• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in England T20s and ODIs

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Athers needs a new adjective for medium pacers. Both Bopara & Wright "bustling".

But Ravi's done the trick; bit of a brain fade from Cam tbh. Was going well playing properly and tries to run one down to third man but only edges it.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Ravi has a 'golden arm' according to Nasser. That's why in over 60 international games for England he has taken less than eight wickets.

Hussain use to say the same thing about Collingwood in test cricket, the partnership breaker I think he was called. Yet, he had **** all wickets.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
LOL @ Bopara getting one. :)

And why no Rashid today?
Horses for courses explanation
As in our seam attack running through the Aus top order this morning?
I do think it is a reasonable move. As a low scoring track, the extra batsman would be advisable and I don't think anyone could argue that even an inform Rashid is better than Morgan with the bat. Moreover, in what will likely be a 250 contest, a leg spinner who can always potentially go for runs, regardless of quality (until you get up to Warne standard) is always a big risk.

That, in addition to the obvious horses for courses explanation, which does bare some vague credence.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Just trying to think how England will **** this chase up. Unless Australia add another 120, your winning the game.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Perhaps Hopes really ought to be opening for the Aussies. I was looking at Paine's stats and his ListA strike rate is 66. At the moment, Watson is alledgedly the guy they want to go on and make a big score, and the guy that has to keep the run rate up at the same time. Hopes up there might just get the runs coming along a bit easier.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Just trying to think how England will **** this chase up.
Australia's attack is pretty damn strong, tbf. The fifth bowler slot may be a bit weak, but Johnson and Lee both have strong ODI records and the capability to rip sides apart whereas Bracken is the top man for cashing in on the fall of early wickets by going for **** all runs per over. Hauritz is massively underrated in ODI cricket too; although a strong player of spin may be able to improvise against him, his accuracy makes him economical against the large majority of batsmen.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Perhaps Hopes really ought to be opening for the Aussies. I was looking at Paine's stats and his ListA strike rate is 66. At the moment, Watson is alledgedly the guy they want to go on and make a big score, and the guy that has to keep the run rate up at the same time. Hopes up there might just get the runs coming along a bit easier.
Indeed. It is weird how Australia try makeshift openers like Watson and Paine (though Watson has worked, I know) where they have a state opener in Hopes down the order.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
If you are going for a slogger at the top of the order, you might as get Warner back.

Hopes at the best of times looks positively clueless. Funny watching him play spin, just blocks or slogs.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
If you are going for a slogger at the top of the order, you might as get Warner back.
I do think Warner is a valuable asset and someone who should not be so easily discarded after six poor innings. I know that is an awful round of form and he was rightly dropped, but he should be kept in and around the squads. An aggressive opener is valuable, especially when a defensive start, such as the one today, has shown to not help the team at all.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Australia's attack is pretty damn strong, tbf. The fifth bowler slot may be a bit weak, but Johnson and Lee both have strong ODI records and the capability to rip sides apart whereas Bracken is the top man for cashing in on the fall of early wickets by going for **** all runs per over. Hauritz is massively underrated in ODI cricket too; although a strong player of spin may be able to improvise against him, his accuracy makes him economical against the large majority of batsmen.
Bracken has been carried for the past twelve months. He hasn't been taking wickets or being economical (cue wrath...).

And Hopes is Hopes.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year

Hopes at the best of times looks positively clueless. Funny watching him play spin, just blocks or slogs.
Yeah, I dunno. I just don't think Paine and Watson looks a very good combination.