• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 3rd Test at the Sardar Patel Sports Complex, Ahmedabad, 24 - 28 Feb 2021

Spark

Global Moderator
They seem more worried about the inconsistent turn than the inconsistent bounce.

I... doubt this line of thinking.
i actually think the reverse there isn't a bad option at all, not least because the way you play that shot means you watch the ball all the way onto the bat. the big hoick to midwicket though, nah.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Bad fielding by India against Stokes though. Virat and Rahane standing too deep, then Axar not watching the ball which could have been caught, Sundar letting a single to a 4.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
The great thing is all the people that moaned about Bairstow going home in the first place.
?
I mean aren't we proven justified for that moaning.

Bairstow played decently in Sri Lanka with some important knocks that helped England win the series. He went from that to looking hopeless here in India. Why? Maybe sending someone home for a month between tests to rest and having a couple of nets in the days before this game isn't the best preparation for playing in these challenging conditions. Wouldn't it have been better if he played the first 4 tests of the winter, or the last 4?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
i actually think the reverse there isn't a bad option at all, not least because the way you play that shot means you watch the ball all the way onto the bat. the big hoick to midwicket though, nah.
Yeah if it's full then the inconsistent bounce isn't much of an issue so sweeping or reversing those is a good idea. It's when they try it do it to length balls (and a sweep against a length ball is really very hard to distinguish from a hoick) that I think they should be looking to cover unexpected bounce instead.

Woodster

International Captain
The slog sweep has given Stokes most boundary success against spin since 2015, it’s a shot he’s most comfortable with and will hopefully execute well in this innings.

Spark

Global Moderator
Bad fielding by India against Stokes though. Virat and Rahane standing too deep, then Axar not watching the ball which could have been caught, Sundar letting a single to a 4.
yeah for as scary as the pitch has been, india haven't actually managed to put pressure on the batsmen in terms of keeping them on strike, preventing singles and a constant flow of runs. fields feel sort of... default