• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Afro-Asian Cup

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Arjun said:
ZEE TV- That's a cable network running for a long time in India and South Asia. Their flagship channel, ZEE TV, is a leading entertainment channel here. Their sports channel is a new development and these matches are shown jointly on ZEE Sports and ZEE TV.
Yes, it gets carried into the UK on one of Sky's satellites. I sort-of hoped that such a nonsense tournament might be free-to-air, but no such luck.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Early use of the Supersub, unless I'm mistaken. Ashraful named in the Asian line-up, replaced after just 10 overs by Ashish Nehra

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nnanden said:
Correct EU.
Can someone confirm that Cricinfo got it wrong and that Nehra did not bowl the 11th over?

There seems to be a little confution - the over containing the run-out has gone against Shoaib's figures yet the Ball-by-Ball talks about Nehra bowling the over

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Dasa said:
Zaheer bringing up his 150th ODI wicket seems to have gone unnoticed.
Not by the Cricket Web hack, it hasn't....

It was no surprise when Khan bagged his first wicket of the match and the 150th of his international career as Dippenaar (7) edged to Mahela Jayawardene in the slips to leave Africa in a fair bit of trouble at 16-2.
(can someone confirm it was Jayawardene? He's not even named in the starting Xi I've got)

shaka

International Regular
10.5 Nehra to Kallis, no run, on the off , pushed on the off side ,
Kallis goes for the run , Rudolph must be quick , could be a
runout

Africa XI 26/3, Partnership of 10
JA Rudolph run out (Abdul Razzaq) 7 (18b 1x4 0x6)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
shaka said:
10.5 Nehra to Kallis, no run, on the off , pushed on the off side ,
Kallis goes for the run , Rudolph must be quick , could be a
runout

Africa XI 26/3, Partnership of 10
JA Rudolph run out (Abdul Razzaq) 7 (18b 1x4 0x6)
I KNOW it says that, and I mentioned it in the write-up at the time. However, two overs later, Nehra's bowling figures of 0-5 had been credited to Shoaib, and the Pakistani speedster was bowling again from that end, and Nehra's analysis read 0-0-0-0.

Two overs later still, we get...

Bowling change from the Old Fort Rd End and the supersub Nehra
coming on
14.1 Nehra to Taibu, no run, outside off , lefta lone
which is why I wanted to know if anyone's watching the game on Zee-TV

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Zaheer's running hot here....let's just hope he converts this one. He's just got the blacksmith out.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
shaka said:
Nehra was subbed on @ 10 overs. Is that what you wanted?
I wanted to know whether he actually bowled over number 11 (the one with Rudolph's run-out) - Cricinfo is giving out conflicting information (the commentary says yes, the bowling figures say no). It's not really important.

Deja moo

International Captain
Didnt watch the first few overs. But he definitely must have been subbed in within the first 15 overs, if he wasnt in the playing 11 already, since he was bowling first change.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Deja moo said:
Didnt watch the first few overs. But he definitely must have been subbed in within the first 15 overs, if he wasnt in the playing 11 already, since he was bowling first change.
All I want to know is when he bowled his first over - was it the 11th or the 15th.

I've emailed Cricinfo (they need to sort their own records out too) so hopefully someone there will get back to me

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sanz said:
It was him, I was watching the game.
Thanks.

Incidentally, re the previous queries regarding when Nehra came on and when he actually commenced bowling, Robin Abrahams of Cricinfo emailed me to point out that it confused the hell out of everyone - he even had the ball thrown to him and the B-b-B commentator assumed he was going to bowl there and then.

If you're reading this, Robin, thanks for the info (I know one or two of you guys look in sometimes).

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
well i dont think this series was such a bad idea afterall since next years tournament in India will have all the Africa & Asian stars & should be exciting, so methinks this tournament should live on........

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
aussie said:
well i dont think this series was such a bad idea afterall since next years tournament in India will have all the Africa & Asian stars & should be exciting, so methinks this tournament should live on........
No, it won't. There's bound to be another spate of 'injuries' for starters.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
aussie said:
The utter stupidity of the tournament was to schedule it in the off-season - basically in the winter - the equivalent of playing it in England in February. The spectators voted with their feet, and the only people who made anything out of the tournament were Dulux who got to paint the grass.

Knowing the ICC, they'll schedule next year's event for Mumbai in the middle of the monsoon season.