• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 5th Test at Old Trafford, Manchester - 10th-14th of September

centurymaker

International Captain
ECB and some sections of English media can argue however much they want, but given the ICC clause for covid situations, it'll certainly NOT be considered a forfeit.

There had been 4 cases of covid in the indian contingent and last one was a very close contact to several of the players in the days leading to the test as he was the only physio available.

So even if ECB want to twist this whole thing as 'a fear of covid outbreak', it definitely falls under the umbrella of the ICC clause for covid in WTC.

So this series has certainly finished 2-1.

(Any possible test next year will be a stand alone test anyway).

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
The elephant in the room is that it can take 40 mins for the results of a rona test. When did this news story generate - I heard rumblings on it yesterday?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
ECB and some sections of English media can argue however much they want, but given the ICC clause for covid situations, it'll certainly NOT be considered a forfeit.

There had been 4 cases of covid in the indian contingent and last one was a very close contact to several of the players in the days leading to the test as he was the only physio available.

So even if ECB want to twist this whole thing as 'a fear of covid outbreak', it definitely falls under the umbrella of the ICC clause for covid in WTC.

So this series has certainly finished 2-1.

(Any possible test next year will be a stand alone test anyway).
It doesn’t meet the criteria for a covid cancellation.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wait, are there people genuinely saying this constitutes a forfeit by India here?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Wait, are there people genuinely saying this constitutes a forfeit by India here?
The initial ECB statement said it was forfeit but that’s since been revised.
But from everything I’ve read today it doesn’t meet the covid cancellation criteria so who knows what they do.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If that Telegraph piece posted this morning is accurate then personally it looks like a forfeit to me. I’m not bothered about it from a scoreline POV per se, but if players refuse to play then what else do you call it?

Reactions: FBU

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
well i can understand if england feels that's the only way they can at least draw a series against us...the attempt itself is of course despicable but desperation makes some people do all kinds of dickish things...
I don’t think they care that much about the scoreline, they need it to be a forfeit for insurance purposes - roughly GBP30m which is no small amount to be scoffed at.

I do think they are entitled to demand that on the basis that it was the Indian players who didn’t want to play (understandably so) a match that theoretically could have gone ahead.

Their position is weakened by (a) their own board pulling out the SA series though and (b) the covid concerns being quite legitimate.

India’s position is weakened by them continuing on in SL despite half the team going down.

Don’t think either side is definitively wrong tbh. It’s just a **** situation that the ICC will now have to adjudicate on.

Chrish

International Debutant
On a positive note, the game that probably would have washed out might be fully played next year and we will get the final series result.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
On a positive note, the game that probably would have washed out might be fully played next year and we will get the final series result.
That's like consummating a marriage an year after the fact. This series is done and hosed. I hope the rescheduled Test next year does not contribute to this series' scoreline and whatever impact it would've had on the WTC. 4 Tests each in India and England this year has a nice symmetry to it anyway.

Chrish

International Debutant
4 Tests each in India and England this year has a nice symmetry to it anyway.
Would you have said the same thing if result was 2-1 in favor of England? I sort of doubt it.

Series might be done and dusted but game next year will still count toward current series in spirit especially when series could have easily gone ahead (players tested negative) and Indian players were the ones who refused to play.

If India plays next year and looses then series will be tied as far as I am concerned. Will it be same as continuing current series? Of course not. You don’t have same players; same momentum etc. But this is the best that can be made of the situation.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Would you have said the same thing if result was 2-1 in favor of England? I sort of doubt it.

Series might be done and dusted but game next year will still count toward current series in spirit especially when series could have easily gone ahead (players tested negative) and Indian players were the ones who refused to play.

If India plays next year and looses then series will be tied as far as I am concerned. Will it be same as continuing current series? Of course not. You don’t have same players; same momentum etc. But this is the best that can be made of the situation.
Ffs there's this thing called an incubation period

Stop advertising your ignorance

vandem

International 12th Man
... Series might be done and dusted but game next year will still count toward current series in spirit especially when series could have easily gone ahead (players tested negative) and Indian players were the ones who refused to play....
Did you say the same thing when England came home early from the ODI tour of South Africa?