• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Australia in India Thread

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Idiots picked one seamer last time on one of the most seam-friendly wickets you'll ever see.
And there was one who dropped catch after catch behind the stumps.

Come to think of it, no doubt 3 spinners is a good option, as was with old Indian teams that actually won away from home, since spin is their main bowling strength. But you can't win matches with just 1 seamer. Definitely not if it is Ganguly.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Yuvraj has been in horrendous form as of late, a stark contrast from Pakistan. I've always thought he as a superb number 4/number 5 player and definitely not an opener. But with Tendulkar permanantely slated at number 4 and Yuvraj going through a lean patch, Chopra and Sehwag should get the openers positions.
Yuvraj should only play in the top 3 positions, since he bats better when the ball comes on the bat at a good pace. hat does not happen at 4/5/6, since he is facing the slower bowlers- and getting out to them really quickly. In Australia, where the ball comes on the bat nicely, he got a lot of runs, including that 139, because of the bounce.

As for Agarkar, one flash innings does not count. Not to mention, his pathetic form of late. You cannot expect to win a Test match when your strike bowler averages 44- you're asking for the impossible. They can try a fresh, new seamer, or someone who has been performing consistently, but is getting little opportunities. Someone like Bhandari, or Salvi.

masterblaster

International Captain
To throw Bhandari or Salvi into the lions den against the World Champions would be suicidal for their young careers.

If you want Salvi or Bhandari to be big future prospects, give them the experience against anybody except the world champions, as they'd eat Salvi and Bhandari alive.

Ajit on the other hand has 6/41 in a test and 6/42 in an ODI against Australia to his credit.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I have a habit of always having the same opinion of Masterblaster's. It's kind of freaky ;)

Akash Chopra
Virender Sehwag
Rahul Dravid
Sachin Tendulkar (if fit) / Yuvraj Singh (if Tendulkar is unfit)
VVS Laxman
Sourav Ganguly
Parthiv Patel (w/k)
Ajit Agarkar (decent bowling record against Australia)
Irfan Pathan
Harbhajan Singh
Anil Kumble

That team of Master's is my exact team, just with Pathan and Agarkar swapping places as some have pointed out. Although I wouldn't mind seeing Karthik with the gloves, I guess depending on how he keeps in the Champions Trophy? Although Patel now has experience against the Aussies, either one is fine for me. I think Agarkar is the better option than Nehra against Australia, Zaheer would be a shocking choice if he's not fit (example in Melbourne) and don't even bother with all the new bowlers such as Salvi and Bhandari. They'll be clobbered by the best team in the world.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Would Parthiv be able to handle Harbhajan and Kumble on turning Indian pitches? I hardly saw any of the Pakistan series, so I don't know if he's improved his glovework since the Aus series. If he hasn't improved, Karthik should get a go I think.

Craig

World Traveller
I'm not disagreeing with you over Kasprowicz, Lee shouldn't be withing a country mile of the Australian Test team, do you rate him as an ODI bowler TEC?

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Lee wont play the first test, but depending on form between now and than, and the Indian batting he may well come back in after that

tooextracool

International Coach
Craig said:
I'm not disagreeing with you over Kasprowicz, Lee shouldn't be withing a country mile of the Australian Test team, do you rate him as an ODI bowler TEC?
i wouldnt say that he shouldnt be with a mile fo the test team, but theres no way he can start ahead of kaspa especially considering that kaspa has bowled better than all the other fast bowlers in the side in the last 2 series.
i would have lee as back up though, australia could use some of that pace if someone like gillespie gets injured.
as far as lee and ODIs go, i think hes good when hes on song, but not good enough to get into the side ATM.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Arjun said:
And there was one who dropped catch after catch behind the stumps.
Yes, Dasgupta should never have been given the gloves. I think most people realise that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
So what, remember the India tour (93?) - 4 seamers when India picked 1?
That, presumably, was idiocy on the part of England's selectors - a proper Indian wicket where England picked 4 seamers.
This was a match played in conditions resembling Old Trafford in June on a bad week: seaming wicket, thick cloud. And India picked 1 seamer.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
Weren't they also when he wasnt fully fit?
One of them, I think, but it didn't have any effect - he was just played rather better than he had been on other occasions (such as when he averaged about 15 on two of the most seaming wickets you'll ever see in New Zealand, when turn was the sort of thing only a wristspinner could achieve).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, all right, that was poorly phrased - not like it wasn't likely to have some effect - but being fully fit wouldn't IMO have improved his figures.
He was simply shown-up as nothing more than a typical fingerspinner - ineffective on surfaces that don't offer the requistite turn against decent batting.