• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Afro-Asian Cup

Craig

World Traveller
Samuel_Vimes said:
There's only ODIs - but yes, they have been given ODI status.
Then why didn't they give the New Zealand v World XI earlier this year? Why? Because it would have been a farce and wrong and makes a mockery of ODI cricket and so does this. The only one that justified it was the ROW XI v Asia XI to raise money for the tsnumai victims IMO and the quality of cricket and players that took part (in some cases such short notice) reinforced this.

jani

Cricket Spectator
i dont think so any indian player is going to make difference in afro asian team it is good they took their names by themselves and other thing is that there is only one player who deserve to be in a team it is dravid since inzmam is in team it does not matter dravid is playing or not because inzmam is far better than him and for pathan i have one opinion for him is that you are not going to be former pakistani great wasim akram u may saw a dreams but it is not going to be happen in hell taking 3 wickets for 40 runs in a odi is not which wasim did in his carred u man desreve to be in indian a team if u bean in pakistan im sure u deserve to be in pakistans d team oi dont think so he is good enough he is world most expansive bowler for me

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Craig said:
Then why didn't they give the New Zealand v World XI earlier this year? Why? Because it would have been a farce and wrong and makes a mockery of ODI cricket and so does this. The only one that justified it was the ROW XI v Asia XI to raise money for the tsnumai victims IMO and the quality of cricket and players that took part (in some cases such short notice) reinforced this.
Wasn't that more a FICA side though Craig - the likes of Nick Knight IIRC?

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
jani said:
i dont think so any indian player is going to make difference in afro asian team it is good they took their names by themselves and other thing is that there is only one player who deserve to be in a team it is dravid since inzmam is in team it does not matter dravid is playing or not because inzmam is far better than him and for pathan i have one opinion for him is that you are not going to be former pakistani great wasim akram u may saw a dreams but it is not going to be happen in hell taking 3 wickets for 40 runs in a odi is not which wasim did in his carred u man desreve to be in indian a team if u bean in pakistan im sure u deserve to be in pakistans d team oi dont think so he is good enough he is world most expansive bowler for me
Take a breath! :)

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Hmm, just realised this is starting in a couple of hours. The African XI is predictably just a South African XI, don't really know what the point of it is really.

Africa XI team:
*SM Pollock, HH Dippenaar, AB de Villiers, JH Kallis, AG Prince,
JM Kemp, +MV Boucher, M Zondeki, JA Rudolph, N Boje, JL Ontong.

Asian XI team:
*Inzamam-ul-Haq, V Sehwag, +KC Sangakkara, Yousuf Youhana,
Shahid Afridi, Abdul Razzaq, M Muralitharan, Mashrafe Mortaza,
Mohammad Ashraful, A Kumble, Shoaib Akhtar.

Hopefully the Bangladeshi players can match it with the rest of them.

Craig

World Traveller
marc71178 said:
Wasn't that more a FICA side though Craig - the likes of Nick Knight IIRC?
Yes it was Marc - and wouldn't it have been farcial that had it been given ODI status (bet Murali didn't though ;) )

Langeveldt

Soutie
Less cared about than Zimbabwe v NZ? Definitely.. I would find it hilarious if this "big brother" cricket wasn't being staged at my version of Mecca.. Stop tarnishing the game for a change... I bet it was freezing, and they even painted the grass green!

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
well cricket seems to be getting very exciting of late, followi up the last 2 ashes test with this lovely :D , pitty to those who said cricket was a boring sport :p . Anyway this series still is a waste of time, i would rather to see a Rest of the World vs Asia series:

R.O.W
Gayle
Gilchrist
Ponting
Lara
Kallis
Flintoff
Cairns
Pollock
Warne
Lee
McGrath

Asia:
Sehwag
Tendulkar
Jayasuriya
Dravid
Inzi
Sangakkara
Razzaq
Vaas
Naved or Kumble
Akhtar
Murali

Now a series like that would more capture the public's attention

shaka

International Regular
From when Africa / SA were 60/5 I thought the game was gone, then I woke up this morning to find out they won, wow.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
A very exciting game. Africa batted first and made only 198, Shoaib and Zaheer doing a lot of early damage and Murali and Kumble bowled tight spells. In reply, after a good start of 52/0 from Sehwag and Sangakkara, Asia were rocked by a superb over from Shaun Pollock where he picked up 3 wickets. Soon Asia were 6 down for not plenty and it was left to Razzaq and Kumble to mount a rearguard partnership. Soon, they were dismissed too but Zaheer played carefully to take the score very close to the target. With 12 required from 18 balls, Shoaib hit a six. And got out the next ball. Now it really went down to the wire. 6 off 16 with 1 wicket in hand. Nehra got a single. Zaheer got a 2. Then Nehra was cleaned up in the next over by a good ball from Steyn.

I thought the series was pointless, but it seems the proceeds (70% of it) goes to the development of cricket in Africa. And I have never had a problem with the international status to these games. If the best players in the world are playing, I have no problems with any game being given International status. At least, it gets them to play the game seriously. The reactions of both sides showed how serious they were about these games. The Africans were over the moon and the Asians were shell shocked. Bodes well for the next two games. And with this being an annual affair, I think it will rise in popularity, slowly but surely.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
honestbharani said:
Nehra got a single. Zaheer got a 2. Then Nehra was cleaned up in the next over by a good ball from Steyn.
It wasn't a good ball, it was just on the stumps and all Nehra needed to do was to play straight. It is a problem with Indian/Pakistani tail, they always want to hit the fours.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Sanz said:
It wasn't a good ball, it was just on the stumps and all Nehra needed to do was to play straight. It is a problem with Indian/Pakistani tail, they always want to hit the fours.
lol. I meant it was a good ball with respect to Nehra, who can't play them when they are straight and reasonably quick.