• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 4th Test at the Narendra Modi Stadium, Ahmedabad, 4 - 8 Mar 2021

Arachnodouche

International Captain
It’s never good when your opener is dismissed skying it to mid off early on, but not sure it’s quite the ‘embarrassing’ or ‘gutless’ dismissal claimed here. He’s trying to be positive, we were criticised for not trying to do anything in the first innings of the last Test. Here he’s trying to put some pressure back on Axar, give him something to think about for a change, but it was fairly poorly executed.
Yeah, right idea, just didn't come off.

Spark

Global Moderator
It’s never good when your opener is dismissed skying it to mid off early on, but not sure it’s quite the ‘embarrassing’ or ‘gutless’ dismissal claimed here. He’s trying to be positive, we were criticised for not trying to do anything in the first innings of the last Test. Here he’s trying to put some pressure back on Axar, give him something to think about for a change, but it was fairly poorly executed.
It demonstrates that you don't trust your defense and that's the one of the most important aspects of playing spin in the subcontinent.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wtf hotstar, im not able to switch from tamil to english coms. Oh well, I'd rather listen to hemang badani than sunil gavaskar anyway.

Woodster

International Captain
England do need a period of calm on this wicket, in terms of a solid partnership that shows everyone else that it isn’t impossible to bat on here. Hope we don’t have the mindset that you can slip into when you have 7 batsman and an able keeper/bat and that’s to almost leave it to someone else to get the runs. “We’ve got a load of batsmen in there, someone will get the runs if I don’t” type thinking. Hoping someone takes responsibility.....over to you Joe!

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Fair enough, but that's a bit simplistic imo. He's already used his feet previously in the over and was obviously getting frustrated. Just another example of not trusting your defence

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ishant's inswinger been a thing of beauty this morning. Rarely get to see that amount of movement on the orthodox inducker these days.
If I had a slight criticism it would be he bowled a fraction short to make the absolutely most of it. Still a really threatening spell though.

Woodster

International Captain
It demonstrates that you don't trust your defense and that's the one of the most important aspects of playing spin in the subcontinent.
Not sure it does as a rule (maybe that is the case with Crawley), a batsman going after a spinner is generally a positive option to place pressure back on them, I don’t think it’s a bad move, especially against Axar who’s had a lot of success but is very inexperienced at this level.

Spark

Global Moderator
Not sure it does as a rule (maybe that is the case with Crawley), a batsman going after a spinner is generally a positive option to place pressure back on them, I don’t think it’s a bad move, especially against Axar who’s had a lot of success but is very inexperienced at this level.
Nah I've seen this trotted out for an excuse for underperforming batsmen who don't back themselves to last against a good spell of bowling for too long, especially in the subcontinent. It very, very rarely works, especially compared to the alternative of knuckling down and getting to grips with the pitch and the conditions and backing your defensive shots.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It was just muddled, tbh. None of the other adjectives actually apply and more like a heat of the moment kind of reactions. But it shows clearly he is not just playing the ball and has other things going on in his head, that level of premeditation to a spinner who bowls that quick is just not on.

Crawley is my boi and all. But he has to work on his mental game to really be as good as he promises to be.

And there goes Siraj. :laugh:

So far, the ball has swung, seamed, bounced and turned. How will Vaughan even choose what to whinge about? :lol:

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
What are his options then?
Trust his defence. Playing six impeccable forward defences can also be seen as a positive move, or can leaving the ball outside off if it's turning sharply

Also he'd already used his feet and hit a 4 previously in the over. It's just too predictable if that's all your trying to do

Woodster

International Captain
Nah I've seen this trotted out for an excuse for underperforming batsmen who don't back themselves to last against a good spell of bowling for too long, especially in the subcontinent. It very, very rarely works, especially compared to the alternative of knuckling down and getting to grips with the pitch and the conditions and backing your defensive shots.
You can’t let a good spinner just settle in, it’s not exactly turning square yet. I agree it has to be a balanced approach.