• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 4th Test at the MCG

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Will be missing most of tomorrow’s play as I spend the day with the family at Watson’s Bay Boutique Hotel, a Harbourside establishment with access to an adjacent beach which, while not great by Sydney standards, is far superior to anything in either Melbourne or he whole of the UK.

Spark

Global Moderator
Very stupid if they want that. Don't think either captain is that good in the role but they are all both sides have for it at present.
Smith isn't great on-field but he's underrated off-field IMO and even in the effect his batting has on the rest of the team. His mentality was a big part of us being actually competitive in India.

A good opportunity to show that over-my-dead-body attitude here over the next two days, which in some ways would be much more instructive than rolling over the opposition again when it comes to the next big challenge for this team in SA.

I kind of expect Root to be similiar if he ever sorts out the approach-to-the-crease problems which are basically hard-capping his innings at about 70. You can't have your captain doing what he did today, and at Perth, and at Adelaide and expect to be genuinely competitive away from home (or even at home if you ever happen to fall behind)

Last edited:

Cow

Banned
Does the water ever get warm on these uk beaches?
No.

the UK's charms are due to it consistently pushing the very frontiers of civilization when it comes to most art forms, education, science, business and language.

Australia has good surfing beaches, good weather and some semi-decent Italian restaurants. Other than that, there's nothing really to write home about outside of inner-city Melbourne.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No.

the UK's charms are due to it consistently pushing the very frontiers of civilization when it comes to most art forms, education, science, business and language.

Australia has good surfing beaches, good weather and some semi-decent Italian restaurants. Other than that, there's nothing really to write home about outside of inner-city Melbourne.

Darwin Award

U19 Cricketer
fella deserves it.

he's the only competent top order bat england have and people have been calling for him to retire ffs.

... Exactly!

He has the highest test score of 2017 + joint 2nd highest score as well and also is the first Englishman to hit 2 double centuries in a year since Wally Hammond did eons ago.

Sure,he might go through some bad patches of lean scores but tell me which other opener in England right now can hit a double century in tests at the moment given the chance,let alone twice in a
year.

quincywagstaff

International Debutant
I reckon Woakes' batting effort was underrated today. When he came in, England were on the verge of throwing away their advantage with some loose and misguided strokeplay. I reckon Australia expected to clean up the tail really quickly as per usual and him hanging around for around 90 minutes really mentally deflated them.

Unless he does something significant over the next couple of days, I reckon this Test could be a career-killer for Bird. He's 31, been on the fringes of the Test side for 5 years now and looked like a pale imitation of Hazlewood.

All things considered, thought Lyon did very well again. On a pitch offering very little for him and having to bowl a mountain of overs, he was still clearly the most economical of the bowlers and was the one who looked like turning things Australia's way in the middle session.

Australia have really missed Starc this Test (more than I thought they would), especially on a pitch like this where even when he's not bowling well he just has that ability to make things happen through reverse swing and tailing the ball (which this pitch does seem able to provide a bit of).

Compton

International Debutant
What's the record for most dismissals of one batsmen from the same bowler in a series? Moeen's got out to Lyon 6 times now I think?
Interesting question.

Hilfy was something like 5-15 dismissing Bopara in 09, I think.

Edit: Just checked McGrath to Atherton on a hunch. Had him 6 times in 2011. Can’t find/think of a 7 though.

Last edited: