• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Australia in India Thread

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
biased indian said:
i hope atleast the man in bold will be easy :)

other wise we are in for big trouble
Well if he plays as well as he played at The SCG and The SSC I can't believe he's going to be that easy.
I think he might be a little better than you're hoping for, myself.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
Richard said:
Well if he plays as well as he played at The SCG and The SSC I can't believe he's going to be that easy.
I think he might be a little better than you're hoping for, myself.
I don't rate Simon Katich as much as I used to. I think he'll find it hard to stay in the team for too much longer, unless Darren Lehmann retires soon.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Casson said:
I don't rate Simon Katich as much as I used to. I think he'll find it hard to stay in the team for too much longer, unless Darren Lehmann retires soon.
which could very well be the case, rumours are that lehmann will retire after the summer of 2005.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
tooextracool said:
which could very well be the case, rumours are that lehmann will retire after the summer of 2005.
Maybe it will start this mass exodus we keep hearing about.

Still, I'm sure there is a better replacement for Darren Lehmann than Simon Katich on a more permanent basis. If Shane Watson backs up his form from last season, I'd back him to do it.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm sure that Warne has an ulterior motive, equipping himself with myriad carbohydrates.

Maybe the ICC will have to step in, and "back-firing" will become as acceptable as bodyline bowling and underarming. :D

Mind you, I don't know how the umpire is going to give it out if he's passed out from gas-poisoning.

Craig

World Traveller
Interesting stat that was published in today's paper that in Tests against India in which Dravid and Warne has played in, Dravid averages 38, but in Tests between the two countries, but Warne hasn't played, Dravid averages 109.

It also suggested that Warne comes onto bowl (providing he isn't then) when Dravid walks to the crease because Warne has got him out 5 times. Would anybody go with what was suggested?

With Harbhajan (should he play) it would also be a tatic to put in a 3rd man when he is batting, as that tends to be an area where likes to score most of his runs from.

Steulen

International Regular
Meanwhile, there is some serious c***su***** going on in the Australian camp, with Hayden claiming he never notices his own score, but always knows his partnership score with Justin Langer. Oh, how lovvellyyy...

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Mr Casson said:
I'm sure that Warne has an ulterior motive, equipping himself with myriad carbohydrates.

Maybe the ICC will have to step in, and "back-firing" will become as acceptable as bodyline bowling and underarming. :D

Mind you, I don't know how the umpire is going to give it out if he's passed out from gas-poisoning.
Yeah, I guess when Dravid would be at the non-striker's end he will be the target of Warne's "back-firing" and will pass out anyway. :D :D

But seriously, Dravid's stature as a batsman has grown by a huge proportion since the last time Warne and Dravid faced each other. So IMO, the fact that Warne has got him 5 times in test matches is not as relevant for this series as it normally would be.

tooextracool

International Coach
Mr Casson said:
Maybe it will start this mass exodus we keep hearing about.

Still, I'm sure there is a better replacement for Darren Lehmann than Simon Katich on a more permanent basis. If Shane Watson backs up his form from last season, I'd back him to do it.
from what ive seen of the 2 of them at the international level, katich is ahead of watson by a country mile.....

tooextracool

International Coach
Craig said:
Interesting stat that was published in today's paper that in Tests against India in which Dravid and Warne has played in, Dravid averages 38, but in Tests between the two countries, but Warne hasn't played, Dravid averages 109.

It also suggested that Warne comes onto bowl (providing he isn't then) when Dravid walks to the crease because Warne has got him out 5 times. Would anybody go with what was suggested?
something that i mentioned about a month ago!

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
With the emphasis by the Aussies on playing this series very patiently and not go for their natural slam bang game, I think this series can be one grinding stalemate with neither batting side giving an inch and not taking the initiative to force the issue. It all depends however on how the wickets turn out to be.

Mr Casson

Cricketer Of The Year
tooextracool said:
from what ive seen of the 2 of them at the international level, katich is ahead of watson by a country mile.....
What you've seen of them at international level has no basis for comparison. Watson hasn't played a test, and Katich has barely played a ODI.

Don't judge Watson's ability to play test cricket when he hasn't even played a test. Especially by using his ODI performances, because I think he is much more suited to the long version of the game.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
What do any Indian fans (or anyone else for that matter) think of Sriram's chances of making a test debut in this series?

I don't think I've seen him play (he doesn't seem to have hung around for long in the ODIs he's played, which would be the only time I could have caught a glimpse), but he has a tremendous domestic record, made a big score against Rest of India and now has an unbeaten ton against India seniors. He must be in the frame, at least while Tendulkar is out injured.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
garage flower said:
What do any Indian fans (or anyone else for that matter) think of Sriram's chances of making a test debut in this series?
Its tough getting into this test side in the middle order inspite of Tendulkar's absence unless Yuvraj is asked to open which I doubt is going to happen. Yuvraj will take Sachin's place in the middle order.

If Yuvraj fails it wont matter because sachin will perhaps be back for the second test.

It is interesting to see how Kumble and Harbhajan managed one wicket each for a combined total of over 150 runs while Zaheer and Pathan bagged 5 between them for about a hundred.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
SJS said:
It is interesting to see how Kumble and Harbhajan managed one wicket each for a combined total of over 150 runs while Zaheer and Pathan bagged 5 between them for about a hundred.
I think this confirms that the Bangalore wicket helps the quicks more then the spinners.

Depending on the performance of Yuvraj in this match versus Sriram's, I think a decision should be made about who should play in the first match.If Yuvraj continues his form of late, I think Sriram should get the nod.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Casson said:
What you've seen of them at international level has no basis for comparison. Watson hasn't played a test, and Katich has barely played a ODI.

Don't judge Watson's ability to play test cricket when he hasn't even played a test. Especially by using his ODI performances, because I think he is much more suited to the long version of the game.
I'd personally say Katich has always been an outstanding player of seam and swing and has of late shown that he may be solving his long-standing problems with spin.
Watson, meanwhile, could become a good player - in the long form of the game.
Don't really think Watson is going to be quite as good as Katich.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
That would be a crying shame - why on Earth would he want to do that?
He waits all this time to get into the team, then when he finally starts to build himself a career, he gives it away!
Still, it'll make the Australians weaker, so it has it's plus-points.