• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
age_master said:
Giles would rate an 8 for that perfromance i reakon but KP and Jones should both be under 4, Jones was better, but still awful with the gloves.
Except for one spell, Giles was poor.

He bowled far too many 4 balls for a finger spinner and unless he hits the rough AND the batsmen decide to play at it, he lacks penetration.

Vaughan looked more dangerous in the second innings and he almost never bowls.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
social said:
For all those that have criticised KP, Jones and Giles in this test, I'll have you know that UK's Daily Mirror rated their performances 6/10, 8/10 and 8/10 respectively.

Considering that KP dropped 2 catches, generally ran around like an idiot and scored 21 runs in 2 innings, it makes you wonder what you have to do to be considered a failure on their criteria
Told you before about reading morons' newspapers - they only exist to pander to the unwashed (and to wrap chips in).

Slow Love™

International Captain
I was just catching up with some of the news wraps on TV. Steve Harmison's face really said it all when it was over, didn't it? Absolutely crushed with the draw.

DJellett

International Debutant
How is SK Warne NOT MOM? 90, 34 and 4/99 in the first dig - surely better than 1 good knokc. If it's based on that, then why not Vaughan?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
DJellett said:
How is SK Warne NOT MOM? 90, 34 and 4/99 in the first dig - surely better than 1 good knokc. If it's based on that, then why not Vaughan?
Because Ponting saved the test? I'd have gone with Ponting, then Vaughan, then Jones, with Warne fourth.

DJellett

International Debutant
FaaipDeOiad said:
Because Ponting saved the test? I'd have gone with Ponting, then Vaughan, then Jones, with Warne fourth.
Fair call, I still think Australia would be thrashed without Warney...

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
FaaipDeOiad said:
I'd definitely agree that Warne is not in the first two but I'd rate him ahead of Simon Jones TBH, considering his effort with the bat - agree with Ponting first, Vaughan second though.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
DJellett said:
Fair call, I still think Australia would be thrashed without Warney...
IMO, Stuart MacGill isn't that far behind Warne in terms of what he brings to the Australian side when he's actually selected, TBH I think Australia is more vulnerable without McGrath.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FaaipDeOiad said:
Some could argue that by helping Australia past 245 in the first innings Warne did a lot more.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, my take on the game (and the state of the series) is simple:

I feel privileged to have watched such fabulous cricket matches - two of the most wonderfully fought-out, vibrant contests of all time in consecutive weeks. Much as I was rooting for England in this game (as always), I wanted Shane to get his ton earlier in the game (I really hope he gets one before he hangs his boots up) and I certainly didn't begrudge Australia hanging on by the skin of their teeth on Monday evening.

Putting it in boxing parlance, Australia were simply slaughtered, yet no matter how many times they were knocked down, they struggled to their feet again and carried on. It was like one of those old contests where 'points' didn't come into it - if you could get up, you carried on for round after round. It's been breathless stuff.

England have come of age in this series - they have already proved themselves worthy adversaries because in the way they play and think about the game, they have BECOME Australians themselves (that much was obvious the way they bounced back after Lord's).

England are ready to take over as the best team in the world - the only problem is, Australia are not ready to let them (that much is obvious the way THEY fought out two dramatic rearguard actions at Edgbaston and Old Trafford).

Vaughan and Ponting both captained from the front in this game, and it's fitting that they should have both registered their first centuries of the series. It's also fitting that a number of other players on both sides have answered a few critics of late too.

Now it's time for us all to draw breath, the players to gird their loins for the still greater challenges to come, and for us as supporters to continue our petty squabbling as to which umpiring decision has favoured which side the most, and which side are going to be carrying more mental baggage and why.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Some could argue that by helping Australia past 245 in the first innings Warne did a lot more.
Who's to say that England were definitely going to enforce the follow on though?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Had they done Australia for about 200, which is around about what they would've done without Warne's knock, I'm fairly sure they would've done.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
We bloody drew !!! What great new to wake up to here Down Under ... I think the Ashs should be ours now, but I'd also really like us to win the series not draw it.

Demolition Man

State Vice-Captain
luckyeddie said:
Well, my take on the game (and the state of the series) is simple:

I feel privileged to have watched such fabulous cricket matches - two of the most wonderfully fought-out, vibrant contests of all time in consecutive weeks. Much as I was rooting for England in this game (as always), I wanted Shane to get his ton earlier in the game (I really hope he gets one before he hangs his boots up) and I certainly didn't begrudge Australia hanging on by the skin of their teeth on Monday evening.

Putting it in boxing parlance, Australia were simply slaughtered, yet no matter how many times they were knocked down, they struggled to their feet again and carried on. It was like one of those old contests where 'points' didn't come into it - if you could get up, you carried on for round after round. It's been breathless stuff.

England have come of age in this series - they have already proved themselves worthy adversaries because in the way they play and think about the game, they have BECOME Australians themselves (that much was obvious the way they bounced back after Lord's).

England are ready to take over as the best team in the world - the only problem is, Australia are not ready to let them (that much is obvious the way THEY fought out two dramatic rearguard actions at Edgbaston and Old Trafford).

Vaughan and Ponting both captained from the front in this game, and it's fitting that they should have both registered their first centuries of the series. It's also fitting that a number of other players on both sides have answered a few critics of late too.

Now it's time for us all to draw breath, the players to gird their loins for the still greater challenges to come, and for us as supporters to continue our petty squabbling as to which umpiring decision has favoured which side the most, and which side are going to be carrying more mental baggage and why.
Good summation.

I would add that the aussies have recieved a big kick up the rear end so far.
They will take more form the extended break than "the England".

Australia have alot of homework to do but they have plenty of time to do it.

Do the aussies have enough time to find merlin the bowling machine and destroy it ?????

The Aussies have the momentum now, something they don't really deserve, but they have the upper-hand........just.

The English have thrown everything at the Aussies yet it is still 1-1 , the Aussies have more tricks reminaing uo their sleeves than the English do IMHO.

PY

International Coach
People keep on saying that the Aussies are bound to improve but I'm not so sure myself.

The class of player is obviously there but if England's bowlers keep on top of the batsmen as they have thus far then I'm not sure they will get into form. I'd like to think that the Aussies aren't playing well because England are but not many people seem to think the same if I've read correctly. :(

anzac

International Debutant
IMO the series outcome will be influenced by the following considerations;

* can ENG maintain this level of cricket over the remianing 2 matches - let alone lift the level again...............they've had AUS on the ropes in the last 2 meetings yet have been unable to put them away.............

* AUS will benefit more so than ENG from the extra time to re-group & re-think, ENG has a danger of going 'off the boil'...............

* I can not recall the last time AUS had played 3 Tests & had only 1 ton to show for 6 batting innings.......and no platform from the openers...............

* Aus seam bowling has not worked as a unit as yet - Dizzy will sit the next one out for Kasper - Lee has answered his critics with his recent contributions, and they will prey for a fully fit McGrath.............

* Bottom line for me will be the mental toughness & desire of the respective teams - we know they have the 'toughness' as evidenced in their rearguard actions in the last 2 Tests, but is AUS getting 'tired', and are ENG 'strong' enough to take it from them...............

but what a hell of a series.................... gimme a series like this over any number of ODI WC anyday..........:D