• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Nnanden said:
Buuut... I can`t help thinking - in the final over, where McGrath got a single, would it have been worth picking the ball up and rolling it over the boundary to keep McGrath on strike? Just a thought. :cool:
You haven't seen the movie Lagaan by any chance, have you?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scaly piscine said:
Ugh, the tabloids generally know sod all about cricket and those marks out of ten things are always useless. Giles was easily the worst of the bowlers, it wasn't Harmison or Hoggard's sort of pitch but they still got a couple of wickets, Giles bowled 57 overs and took 3 wickets on a pitch that was helping him a lot and got a duck when he batted - that's about as bad as a performance you can get on a pitch that's helping.
Could you please explain why Shane Warne was also unable to pick up a single wicket in the second innings?

(I think I know the answer and it applies to both bowlers - I just wondered whether you did)

howardj

International Coach
luckyeddie said:
Could you please explain why Shane Warne was also unable to pick up a single wicket in the second innings?

(I think I know the answer and it applies to both bowlers - I just wondered whether you did)
I'd be keen to hear it. I think, just on that, the batsmen from both sides played Warne and Giles much better than they did at Edgbaston - used the crease much more. Anyway, why didn't Giles come around the wicket? That was criminal.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
luckyeddie said:

He wasn't particularly bowling for wickets except for early on, he did a good job by restricting the runs and actually he made a better contribution than McGrath in the second innings. Giles' job was to take wickets and/or build up pressure and he failed miserably.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Scaly piscine said:
he did a good job by restricting the runs and actually he made a better contribution than McGrath in the second innings.
I`ve heard some weird things... but that takes the cake.

Warne`s three-an-over effort was BETTER than McGrath`s five-for? :ban:

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Nnanden said:

Actually, in the context, probably. England were looking for quick runs and Warne was keeping one end tight (obviously bowling a defensive line). Remember, McGrath went for about 5-an-over...not ideal when you're trying to keep the runs down (and not looking for wickets really). If he'd taken early wickets, it'd be different, but apart from Tresco, 4 of McGrath's wickets came in a flurry when England were nearing the declaration.

Last edited:

Knopfler

School Boy/Girl Captain
Nnanden said:

I can see how it can be considered better. With a comfortable England lead, their second innings was much about scoring as quickly as possible. Warne was by FAR the most economical Australian bowler. You can argue that McGrath taking wickets unabled set batsmen to score more quickly against Warne, or you can argue that Warne being economical made the batsmen make mistakes against McGrath.

Anyway, Warne did bowl well in the second innings. He was very economical under the circumstances and he was unlucky not to get 2 or 3 wickets (thanks largely to Gilchrist).

Which brings me to the MOM. Ponting's innings on the last day was magnificant (and I mean it, it reeallly was good), and would usually warrant a MOM, however I think Warne deserved it.

Warne bowled very well in the first innings, especially considering the pitch at the time. His first batting dig of 90 was necessary for Australia, without it Australia would have had NO CHANCE to save it. In England's second innings, had Warne gone for the more common 5 (or so) an over, England would have had 15-20 more overs to bowl at Australia. Finally Warne batted out a lot of balls in the second innings, playing most probably a vital role in saving the match.

Im sure most will disagree with me, but I think Warne's performance beats Ponting's excellent innings and unsatisfactory captaincy.

EDIT: What about Vaughan? or Jones for his first innnings bowling?

Last edited:

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Nnanden said:

How McGrath got 5 wickets with those pies, I'll never know

Swervy

International Captain
Nnanden said:
Nothing I can say, that hasn`t been said. Brilliant. :D

Buuut... I can`t help thinking - in the final over, where McGrath got a single, would it have been worth picking the ball up and rolling it over the boundary to keep McGrath on strike? Just a thought. :cool:

Ponting you legend. And that catch off Warne! CRIKEY!
I beleive it is not allowed..if its not in the laws of the game, I think it would be considered unsportsmanlike...

The other week whilst i was playing, we were trying to keep a batsman from strike and last ball of the over he hit one in the general direction of one of our fielders, I shouted out to the fielder to leave it to go to the boundary...and the batsman complained about it because he was reported and fined for doing the same thing a few weeks earlier

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
howardj said:
I'd be keen to hear it. I think, just on that, the batsmen from both sides played Warne and Giles much better than they did at Edgbaston - used the crease much more. Anyway, why didn't Giles come around the wicket? That was criminal.
Whether it was to do with the rain or not, or just the sheer effort the OT groundstaff put in to not produce a raging turner from day 1, what seemed to happen as the wicket started to take spin was that all the pace that was in the wicket on the first day (and there wasn't much in the first place) went out of it - witness how easy Bell was able to play Warne from the crease, especially in the second innings. It's even more important for a spinner like Giles to have a bit of pace and bounce - after all, it's not the ball that turns that's Giles's main weapon but his 'arm-ball'.

Demolition Man

State Vice-Captain
simmy said:
TV audience may have been bigger than the last test as well.

Cricket is all over back and front pages. Fantastic.
To me that is almost as important as an Aussie win.
Although I find it hard to say cricket is the winner when only 1 side is playing really well, while the other is under-peforming.

Demolition Man

State Vice-Captain
Changes for the next test-----
*Keeping in mind the events of the tour match may very well dictate the changes.

OUT-Dizzy for Kasper (I would prefer Tait, and I think we need him for his raw pace but he is a risk)

OUT-Katich for Hodge (mainly because he is a right-hander, katich just can't play flintoff, I would put in Hussey)

Should be moved into squad---- Hussey Dominated England in the ODI, non otf their bowlers got on top of him, had the highest average of all playes in the natwest series and was not dismissed in the natwest challenge.

Changes for England
Collingwood in for Hoggard. (England are coping fine with their current bowling stocks of harmision flintoff and jones, collingwood provides something with the bad and is capabel with the ball)

Demolition Man

State Vice-Captain
Come someone give me some information about the mysetrious 'Merlin' bowling machine ?????
Please ??? Or is the information classified ???