• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Afghanistan in Kenya 2010

Ur support goes to?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

laksh_01

State Vice-Captain
Not likely. hardly much interest in the press and the guys I found at the match seem to the same old folk who watch pretty much all the games played there. Nevermind the nations attentions right now are on the Commonwealth Games.
How do u think the interest will be for Kenya's 2011 WC campaign?

laksh_01

State Vice-Captain
How many of u feel that ICC takes decisions too early in terms of everything?

Even the World cup qualifying slots are decided 2 years in advance, which i strongly disagree (Though it would have made sense for the qualified teams to prepare if they had regular matches against Test nations but without matches i disagree of qualifying 2 years in advance). For example - Afghanistan & Scotland who missed out of qualifying last year are way much stronger now at the point of WC than Kenya & Canada who qualified.If u ask me I would have chosen to conduct the Qualifiers 6-8 months ahead of the WC not 2 years or chosen the top 4 from WCL div 1.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
How many of u feel that ICC takes decisions too early in terms of everything?

Even the World cup qualifying slots are decided 2 years in advance, which i strongly disagree (Though it would have made sense for the qualified teams to prepare if they had regular matches against Test nations but without matches i disagree of qualifying 2 years in advance). For example - Afghanistan & Scotland who missed out of qualifying last year are way much stronger now at the point of WC than Kenya & Canada who qualified.If u ask me I would have chosen to conduct the Qualifiers 6-8 months ahead of the WC not 2 years or chosen the top 4 from WCL div 1.
Yeah, AWTA.

turnstyle

State 12th Man
How do u think the interest will be for Kenya's 2011 WC campaign?
Laksh_01 -

Sorry buddy, but interest in cricket outside the major 10 nations is so very limited with the exception of the countries active players + families. Out of all the Associates particularly in Europe where I’m based, i thought at least the average Dutchman would have some slight interest in the Sport. Nope. None! My mates have heard of the game but had no idea they had a national team, let alone one that beat England in 2009. It's a 'colonial' game. Surely not! Then on a totally separate note, i was watching the news today about the Liverpool take over. They voxed some of the Boston Red Sox fans about it and most of them don't even rate football as a sport, saying they'd never watch it. Football?? No way! Everyone loves footbal. So cricket has a little more than just an uphill struggle.

The exception i guess is Scotland and Northern Ireland, but that's only because of their close proximity to England. I went to the Ireland v England match last year and was pleasantly surprised by the sizable and knowledgeable local crowd. Even the guy at the hostel i stayed at knew there was a game going on and about the exploits of the 07 World Cup.

But from what I’ve heard, it's quite limited to the north. I asked my ROI based media friends about it a while back. We all work in media and he made an interesting remark about how they all had to quickly learn some facts about cricket during the '07 World Cup because it kick started quite a bit of interest.

So there is hope. The 2007 World Cup proved that in Ireland. Afghanistan are gaining quite a fanbase, and it doesn't look like it's limited to expats. The key really is the 50 over World Cup. It's what most people remember. Everyone still can recall Kenya beating the West Indies 14 years ago! Does anyone remember who won the ICC trophy in 1993?

Last edited:

alvarez

First Class Debutant
Much better start from the Kenyans today. 45/0 after 13. Hope to see one of them go right on with it today.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Afg is 57/7. Wtf?
It's not completely surprising, the Afghans are all largely inexperienced and are playing against the likes of Tikolo and Odoyo who have individually played more ODI matches then the entire Afghanistan team.

Trendsetta

Cricket Spectator
Congrats Kenya, though i have never seen such a collapse, when we were cruising at 139/2. Lets finish them off 3-0 and shame the doubters.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Laksh_01 -

Sorry buddy, but interest in cricket outside the major 10 nations is so very limited with the exception of the countries active players + families. Out of all the Associates particularly in Europe where I’m based, i thought at least the average Dutchman would have some slight interest in the Sport. Nope. None! My mates have heard of the game but had no idea they had a national team, let alone one that beat England in 2009. It's a 'colonial' game. Surely not! Then on a totally separate note, i was watching the news today about the Liverpool take over. They voxed some of the Boston Red Sox fans about it and most of them don't even rate football as a sport, saying they'd never watch it. Football?? No way! Everyone loves footbal. So cricket has a little more than just an uphill struggle.

The exception i guess is Scotland and Northern Ireland, but that's only because of their close proximity to England. I went to the Ireland v England match last year and was pleasantly surprised by the sizable and knowledgeable local crowd. Even the guy at the hostel i stayed at knew there was a game going on and about the exploits of the 07 World Cup.

But from what I’ve heard, it's quite limited to the north. I asked my ROI based media friends about it a while back. We all work in media and he made an interesting remark about how they all had to quickly learn some facts about cricket during the '07 World Cup because it kick started quite a bit of interest.

So there is hope. The 2007 World Cup proved that in Ireland. Afghanistan are gaining quite a fanbase, and it doesn't look like it's limited to expats. The key really is the 50 over World Cup. It's what most people remember. Everyone still can recall Kenya beating the West Indies 14 years ago! Does anyone remember who won the ICC trophy in 1993?
Yeah I've heard cricket is becoming really popular there

alvarez

First Class Debutant
Kenya batting first in the 2nd ODI, and Tanmay Mishra returns to international cricket. A huge boost for Kenyas batting lineup.