.
No third umpire, no test match.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
luckyeddie said:
Telsor...

It's all down to this:

No tv coverage, no cameras for third umpire.
No third umpire, no test match.
I've got a digital camera with sound and zoom - for a small fee, airfares and accomodation I'll give this whole third umpire gig a go!

tooextracool

International Coach
Craig said:
Or rather say against 'weaker' sides in a tournament (ie Zimbabwe, Bangladesh etc) if they play against them, but give him the gloves for the big games?
nope because that wouldnt prove anything at all...seriously if karthik succeeded against bangladesh and zimbabwe would you really be convinced that he was a good enough batsman to play for india?
i dont mind him getting games against any top ODI team in a minor tournament, but for the important tournaments like the world cup, icc championships or even the asia cup i might actually keep him out.