• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 4th Test @ The Oval, London - 2nd-6th September

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
India are absolute morals to win this game. If you like a bet, get on them asap before their odds shorten.
They're paying $2.20 with the TAB last I checked. India $2.70, $4.40 the draw.

I rarely bet on anything which can talk back to me tbh. Just think India is a pretty resilient side generally, their attack is as good as or better than England's and the host's batting is no better, save for Root who's in terrific form obviously.
:)

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
Fantastic performance by India. Even after a poor first two seasons, some tail-end thwacking and early incisions into the England top order meant England could never build the lead that you'd need if you were batting last. England's middle order seldom comes to the rescue when the pressure is on. Once the opening partnership ended, only Root was likely to resist.

Not sure England will make any significant changes. Coverton out for Wood, perhaps. Anderson will continue, despite looking shattered. Long-term, they really need to decide on Bairstow and Mo in Test cricket as they've been on a downhill trend for ages, which are unlikely to improve. Hameed, Root, Pope, Woakes and Robinson are the only guys I'd seriously consider playing next Summer; Leach too, perhaps.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
England should not panic tbh
I really think they should. They’re in massive strife for the immediate-medium future. They’ve 1.5 decent batsmen (Burns the 0.5) with Stokes out, they’re shelling catches regularly and their bowling is a right arm medium-fast-a-thon. The attack they’re playing atm is very conditions dependant and both Anderson and Robinson probably need a breather as well, but they now can’t afford to

D R O P
R
O
P

/rest them.

This has been a good series for the neutral. Ball mostly on top of bat keeps everyone interested.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I really think they should. They’re in massive strife for the immediate-medium future. They’ve 1.5 decent batsmen (Burns the 0.5) with Stokes out, they’re shelling catches regularly and their bowling is a right arm medium-fast-a-thon. The attack they’re playing atm is very conditions dependant and both Anderson and Robinson probably need a breather as well, but they now can’t afford to

D R O P
R
O
P

/rest them.

This has been a good series for the neutral. Ball mostly on top of bat keeps everyone interested.
Sadly this is all correct.

I’m not too worried about the bowling, but the batting instils no faith whatsoever. I remember when I used to moan about Alastair Cook not converting enough (this relatively early in his career) and yet these days if an opener makes it to 20 I’m like ‘they’ve seen off the new ball and given Joe time to take a ****, well done lads’

Bring back Bell, Collingwood and Pietersen

Furball

Evil Scotsman
forget pace options, if leach had been picked and bowled into the rough like jaddu did, anderson could have destroyed us with reverse
I was going to ask whether England have just become much worse at working with the ball since the Flower era, or whether India just got the better conditions this test to get the ball reversing.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
SHardul playing a massive hand in India winning 2 series defining games in SENA conditions definitely wasn't what I wanted this year, but my god does it bring a tear to my eyes. Also lord robbed of motm

slippy888

International Captain
Well done to India that was a complete team display and they deserved the win, on the rahane situation i dont think he should be dropped for 5th test the guy served his country for over 10 years you just dont do away with a player like that he should have a farewell match at least.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Umesh is almost 34 (when did that happen?). He's still a tad erratic but I hope he gets to play more regularly over the next two years. He's underachieved you'd have to say considering the tools at his disposal: genuine speed, conventional and reverse swing, strong as a bull. Let's see him bring down that avg below 30 before he calls it a day.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Umesh is almost 34 (when did that happen?). He's still a tad erratic but I hope he gets to play more regularly over the next two years. He's underachieved you'd have to say considering the tools at his disposal: genuine speed, conventional and reverse swing, strong as a bull. Let's see him bring down that avg below 30 before he calls it a day.
Has had an insane average at home in recent years, would be far higher in regards if India weren't in an ATG bowler era

Arachnodouche

International Captain
I think Ishant might finally be on his last legs. Hope he turns it around but his action looks more ragged than ever and he's also carrying a few extra pounds since the layoff. Perhaps that creates more room for Umesh abroad.

Shri

Mr. Glass
I was going to ask whether England have just become much worse at working with the ball since the Flower era, or whether India just got the better conditions this test to get the ball reversing.
ironically if sam curran had played, i think moeen ali would have had more to work with from the pitch given the left arm bowler's foot marks/rough

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sadly this is all correct.

I’m not too worried about the bowling, but the batting instils no faith whatsoever. I remember when I used to moan about Alastair Cook not converting enough (this relatively early in his career) and yet these days if an opener makes it to 20 I’m like ‘they’ve seen off the new ball and given Joe time to take a ****, well done lads’

Bring back Bell, Collingwood and Pietersen
Just discovered that Burns averages 32

He’s your version of late 80s Geoff Marsh - we all knew that he was **** but everyone else was more ****

Stokes will make a big difference if his head is sorted as could Foakes

Bowling will be a worry overseas apart from Robinson whom I rate

Archer injury is a big worry

Anderson can’t go on forever

Broad spends more time out of the side than in it

Wood is very quick but doesn’t move it

Curran moves it but isn’t quick enough

Anyone on the horizon?

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Just discovered that Burns averages 32

He’s your version of late 80s Geoff Marsh - we all knew that he was **** but everyone else was more ****

Stokes will make a big difference if his head is sorted as could Foakes

Bowling will be a worry overseas apart from Robinson whom I rate

Archer injury is a big worry

Anderson can’t go on forever

Broad spends more time out of the side than in it

Wood is very quick but doesn’t move it

Curran moves it but isn’t quick enough

Anyone on the horizon?
Stone is class, George garton is Rated by some but I'm not a fan personally, Mahmood is good. Also this young all-rounder named Darren Stevens going around ATM, 3 hundreds this season and Kent's leading wicket taker.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

D R O P
R
O
P

/rest them.

True, but they will get the conditions (and the clouds) they love in Old Trafford. If they don't panic, they are in with an even chance in the last game. But if they do panic and make some ill advised changes, I do think it plays into India's hands. I dunno what the wicket will be like over there but seems like it will be cloudy. Just play the 4 seamers. Moeen at 7 is ok, I guess but they may want to see if they can get Leach in.