• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 5th Test at Old Trafford, Manchester - 10th-14th of September

cnerd123

likes this
**** me if Jarvo invades the field again I hope he gets a bat to the skull

Also it's only fitting this series end with a 2-2 result. India have never won here, England will have their tails up, and we seem to keep following historical wins with bad losses. Gotta hope for some classic English weather and a washed out game if we're gonna win this series.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As an Englishman (despite many decades living in Australia) I don;t believe England deserve to tie the series. India deserves to win the series.
I think this is a pretty fair comment tbh, but for some reason I think they will level the series here. I don' know why, they're pretty terrible as you say. Just have a feeling they'll square it up. Someone who's really mediocre is going to do something worthwhile. I know that means it could basically be eight of their players, but it will happen here I think. Like Ali or Jack Leach taking a bag of wickets or Bairstow/ Buttler actually making a score.

Awful to think about, I know.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I think this is a pretty fair comment tbh, but for some reason I think they will level the series here. I don' know why, they're pretty terrible as you say. Just have a feeling they'll square it up. Someone who's really mediocre is going to do something worthwhile. I know that means it could basically be eight of their players, but it will happen here I think. Like Ali or Jack Leach taking a bag of wickets or Bairstow/ Buttler actually making a score.

Awful to think about, I know.
I got this feeling too but I don't mind, I'd be happy with 2-2.

Burgey

I got this feeling too but I don't mind, I'd be happy with 2-2.
Yeah, I can see why you would be after England leveled it so comprehensively - and it's not easy to beat them in their conditions - but India is genuinely a lot better side than England, albeit they aren't batting that well either. The only match up in the batting line ups which doesn't objectively favour India is Root v Kohli at four, and they basically cancel each other out overall, though Root has been in better form lately.

Otherwise (talking quality of player here, not form, which is another discussion):

Sharma > Burns
Rahul > Hameed
Pujara > Malan
Rahane > Pope
Pant > Bairstow

So, coming into the series I would have thought India would have been backing themselves to win it, even allowing for it being played in English conditions. Especially given they now have good fast bowlers themselves.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I know history suggests we will lose this but I think we will win. :) Definitely expect a very close game on a grasscourt of a pitch. England will be stupid not to go for one and that is their best chance for a win as it really evens or in fact makes England the stronger side.

Burgey

I know history suggests we will lose this but I think we will win.
I think you should win, but have a feeling England will, if that makes sense. Proper lottery if it's a green top, which brings them right into it.

Been a great, topsy turvey series, this. Really entertaining as a neutral follower.

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
Would expect few changes based on the squad named. If Buttler is back, then surely, it's only for Bairstow? Wood will probably come in, for Coverton, most likely? I'd be surprised if Anderson and Robinson were left out, even with overs in their legs. Can't see England being bold enough to bat Woakes at seven to bring Leach in at Mo's expense.

Burns, Hameed, Malan, Root, Pope, Buttler, Ali, Woakes, Robinson, Wood, Anderson

Of those, I would only like to see Hameed, Root, Pope, and 8-11 playing Test cricket this time next year (but tbh, Anderson may call it a day after a Down Under whitewash and Wood's unlikely to be fit for Test cricket long term).

Flem274*

123/5
Starting to legit think England should be looking to the top run scorers in the County Championship, or at least the bloke who is probably the standout player despite being eligible for superannuation.

I don't rate Hameed or Malan as top order bats at all but they've been decent enough since recall and in any case you can't go chopping and changing so desperately to make a decent team. They'll get mauled in Australia but Malan might score some runs hidden at #6 when Stokes returns. He's woeful when it's in the channel though.

Bairstow and Moeen are just not good enough these days.

Burns
Hameed
Pope
Root (c)
Malan
Stevens
Buttler (wk)
Woakes
Robinson
Leach
Anderson

I'd like to put someone with some heat in there but Wood is mediocre at best and in England you don't really need it most of the time.