• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in Bangladesh

pup11

International Coach
I want Ponting to continue to play Test Cricket, but feel that the QF against India is the right time for him to retire from ODIs.

My squad for Bangladesh..

1 Shane Watson
2 Tim Paine
3 Aaron Finch
4 Michael Clarke c
5 Callum Ferguson
6 David Hussey
7 Steve Smith
8 Steve O'Keefe
9 John Hastings
10 James Pattinson
11 Brett Lee

12 Matthew Wade
13 James Faulkner
I seriously don't get it, why Tim Paine..!?
The guy has an average of 30 odd and a pre-historic SR of 60 odd while opening the batting for Australia, don't know what all this fuss is about him.

Anyways now that we have been knocked out of the worldcup its really time to weigh up our options and this series is a very nice opportunity to do that.

We all know what blokes like Lee and Watson are capable of so there is no point sending them over for such a meaningless tour, but at the same time we can use this series to test the depth of our resources and see exactly where the next generation of Australian cricketers stand atm.

Also I'm pretty sure most teams send a squad of 14 on tours so you can add another name to the list.

Spark

Global Moderator
Anyways now that we have been knocked out of the worldcup its really time to weigh up our options and this series is a very nice opportunity to do that.
That would be why.

No use resting Lee and Watson only to have them **** around in IPL.

pup11

International Coach
That would be why.

No use resting Lee and Watson only to have them **** around in IPL.
Though the thing with Paine is that he is pretty much a proven failure at the top of the order, therefore it would be better if look at our other options.

For starters I would like to see Hughes in the mix for LO cricket because he is going to be one of our star players in years to come and the more international game-time he the better it would be for him.

Also I don't understand what's really the problem with Lee or Watson playing in the IPL, this series should be about giving young talent some exposure rather than anything else.

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't know about proven failure, he does have an ODI ton. He's way too slow as it stands but he's not incapable of scoring quicker.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
The guy has an average of 30 odd and a pre-historic SR of 60 odd while opening the batting for Australia, don't know what all this fuss is about him.

We all know what blokes like Lee and Watson are capable of so there is no point sending them over for such a meaningless tour, but at the same time we can use this series to test the depth of our resources and see exactly where the next generation of Australian cricketers stand atm.

Also I'm pretty sure most teams send a squad of 14 on tours so you can add another name to the list.
You don't have to be Napoleon Einstein to work out that his place is the biggest question mark in my squad with another keeper in Matthew Wade listed as the 12th name. I feel as though Paine, Hastings, Ferguson all deserve an opportunity after going to the World Cup and not getting a chance to play a match.

I went for 13 names and feel that would be enough considering we have just played 7 matches with just 12 players! If Pattinson is injured, I would love to give James Faulkner an opportunity. I think he can perform a similar role to the one that Nathan Bracken did so successfully for Australia and his batting is definitely handy also.

Regarding Lee and Watson, well we want to actually have players for the young guys to learn from and we would like to win. So the best batsman and best bowler get picked in my team.

If I have to name another player I guess it would be Mitchell Johnson.

Last edited:

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Well you can put it down to lack of work ethics or desire to learn, because if you can bowl well in the longer format of the game then there is no reason why you can't do that in the LO formats as well.
Dwta.

pup11

International Coach
You don't have to be Napoleon Einstein to work out that his place is the biggest question mark in my squad with another keeper in Matthew Wade listed as the 12th name. I feel as though Paine, Hastings, Ferguson all deserve an opportunity after going to the World Cup and not getting a chance to play a match.

I went for 13 names and feel that would be enough considering we have just played 7 matches with just 12 players! If Pattinson is injured, I would love to give James Faulkner an opportunity. I think he can perform a similar role to the one that Nathan Bracken did so successfully for Australia and his batting is definitely handy also.

Regarding Lee and Watson, well we want to actually have players for the young guys to learn from and we would like to win. So the best batsman and best bowler get picked in my team.

If I have to name another player I guess it would be Mitchell Johnson.
Mate... but hasn't Paine got enough opportunities already, he has played 25 ODI's in all of which he has opened the batting yet his average is 30 and his SR is 68.

Now that's just not acceptable for a modern day opening batsman and its not like his List-A stats are any better either,so to put it in a nut-shell I think Paine is hugely over-rated.

Wade not only is a much better batsman but he unlike Paine has shown the flexibility to bat pretty much anywhere for the Vics, so for me Wade should be second in command to Haddin in pretty much all formats of the game.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mate... but hasn't Paine got enough opportunities already, he has played 25 ODI's in all of which he has opened the batting yet his average is 30 and his SR is 68.

Now that's just not acceptable for a modern day opening batsman and its not like his List-A stats are any better either,so to put it in a nut-shell I think Paine is hugely over-rated.

Wade not only is a much better batsman but he unlike Paine has shown the flexibility to bat pretty much anywhere for the Vics, so for me Wade should be second in command to Haddin in pretty much all formats of the game.
Mate, unless the selection panel is changed, Paine's our man

What's more, given that the Oz selectors believe any wk needs to be a Gilchrist, he'll open in the odis

pup11

International Coach
Was reading through stuff Ponting said after touching down in Australia, one thing that he made very clear was he wanted a full strength squad to be sent to Bangladesh.

Not sure that's really a good idea, in the last four years the biggest problem with Australian cricket has been short-sighted approach that the selectors have taken rather than looking to make long-term investments in terms of players we have picked.

We need to groom young players for international duty so that there could be a large pool of players to pick from, at present there is hardly any real competition for spots which has made some of the established players take their place in the team for granted.

Spark

Global Moderator
Don't know how much to read into that than other than given that Ponting is invariably the first to be rested - even more so than Watson or Johnson - a less than full strength squad means he does go. And he wants to go.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Was reading through stuff Ponting said after touching down in Australia, one thing that he made very clear was he wanted a full strength squad to be sent to Bangladesh.

Not sure that's really a good idea, in the last four years the biggest problem with Australian cricket has been short-sighted approach that the selectors have taken rather than looking to make long-term investments in terms of players we have picked.

We need to groom young players for international duty so that there could be a large pool of players to pick from, at present there is hardly any real competition for spots which has made some of the established players take their place in the team for granted.
Simply binning all your experienced players and throwing in a bunch of kids won't achieve that. Youngsters need experienced players to learn from.

M0rphin3

International Debutant
Bangladesh Squad announced:

Tamim Iqbal
Imrul Kayes
Shahriar Nafees
Raqibul Hasan
Shakib Al Hasan
Mushfiqur Rahim
Alok Kapali
Mashrafe Bin Mortaza
Shuvagoto hom,
Mahmudullah Riad
Abdur Razzak
Shafiul Islam
Rubel hossain
Suhrawadi Shuvo

Shuvagoto Hom to debut. Good to see him there.

Last edited:

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just checked out that Shuvgato Hom bloke, jeez. Doesn't seem much cop in OD cricket but he's averaging over 60 in FC. Late bloomer or something? 24 and only made his debut last year.

Also... Alok Kapali!

M0rphin3

International Debutant
Just checked out that Shuvgato Hom bloke, jeez. Doesn't seem much cop in OD cricket but he's averaging over 60 in FC. Late bloomer or something? 24 and only made his debut last year.

Also... Alok Kapali!
He's probably their only guy to average 50+ (or anywhere close to 50) in FC.

pup11

International Coach
Simply binning all your experienced players and throwing in a bunch of kids won't achieve that. Youngsters need experienced players to learn from.
Its just a three match series and after that we play absolutely no cricket for close to 4 months and therefore its a perfect scenario to send a group of young blokes and see how they go in these conditions.

Not saying we should just forget about our experienced players but this series could give us a chance to have a look at our other options.

ajdude

International Coach
Glad to see Shuvagoto Hom in the squad, I was peeking around the Bangladesh Domestic scene last week and saw he made a ton and then saw his stats, gun as haha.

outbreak

First Class Debutant
I know Hom from ICC2010. Was my star player in my Bangladesh save and i'd wondered why Bangladesh hadn't had a look at him this year as his starting stats in FC were well above most others.