• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in Bangladesh

Western Warrior

School Boy/Girl Captain
Michael Clarke (c) NSW 29-years-old
Shane Watson (vc) QLD 29-years-old
Xavier Doherty TAS 28-years-old
Callum Ferguson SA 26-years-old
Brad Haddin NSW 33-years-old
John Hastings NSW 25-years-old
Mike Hussey WA 35-years-old
Mitchell Johnson QLD 29-years-old
Brett Lee NSW 34-years-old
Tim Paine TAS 26-years-old
James Pattinson VIC 20-years-old
Ricky Ponting TAS 36-years-old
Steve Smith NSW 21-years-old
Cameron White VIC 27-years-old
It's a struggle to find a sound rationale behind these selections. Cameron White was no where near his best at the World Cup so obviously they are not using current form as a selection yard-stick.

Maybe they are hoping that Bangladesh is a 'soft' opponent and will allow some of these lads to bat/bowl themselves back into form.

Spark

Global Moderator
The concern for me is that if they hold on to White too long and he doesn't pick up it could actually, paradoxically, seriously damage his chances of future appearances as they just won't rate him - "we gave you an extra long go, but..." - when they would be better off letting him pick up some form away from the spotlight.

Western Warrior

School Boy/Girl Captain
The concern for me is that if they hold on to White too long and he doesn't pick up it could actually, paradoxically, seriously damage his chances of future appearances as they just won't rate him - "we gave you an extra long go, but..." - when they would be better off letting him pick up some form away from the spotlight.
To paraphrase the Simpsons I see White as "the answer to a question that was never asked".

His form in the WC was woeful. The spinners had him figured out and I agree with Dean Jones critique that he needs immediate and sustained work on his technique.

Selectors axe poised over out of form Whites head

As a T20 player he has proven potential but his technique despite a brief purple patch simply isn't robust enough in ODI and Test matches at this time.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
I've always worried about his technique as well - especially against any sort of movement either way. Gets squared up on the back foot (when he should be on the front) very, very easily.

I still think that long-term he's good enough to play ODIs but he needs to work on his game a lot. For starters he needs to improve his strike rotation.

Western Warrior

School Boy/Girl Captain
I wonder if his issue with strike rotation is due to the fact that he is not aware of it, or because he cannot get bat on ball.

One of the first times I saw him is when he gave Shane Bond a good touch up. 23 off one over. He was a slugger but still exciting to watch. Could he be the same as a young Andrew Symonds? Too keen to entertain and go for the big shots as opposed to developing a technique which is more suited to a more calm, extended stay at the crease.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Simply a batsman who is badly out of form.

He has always been limited in his ability to turn the strike over. During his successful periods this was more than compensated by his ability to hit the ball hard through and over the in-field.

To ask him to find form and confidence during a tense England ODI series and the World Cup was a tall ask, and it failed. Time away from the international game and he will return as a dominant ODI player again.

Howe_zat

Audio File
If they're just going to leave the World Cup squad out there (besides Tait), why have the only change as Doherty for Krezja? Seems a very strange one to pick out as your only specific selection.

Spark

Global Moderator
I think the reasoning there was that Doherty was always above the pecking order anyway but injury meant they couldn't pick him for the WC. It's not like Krezja has done anything of note to change that pecking order.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Have to say that if I was an Australian fan I'd be pleased they've picked that squad and not gone for wholesale changes bringing in 8 or 9 new players - shows they're taking the series seriously.

Western Warrior

School Boy/Girl Captain
Have to say that if I was an Australian fan I'd be pleased they've picked that squad and not gone for wholesale changes bringing in 8 or 9 new players - shows they're taking the series seriously.
I know that after the Ashes everyone was banging the "Youth" and "lets experiment" drum but ultimately the role of the selectors is to pick the best 11 available irrespective of age etc.

I'm not a 100% sure they've done this (eg White) for the Bangladesh tour but it looks like they are trying.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I know people will point to their one day records and say that they dont deserve selection on that basis alone but I would have liked to have seen young guys like Usman, Copeland etc picked for experience

Plenty of players have benefitted from being eased into the international game via odis and this tour has the added advantage of being in the subcontinent which would've been good experience for the SL tour later in the year

The other problem I have is that the team is starting to look like an old boys club

Someone needs to tell the selectors that we have just been eliminated in the qfs of the WC and that is unacceptable

pup11

International Coach
The real problem for me with White isn't his lack of his form but the way he is dealing with it, White has always been talked up as a bloke with a good cricket brain but off-late I really haven't seen anything to suggest that.

He has always been a street smart cricketer who has used his strength smartly, but as soon as the runs stopped coming he has virtually started hacking at every ball rather than trying to work his way back into form and that is something that has been very disappointing to see.

Anyways the squad for Bangladesh is largely disappointing, we pretty much are sending the same squad we sent to the worldcup and personally I really don't see the point.

Despite the fact that these are just ODI's but still sending in blokes like Finch, Hughes and O'Keffe would have given us a fair idea how they would perform in slow and low conditions in Bangladesh.

Since our next tour is Sri Lanka it would have been handy to see how well equipped the next gen players are to handle these conditions, we would have achieved a lot more that way rather than by sending a full-strength squad for a meaningless 3 game ODI series.

Spark

Global Moderator
It's a stupidly tough ask to be trying to work your way back into form in the middle of a spasmodic WC though.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's a stupidly tough ask to be trying to work your way back into form in the middle of a spasmodic WC though.
Should've left him out when the writing was on the wall or given him a chance to regain form by slotting him in up the order against a minnow

iamdavid

International Debutant
Anyways the squad for Bangladesh is largely disappointing, we pretty much are sending the same squad we sent to the worldcup and personally I really don't see the point.
I disagree, their job is to pick the best available team, losing two ODIs on the subcontinent can't really be expected to drastically alter their views on the composition of their best side. I don't buy into all the 'old boys club' bs, changes are only merited where they will improve the side. Picking Copeland will not improve the side...Picking Brad Hodge would, but that horse has well and truly bolted :ph34r:

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
I disagree, their job is to pick the best available team, losing two ODIs on the subcontinent can't really be expected to drastically alter their views on the composition of their best side. I don't buy into all the 'old boys club' bs, changes are only merited where they will improve the side. Picking Copeland will not improve the side...Picking Brad Hodge would, but that horse has well and truly bolted :ph34r:
Copeland is a first class bowler, he isn't such great shakes at one dayers.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bangladesh Squad announced:

Tamim Iqbal
Imrul Kayes
Shahriar Nafees
Raqibul Hasan
Shakib Al Hasan
Mushfiqur Rahim
Alok Kapali
Mashrafe Bin Mortaza
Shuvagoto hom,
Mahmudullah Riad
Abdur Razzak
Shafiul Islam
Rubel hossain
Suhrawadi Shuvo

Shuvagoto Hom to debut. Good to see him there.
Been a while since seeing Alok Kapali there.