• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in England (The Ashes)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Donny said:
Opening bowlers: McGrath - ave. 21.2 Gillespie - 24 against Hoggard - 29.6 and Harmo - 28 (much worse over last 12 months)

First change pacemen: Kaspa - 31.1 against Jones - 31.4 and Freddy 33.3
Harmison hasn't been worse over the last 12 months - it is one tour!

And Flintoff's 33.3 must be one of the most misleading averages in Test Cricket (although to be fair I'd say Kaspa's is a little that way)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FaaipDeOiad said:
England clearly possess the same qualities, and will not fold this tour as they have in the past. It will be a great series, and England need to do well in the 20/20 and the ODIs to set the tone for a good series.
I don't know if they do or not to be honest - last time we did do well (97) we were still thumped (eventually!)

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Harmison's problems in SA were for a number of reasons that are very unlikely to manifest this time round (homesickness, lack of warm-up to get into a rhythm compounded by no time between games to work on anything)

And how long will Jones have to play to be classified a regular?
Whatever the reasons were, that doesn't alter the fact that if he doesn't bowl better in the future he will come under pressure.

And Jones is a regular, but he's not proven at test level... by which I mean that if he were to have an extended poor run like Harmison, people wouldn't be so certain of his eventual return to form and he might well be dropped for someone like Tremlett.

BARMY_LAD

Cricket Spectator
DO NOT WRITE OFF ENGLAND FOR THE ASHES!!!

In an article on 'Cricinfo Australia', 1948 'Invincible' Neil Harvey was confident of Australia returning home undefeated.
http://content.cricinfo.com/australia/content/story/210813.html

The current England side is amoungst the best that I have seen, we have managed to fight off our critics and maintain the number 2 ranking... now we are after Australia's blood!!

I have said it before and I will say it again ENGLAND WILL WIN THE ASHES 2-1, forget about the ODI's -as much as I like them- they can't be taken too seriously, although I would like to win the ODI series against Australia and Bangladesh, so long as we win the Ashes then it will be mission accomplished!

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
I don't know if they do or not to be honest - last time we did do well (97) we were still thumped (eventually!)
True, but I think it depends on the extent of the losses, if that's what happens. If we have a repeat of 2001 and lose all of our ODI games against Aus by increasing margins, then that must have some effect on the psychology at the start of the series. Aren't we due to play them seven times, assuming we reach the final of the NW? If we lose all or nearly all of those, that's going to take a bit of recovering from. However, if we win a few along the way, then no problem. Or if Aus look uncomfortable against Harmison, Jones & Flintoff, then that would at least send a few messages out. If however, our quicks get treated with the same contempt that their predecessors did in 2001, then that has to be damaging. Not the cleverest schedule, is it?

I take your point about Aus in 1997, but there are a few differences. Firstly it was only 3 games when they were desperately undercooked. Secondly, both sides knew that Aus had been by far the better side for the last 4 Ashes series, irrespective of what happened in those ODI's.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
marc71178 said:
TBF it was a credit to Taylor's team that they were able to come back from a 3-0 drubbing in the ODIs & a thumping in the 1st test. Although we're now a much more resilient team than we were even 18 months ago I do wonder if we could recover in such a fashion.

I know one must allow for the respective strengths of the teams, but The Windies outplayed us in the Nat West last year & we were able to recover to whitewash them in the tests. So I hope a poor showing in the ODIs won't necessarily set the tone now. Actualy, of course I hope we don't have a poor showing, but we remain fairly unconvincing as an ODI outfit.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Craig said:
Didn't Steve Waugh get a helpfull LBW decision or two during his twin-ton Ashes at Trent Bridge.
Are you thinking of Old Trafford in 1997?

Maybe he did, but they were still 2 of the best innings I can remember in an Ashes series. I remember watching the first day when Aus really struggled on a tricky wicket, but SW saw them to a total which looked like a probable match winner even at the end of Day 1. Absolutely crucial, given that Aus were still 1-0 behind before the game.

BARMY_LAD

Cricket Spectator
Neil Pickup said:
You know, if you reasoned your arguments then people might pay the slightest bit of attention to you.
What's with your sarcasm? Does one have to justify everything?
But for the sake of silencing you... here goes.
We have a young, professional unit who are capable of great things (as seen in South Africa), with Freddie on the mend, Andrew Strauss starting his Test career off in fine form and Michael Vaughan averaging 63.33 in the 5 Tests he's played against the Aussies I think that gives us a reasonable chance.

As for the bowling department, if we get Harmo back to full confidence then the sky is the limit, Hoggy is in great form and with Freddy (the new age Ian Botham) need I say more!

Based on ranking and statistics Australia may be classified as the better side, but don't forget it is a home series in England. No doubt about it, it is the most eagerly anticipated series in a long time!

EVERY DOG HAS IT'S DAY

BTW
You are quite welcome to post a long, drawn out reply if necessary Neil, dont let me stop you!... although I dont see the point of giving a reason for every post that one makes,

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
When you make outlandish claims like you do, you have to justify them or else you look daft (go and look at any India or Pakistan related thread.

Whilst England have their best chance of winning the Ashes since 1987, to use the word "will" is simplistic and, let's be honest, totally ignorant.

tooextracool

International Coach
Top_Cat said:
I vote this interview with Phil DeFreitas as the most non-committal and 'greatest avoidance of giving an actual opinion' of all time;

http://content.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/210651.html

I mean, geez what dosage of Prozac was he on when they asked him these questions??
to be fair he did answer most of the personal questions, certainly had no clue about any of the strategical questions. whichever side hes going to be coaching is surely going to have problems.

jlo33692

U19 Debutant
Here we go again

OK time for a prediction///
how can australia lose a single test against this current english side?
It wont happen ,the best i think that the english can hope for is to draw a couple of test .
As an Aus supporter you must remeber for 20 years now we have been comming up against the new next thing on world cricket only to sit back and watchthe likes of s/africa lose 5/0 on home soil when they were 2nd place on test and very similar to the optimism that is comming from england . Then it was windies,then it was ***** then it was india.
Now if you are being honest about the current england team there seems to be holes everywhere that Australia will and thrive on expoiting. No spinners of any world class note. 1 maybe 2 class batsman no bowling attack of anything better than what they have faced from say shaun pollock and co,wasim and shoab,the windies bowling machines,india spin friendly wickets nulling australias fast bowlers,dito sri lanka,,,so while not wanting to sound arrogant you must realise every time we come up against someone that think they have a chance it only ends in dissapointment as the test are over in 3 days 4 days if the other mob put up some resistance. Read all the other threads from other tours and ypou will see exactly the same optimism that is shown here and while i admire all the talk and support for the english i am afraid it is going to end in heartache.
Does anyone really think that this england team is any better prepared for Aus than India were 6 months ago,in India,on spinning wickets when Aust were missing one of the worlds leading batsman and captain Ricky Ponting for the series and still australia comanded the tests...good luck to england but expect heartaceh in the end....
prediction 4/0 aus way :D :p :p :p :p :p :p

BARMY_LAD

Cricket Spectator
Neil Pickup said:
When you make outlandish claims like you do, you have to justify them or else you look daft (go and look at any India or Pakistan related thread.

Whilst England have their best chance of winning the Ashes since 1987, to use the word "will" is simplistic and, let's be honest, totally ignorant.
What is wrong with a little arrogence once in a while? I am prepared to make these "outlandish" statements and open myself up to criticism, but if we pull it off (like I am confident we will) then my point will be a valid one, without confidence what do we have?

Regardless to say, it is all healthy debate and there's nothing wrong with a bit of banter in the lead-up to the upcoming series.

BRING ON THE AUSSIES!

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
jlo33692 said:
It wont happen ,the best i think that the english can hope for is to draw a couple of test .
As an Aus supporter you must remeber for 20 years now we have been comming up against the new next thing on world cricket only to sit back and watchthe likes of s/africa lose 5/0 on home soil when they were 2nd place on test and very similar to the optimism that is comming from england . Then it was windies,then it was ***** then it was india.
Now if you are being honest about the current england team there seems to be holes everywhere that Australia will and thrive on expoiting. No spinners of any world class note. 1 maybe 2 class batsman no bowling attack of anything better than what they have faced from say shaun pollock and co,wasim and shoab,the windies bowling machines,india spin friendly wickets nulling australias fast bowlers,dito sri lanka,,,so while not wanting to sound arrogant you must realise every time we come up against someone that think they have a chance it only ends in dissapointment as the test are over in 3 days 4 days if the other mob put up some resistance. Read all the other threads from other tours and ypou will see exactly the same optimism that is shown here and while i admire all the talk and support for the english i am afraid it is going to end in heartache.
Does anyone really think that this england team is any better prepared for Aus than India were 6 months ago,in India,on spinning wickets when Aust were missing one of the worlds leading batsman and captain Ricky Ponting for the series and still australia comanded the tests...good luck to england but expect heartaceh in the end....

They lost 2-1 on home soil twice (SA won the 3rd Test dead rubber both times).

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
jlo33692 said:
So when was the last time you managed to go through an Ashes series without losing a Test?