• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2nd Test at the MA Chidambaram Stadium, Chennai, 13 - 17 Feb 2021

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No way would Root have come and and said that Bess had been dropped but would learn from it blah blah blah if he knew Moeen was going home.

He's decided to jack it in some time during this game. I think Moeen's a great guy and he's played some great cricket for England, but I'm staggered that after 18 months or so of saying he wants to get back into test cricket, he jacks it in after one game, particularly knowing how important he is to the team for the next 2 games. Root and Silverwood have stuck their necks out to drop Bess for him and this is his reward.
This is just not true

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/55841852

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
The odd thing is the wording of Root's statement, along the lines of 'he has chosen to go home', which I don't recall him saying about the guys who were released after the SL tests. Yes there was always a possibility that Moeen would leave the squad after the 2nd test, but the impression is that it wasn't as cut and dry as with Buttler, Bairstow, Wood and Curran. Whether the England management had a change of heart after Moeen's improving performance during the 2nd test is anyone's guess.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Man kohli clearly hates Yadav. He got 12 overs the entire game.

Daily reminder that three spinners are never necessary. Go with an extra batsman, or another pacer if you are worried about injuries.
You can say that because 2 of them came good. In first test, we could do with 2 more spinners tbh.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
he's been okay. He's athletic and got good reflexes, and is high in confidence now. Looks good when it all comes off, but his basics are still shaky.
Shaky, yes but a million times better than he was in Australia. The gloves are stuck together, and most importantly, he seems to have improved on his biggest drawback as a keeper, the inability to stay calm and focused when receiving the ball. I think he will go from strength to strength now.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I didnt know this was an actual rule. Sounds a bit weird to dock points for pitch preparation? Doing it for over-rates is dumb enough but this feels even stupider.
They are assuming foul play on part of the home team effectively. What if England had won the game? Their points would have been docked? It's nonsense.

Last edited:

Ashwinashwath

School Boy/Girl Captain
Well, we win some we lose some. Those who win gloat, the ones who lose blame the pitches or umpiring decisions or bad team selection and so on. It is a natural thing.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Have to disagree on this one. Ashwin's knock was classy but the game was already up by then. England don't suddenly score 250 runs more in the 4th innings if Ashwin scores 60 less.

Ashwin put his boot down on England's throat, but it was Rohit who'd pummelled them to the floor.
They just went by something like influencing 3 innings of the 4 against 1, I suppose. I can see why Rohit's performance was the more game defining one, but if you consider the MotM definition as sustained impact on the game, then its probably Ashwin. Either way, we are just splitting hairs here, either could have got it as both deserved it, IMO.

Father Time

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Rohits innings here was for India what Roots was for England last week. Both were great, & put their sides in charge. Best to move on about the pitch. So this next test then, anyone any idea how this new stadium pitch will play? Are India bringing the Chennai pitch with them? Looks a fantastic stadium. For Moeen, unfortunately top class sport requires mental toughness, he has struggled previously, & I was surprised that with no incoming form he was selected for the Tests at all. God knows what Englands next selection will be. This rotation is causing more hassle than its worth. Crawley & Bairstow surely have to come into the top three, Archer back if he's fit, & I can see Stone & Anderson with Root being second spinner. Those to me are solid form picks for the unknown day/night match. Looking forward to a few nights proper sleep!

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
I didnt know this was an actual rule. Sounds a bit weird to dock points for pitch preparation? Doing it for over-rates is dumb enough but this feels even stupider.
I don't think docking points for pitch preparation is necessarily wrong, but this Test certainly doesn't warrant it.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I said it before but its worth pointing out again. The turn was consistent from day 1, the bounce was consistent across the first 2 days and was still not varying extravagantly when the game got over and the pace off the wicket was consistent all along. Like any wicket that aids extravagant swing, the trick is to somehow make it through an early period by when you get an idea of how much the ball is turning and bouncing. Since it was consistent, it was predictable and batsmen who get set were able to take advantage.

Its the sort of wicket where you get wickets falilng in bunches etc but to call it a bad wicket or even a moderate wicket is silly IMO. I would rather see such a track than the first 1 as it well could have been a draw had India batted better in the first dig and England not had someone as good as Anderson on the last day.

D

Deleted member 38150

Just wondering what could have happened if India won the toss in 1st test.. it was practically a road for first two days. Rohit in that form might have scored a massive massive score even a 300+.. hoping to see it happen in the next test.. once he gets set, he can bat forever with his style..